New member need help choosing 1st detector!!!

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My budget is under $500 I will be looking for coins and jewelry on the beach, local parks and maybe antique items out in some historical areas of town.

I heard good things about the Tesoro Vaquero and the Garret AT Pro are these the Ford vs. Chevy for the under $500 option ??

What is the BEST detector in my price range is there something else I should consider...?

Or do certain people like certain functions/brand features for specific detecting?

Thanks for helping the NEWBIE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My budget is under $500 I will be looking for coins and jewelry on the beach, local parks and maybe antique items out in some historical areas of town.

I heard good things about the Tesoro Vaquero and the Garret AT Pro are these the Ford vs. Chevy for the under $500 option ??

What is the BEST detector in my price range is there something else I should consider...?

Or do certain people like certain functions/brand features for specific detecting?

Thanks for helping the NEWBIE!

AT Pro you won't be sorry

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apples and oranges bro......apples and oranges! Pick something that suits your needs. As long as you stick with the mainstream name brands, you'll be happy with whatever you get I think.

One thing to remember though, allow for some of the essential accessories. You may want to buy a MD for about $100 less than your budget and get a decent digging tool and a pinpointer.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it's largely a Ford/Chevy thing. Fans of whatever will always point out the strength of their favorite whatever and either ignore aor say it's worth the trade off because my whatever does this better and that's what care more about.

That said, there isn't a detector worth owning in the sub $500 range that doesn't have Tesoros name on it. IMHO, I'd try out the Tesoro Golden uMax. Mainly because I've never used one but it's pretty intriguing and has some cool features.

Just my opinion...doesn't mean jack!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also check into a local detecting club. They may have some input as to what works good in your area. They might even have some you can try before you buy or an extra they would sell you.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I will totally agree that Tesoro does make a fine product, I think there are some others worth mentioning- especially if you want something like a Lesche, or Garrett Pro-Pointer.

The Delta 4000, F2, F4, Xterra 305, Ace 250/350, and Pioneer 505 are all worth a look and would allow for the other things you'll need to get started in the hobby and still come in at or under your budget.

Some of the MDs I mentioned above are also offered in package deals that have extra coils, which you'll probably want at some point.... Just my two cents?!?

OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I will totally agree that Tesoro does make a fine product, I think there are some others worth mentioning- especially if you want something like a Lesche, or Garrett Pro-Pointer.

The Delta 4000, F2, F4, Xterra 305, Ace 250/350, and Pioneer 505 are all worth a look and would allow for the other things you'll need to get started in the hobby and still come in at or under your budget.

Some of the MDs I mentioned above are also offered in package deals that have extra coils, which you'll probably want at some point.... Just my two cents?!?

RotZorn after reading about the Garrett pro pointer it totally sounds worth the money I will for sure be buying one in the near future.

I seen that the Ace 250/350 is good what makes the AT Pro worth the extra coin?

Is this good for a digging tool:

U-Dig-It Stainless Steel Folding Shovel with Pouch

If not what is the best choice for a digging tool?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ENTHUSIAST,

You talk about Beach hunting, dry or wet, salt or freshwater as all make a difference and this causes your choices to be less for certain conditions.

IF you are hunting other peoples lawns the lawns must be treated with the utmost of care, private lawns or park lawns!!!! If someone trotted up to my front door with a shovel or after giving them permission I saw them carrying in a shovel I would tell them to get off of my property. If you are in a park with a shovel they will likely kick you out as others before you have not filled their holes or have left a Mess. Get a Lesche digging tool for lawns, its The Best. If you have wide open spaces to dig in then get a real metal detecting shovel. Call some of the Sponsors down towards the bottom of the Forum page and ask questions about diggers, detectors, earphones, pouches for finds/trash or a "nail apron". Digging tools Must be really strong if not they break/bend and then you say naughty words at them, don't frustrate yourself get a really solid tool first time out! Also when digging use a sizeable drop cloth to put the loose dirt on.

195_9593.JPG This is the Lesche and it comes with a belt loop carrying case.
Likely "the real tools" will kill your budget BUT find out what they are first, go to a detector dealers store and look at what they have their. Also go to the Lesche website and look at All they offer and ask more questions as to what and why people own/use them. Go to the Sponsors websites and look at what they stock.

The detectors, depending on the beach use, any of the major brands will serve you well. The Tesoro's intrigue me but I've never owned one. I know White's and trust them. Usually the more expensive the detector the steeper the learning curve but do not get the bottom of the line machine from anyone. Within your budget buy the best detector you can, I think all of them will pinpoint and if you pay attention to how to pinpoint you will not need the Garret Pro Pointer right away. BUT, one of the Tnet Sponsors might just make you a smoking deal on a detector/Lesche/G Pro Pointer?! ASK! If you do not ask you will never know, asking may not change anything but then it just may. ASK!

Terry Soloman, here on Tnet, is a staunch Tesoro man BUT even he posted a best first detector thread that included several other major brands, look for it on his website as it was a good reviews of simpler machines yet good ones.

You are stepping of into a consuming hobby! As soon as you start finding 'stuff' your interest will go up. If you happen to find silver or gold right off your life will really change (mine did when that happened)!

If you Do Not read your machines users manual and/or you do not practice, practice, practice you will Not like this hobby. This hobby is all about learning, reading, practice and doing it all over again time after time, never ending. As well as asking questions just like you've done.

Also, it is Very Practical/Helpful to build a "Test Garden" of buried items that you know what they are and where they are in your garden. Bury them at just under the surface to 6" down: so that will be three pennies, three nickels, pulltabs, bottle caps, etc. Leave a good three feet between each target. After planting day water your garden really well so the air comes out and the ground compacts. Oh, the angle you bury the targets at makes a difference: flat is like zero, 15 degrees tilted and so on till the target is vertical - each angle can give you a different unique response on your machine. Yes some of it gets complicated but heck if it was just drop dead simple absolutely everyone would be doing it and likely the hobby would be ruined, IMHO.

Best of luck with your research and your choices, now get to it! :hello: Happy Hunting....................63bkpkr

Note: IF you happen to have really good targets in your area, save the coins/rings up and use your finds to purchase your accessories.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get the an ace spend the extra and atleast get the at pro. U will get bored with the ace in a hurry and the bell tone will drive u nuts.

I have a minelab safari and love it. U migbt wanna look in lnto the xterra 505.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest going to a md shop if possible and try several out. If thats not feasible, watch as many videos as possible on YouTube. I've owned Garrett's (AT Pro, Ace 350) and now Tesoro's exclusively because I prefer their discrimination circuitry, super-lightweight, audio tones, and of course the lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a $500 limit, I would look into the Fisher F4 or Minelab Exterra 305 for $399 each. Although I'm enjoying my ACE 350, The other models offer more machine than the Garrett in that price range. I would also put the extra $100 towards a Garrett Pro Pointer. I can't tell you how much easier it is hunting with a pointer, I just received mine this past week and I regret not buying it with my machine in the first place. Most vendors on this site offer a Lesche or comparable digger and some other cool stuff as a bonus. Read the reviews before you buy from here, I've personally dealt with two and they're are great to deal with! One even offers easy financing if you need it! Good luck!!

Last edited:

mccloud39

Jul 21, 2012
League City, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250-
Garrett Pro Pointer-
Razor Edge Gator Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the Garrett at pro adventure pack. It's 640 and maybe if you asked they could throw in a pin pointer with the package. This package comes with literally everything you will need for years of metal detecting. It's on kellyco metal detectors. I just think it is a great deal, compared to when I bought my detector.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to point out that at BigBoysHobbies, a sponsor of this site, an AT Pro is $594 including free shipping and Lesche digger.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also get a Fisher F4 with Lesche digger for $399. A ProPointer is $127. If you call Bart at BigBoysHobbies he might be able to swing a package deal.

OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You talk about Beach hunting, dry or wet, salt or freshwater as all make a difference and this causes your choices to be less for certain conditions.

Beach near salt water but I have no Scuba equipment or training... so I will not be underwater.

IF you are hunting other peoples lawns the lawns must be treated with the utmost of care, private lawns or park lawns!!!! If someone trotted up to my front door with a shovel or after giving them permission I saw them carrying in a shovel I would tell them to get off of my property. If you are in a park with a shovel they will likely kick you out as others before you have not filled their holes or have left a Mess. Get a Lesche digging tool for lawns, its The Best. If you have wide open spaces to dig in then get a real metal detecting shovel. Call some of the Sponsors down towards the bottom of the Forum page and ask questions about diggers, detectors, earphones, pouches for finds/trash or a "nail apron". Digging tools Must be really strong if not they break/bend and then you say naughty words at them, don't frustrate yourself get a really solid tool first time out! Also when digging use a sizeable drop cloth to put the loose dirt on.

^^^ Great advice I appreciate the tips on etiquette being new to the hobby this is also info I was looking for thanks.

View attachment 806453 This is the Lesche and it comes with a belt loop carrying case.
Likely "the real tools" will kill your budget BUT find out what they are first, go to a detector dealers store and look at what they have their. Also go to the Lesche website and look at All they offer and ask more questions as to what and why people own/use them. Go to the Sponsors websites and look at what they stock.

Okay so I guess I will be getting a Lesche or a Predator Model 85B digging tool.

The detectors, depending on the beach use, any of the major brands will serve you well. The Tesoro's intrigue me but I've never owned one. I know White's and trust them. Usually the more expensive the detector the steeper the learning curve but do not get the bottom of the line machine from anyone. Within your budget buy the best detector you can, I think all of them will pinpoint and if you pay attention to how to pinpoint you will not need the Garret Pro Pointer right away. BUT, one of the Tnet Sponsors might just make you a smoking deal on a detector/Lesche/G Pro Pointer?! ASK! If you do not ask you will never know, asking may not change anything but then it just may. ASK!

Terry Soloman, here on Tnet, is a staunch Tesoro man BUT even he posted a best first detector thread that included several other major brands, look for it on his website as it was a good reviews of simpler machines yet good ones.

So Tesoro is a great detector but maybe not best for a 1st choice got it.

You are stepping of into a consuming hobby! As soon as you start finding 'stuff' your interest will go up. If you happen to find silver or gold right off your life will really change (mine did when that happened)!

This is why I am here!!! I cant wait to get my 1st silver and gold! :hello2:

If you Do Not read your machines users manual and/or you do not practice, practice, practice you will Not like this hobby. This hobby is all about learning, reading, practice and doing it all over again time after time, never ending. As well as asking questions just like you've done.

Also, it is Very Practical/Helpful to build a "Test Garden" of buried items that you know what they are and where they are in your garden. Bury them at just under the surface to 6" down: so that will be three pennies, three nickels, pulltabs, bottle caps, etc. Leave a good three feet between each target. After planting day water your garden really well so the air comes out and the ground compacts. Oh, the angle you bury the targets at makes a difference: flat is like zero, 15 degrees tilted and so on till the target is vertical - each angle can give you a different unique response on your machine. Yes some of it gets complicated but heck if it was just drop dead simple absolutely everyone would be doing it and likely the hobby would be ruined, IMHO.

More like fishing than easter egg hunting 10-4.

Best of luck with your research and your choices, now get to it! :hello: Happy Hunting....................63bkpkr

Note: IF you happen to have really good targets in your area, save the coins/rings up and use your finds to purchase your accessories.

Thanks for all the help 63bkpkr!

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Garrett at pro adventure pack. It's 640 and maybe if you asked they could throw in a pin pointer with the package. This package comes with literally everything you will need for years of metal detecting. It's on kellyco metal detectors. I just think it is a great deal, compared to when I bought my detector.

So look for or ask for a package deal pricing on a detector, pin pointer and digger to get a better price thanks!

OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to point out that at BigBoysHobbies, a sponsor of this site, an AT Pro is $594 including free shipping and Lesche digger.

Nice thanks for the heads up on BigBoysHobbies I have only been on kellyco looking at pricing!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What you are seeking may not supply satisfaction with one detector. The beach is ruled by pulse induction (PI) detectors and the park hunting is best done by a high end detector with a visual indicator. So what do you do with a $500 limit? The answer is to get 2 high end used detectors. Hay, they don't have to be new. High end detectors hold up well.
Here's an example, I use a Whites XLT that is 13 years old but has the computer power that is beyond some newer models. On the beach, I use a 13 year old Whites Surfmaster PI that will find rings at 10" and boat anchors at over 2' and it has.
Older, high end models might be better for you. You won't out grow them like you would a starter. Get the one you will use the most first.
Hay, I am just talking from my 40+ years of experience. Frank...
PS: Check out the classifies here and on E Bay. Perhaps some of the dealers have tradeins.

111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread