Unwanted Encounters?

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just curious if anyone has ever had any unwanted encounters with wildlife while detecting? Like snakes, skunks, etc? I live in mountain lion and bear country...there were a couple of young lion cubs sunning near the elementary school last year! I have coyotes on my own land all the time and have seen snakes and scorpions. I live in the high desert of the Sierra/Nevada mountains...so know if I go off the beaten trail..I will have to be especially careful...but wondering if anyone else has had any encounters and if so.. how did you deal with them?
How about any unwanted human encounters? Won't always have hubby with me (especially around town), ... should I take my dog..or be better off without him? Suggestions and comments welcome! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In my previous post.. I asked about taking my dog... I didn't mean Nugget.. the pup in the pic. I meant my Collie/Shepard mix! :D ;D

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One black bear and a few coyotes.

I have a ponytail down to my waist, tattoos, weigh 250 lbs and look a biker in the right clothes. I've never had anyone bother me. :D

If you go without your hubby, carry a gun, pepper spray or something to defend yourself. Its a nasty world we live in, don't become a statistic! Take care 8)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
For one, make sure your dogs are vaccinated against rabies. ?The larger dog would probably be alright to take w/you. Most coyotes are scared of humans but as we encroach on their territory more and more it'll start to change Skunks are usually nocturnal meaning night creatures. Living in a desert are ?youprobably know that most snakes prefer shade during high sun and usually come out in morning to warm up. Make sure you take a cell phone w/you and tell your 1/2 just where you'll be. If you happen to see lion cubs, steer clear cause mama isn't too far away. By the way, have you thought of hanging a coil under nugget while you walk and have the control box on your belt. ?theach nugget to sit when the detector beeps thus he does the pinpointing then the digging! ;D :D HH!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
True Metal, you sound like a big teddy bear friend of mine 'cept he is a biker.(kind of like a Dan Blocker in leather) :D

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for all the good advice guys! I appreciate it! Too funny about putting the coil on Nugget! As fast as that little guy runs.. he would beep everywhere!
I guess my biggest concern would be the mountain lions.. every year there are sightings of those big boys here!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only ran into a snake once. Don't know what kind, It was at a Park and about 3 Feet long. altho I did jump at the initial sight of it. I used my coil to play with it a little. what ever it was it was un-intrested in me & only struck when I put the edge of the coil in the middle of its back, and pushed on it.? ? ? ? ? we have Black Bears around here, walked within 10 feet of one once, Not While Detecting. all it did was Stand Strait up. when I stoped and looked at it..... it dropped down on all fours and made movements in several directions like it was trying to decide, "should I climb a Tree, Run Left, Run Right, Just Ignore this Guy or What? :D " it then walked in a circle and sat down ?? :o ? .? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? the only problem I'v ever had, was with Dogs belonging to INSENSITIVE owners , who didn't seem to care , when they would run up to me & bark incessently at me while I,m detecting .? ;jeff

OP
OP
treasure_lady

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've only seen a bear once since I've been here..and it was running across the road. That's the only way I want to see a bear! Snakes don't bother me as long as I know they aren't poisonous! I would be a bit nervous about other people's dogs though!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only once, but me and my buddys got him and dragged him out of the woods...
ha ha ha

Attachments

• big_snake[1][3].jpg
    big_snake[1][3].jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 380

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT would be hard to miss ;D

Biggunshunter

Jan 25, 2005
North Augusta SC
I went saturday to a friends house saturday ca 1900. Their cats kept attacking the loop and their 8 year old kept coming over and dropping nails in my cutouts and then it rained. Dealing with bears may have been easier. But you can't get upset when someone lets you in their yard.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I encountered a bottle of bourbon once detecting in rural Kentucky....that WAS real wild. Took me 30 minutes to walk in to the spot, two and a half hours to get back out.....WHEW....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was Everything you found in PAIRS that day ? :D

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
LMAO! :D

"Why are they're two of you?".........Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) "Tombstone"

P.S. I didn't find the bourbon....I took it with me. Please don't drink anything that you find while MD'ing!!!!!

upier

Jan 6, 2005
i always carry my camera when detecting all but schools and parks,
stumbled across this beast
while up in the canyon last Saterday.

Attachments

• DSCF0276.JPG
    DSCF0276.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 279

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
carry a big gun, you don't want to hurt a large wild animal. and you being a woman you should stay at home at least one week per month if you know what i mean. while hunting arrowheads several years ago with my bro and his girlfreind she didn't know about that 1 week a month rule and shortly after spreading out across this feild i looked up and a 8 point buck was standing about 2 feet from her. needless to say she was paralyzed. the buck wouldn't move for our screaming or throwing rocks at it. he didn't know about the big gun rule though, now he looks across my living room. the 44 is heavy, and sometimes gets in the way, but if you need it and it is at home under the mattress there is the possibility of a bad day. but i will also say if in the wilds and you are a lady, these days a man is probably your worst worry. be safe, have fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread