New member need help choosing 1st detector!!!

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My budget is under $500 I will be looking for coins and jewelry on the beach, local parks and maybe antique items out in some historical areas of town.

I heard good things about the Tesoro Vaquero and the Garret AT Pro are these the Ford vs. Chevy for the under $500 option ??

What is the BEST detector in my price range is there something else I should consider...?

Or do certain people like certain functions/brand features for specific detecting?

Thanks for helping the NEWBIE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen the pros go for as low as $400 & 1 @ $350 obviosly used but those deals r out there check eBay or craigslist etc they r there just gotta find one

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have to stay inside your budget a Delta 4000 should be on your list for consideration along with the Garrett Pro Pointer. Any of the diggers mentioned are great but to stay in my budget I'm using a Fiskars garden digger.

scarlett

May 28, 2013
Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to stay inside your budget a Delta 4000 should be on your list for consideration along with the Garrett Pro Pointer. Any of the diggers mentioned are great but to stay in my budget I'm using a Fiskars garden digger.

Speaking of the Fiskar shovel - I bought one from Kellyco when they were on sale and was surprised how easy it went through the soil. We have hard, gravel and clay mixed dirt and it sliced right through.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ace 250 and hate it! It is ok for coins that's about it..Depth is way off as is identification! I just can't understand why people like the 250..I must be missing something! !

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year I purchased an Ace 350 and have made incredible finds. Over 90 silver coins, 4 gold rings, many silver items, and interesting artifacts. This year I purchased an AT Pro. I have not had as much luck with it and still use the 350 more often. I am sure I just need to get use to using AT Pro. I really believe it take at least 100 hours or more to get really good with any detector. If you are going to really enjoy this hobby you must get a really good pin pointer. Without one you will only frustrate yourself. Find an old park or some old property that you can get permission to hunt and you will not be disappointed. Most of my finds came from an old park next to the public pool and an old church my wife works for. Don't just search the obvious areas. You will be amazed at what you will find in a wide open field!

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ace 250 and hate it! It is ok for coins that's about it..Depth is way off as is identification! I just can't understand why people like the 250..I must be missing something! !

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I feel the same way about the 250

Buy from anyone but kellyco. There packages r garbage for the price. Better deals and packages out there

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel the same way about the 250

Buy from anyone but kellyco. There packages r garbage for the price. Better deals and packages out there

Ya,im not sure all kellyco's packages r crap I mean i dealt with them got a good deal all was good & no complaints & then they have a fathers day deal buy a atp,or etrac or a f75 & get a free bounty hunter pilot doesnt sound that bad

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say so far I really like the 350. I use my Infinium in the surf, wet sand, on tailings piles and in places that aren't full of nails, caps and pull tabs. I have been using the 350 in dry sand, around foundations, parks and playgrounds with great results. I think it a great machine for the money. I have done very well with the 350 pinpointer feature. I'm not sure what all the *****in is about.

scarlett

May 28, 2013
Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a package with my AT Pro from Kellyco and I found the items in it to be great. They are extras thrown in with your detector that - to me - helped me to have everything I need to start detecting immediately. They are certainly no cheap looking/feeling items. Like I said - great to start out with and if I need to upgrade later I will. In my opinion though its a nice package to get with a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions