Noob Lost in Research....

D

DamonH

I got a metal detector about a month ago. I live in San Antonio, Texas. From reading all the posts I have learned a ton. I am mostly interested in finds of the historical significance. Going and finding recent clad at a local park just isn't me. So I started to read. And read, and read, and read. I got to UTSA and our library is actually full of books and maps and such. Everytime I have a lead I find out that it is illegal to md there. Thought I had one yesterday only to drive downtown and see the area was overrun by the homeless. So after of about a month of reading and browsing I am running out of options. What is funny is I am spending more time reading about the history of this or that county or city than I am on my actual studies...anyway, just wanted to vent because I am beginning to get frustrated. All I want is one musket ball or something, is that asking to much?....lol

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Damon, I heard there is a cache of treasure in the basement of the Alamo. I would be careful digging there though. Good luck in your relic pursuit. I have heard that searching parks for clad might sharpen your MD skills. I am getting so old, I have to be careful where I hide stuff to practice on. I sometimes forget where I have hidden the coins so I guess I am actually seeding my own yard. You might head out on some farm to market roads and look for old foundations. Permission to MD should be easier than trying to hunt Bambi. Cheers,Jim

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Ah, someone else is a Pee Wee Herman fan! LMAO! Yes, in the basement, perhaps a bicycle....but Large Marge will be guarding it.

If I were interested in finding a musket ball from the "battle", I'd look up to 1,000 yards away from the Alamo, in someone's yard. The rifles of the day had tremendous range and not every round fired hit the walls of the fort. The Alamo has been excavated time and time again, nothing at all to be found there, even though to walk thru the grounds would make one think otherwise.

You're not asking too much at all. Texas is richer in relics than pride. Your town is big, think different and/or get outside of the city limits to find your musket ball. There are plenty of them still in the dirt. For what it's worth, a chunk of lead under a detector sounds like an aluminum can...most will pass on that target......

Don't Mess With Texas!

Jamie

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember the Alamo!!! It was located on the east banks of the river and was later moved to the west banks, but that was still about 100 years before the battle of the Alamo. My suggestion would be to scratch the down town area all together and shoot for some of the farm land that is still in the general area. Another idea would be to check out the older FM roads in the area, also retrace the route from Goliad into SA. Don't forget about all those almost ghost towns away from the major highways that dried up when 37 went in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread