Finds at former site of shop with metal forge on 1930s farmstead

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detected this site yesterday. Got lots of readings as might be expected at former location of old tack shop with a hearth where horseshoes, tools and other items were forged. Here is a picture of the items. They include leather scraping tool (looks like axe head), blade for mowing machine, nut with broken bolt, rivet, melted metal, round button or some kind of broken snap, snap top, flattened metal flashlight case, horseshoe nail or old flat nail, and an old spike. Nothing of value but relics just the same. I am definitely going back. I am told that customers hung around and chewed the fat while equipment was being made or repaired and it was a busy place. The snap top and spike were located 6" deep under a big shade tree in front of the farm house.

image-4052918906.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi papaw, I don't think that's a broken axe head but appears to be a tool used to scrape the leather. I may be incorrect but have seen similar leather working tools and it sure would be tough to snap an axe head in that fashion. A neat relic find considering someone probably held that in their hands daily for ever.

OP
OP
WVPapaw

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi papaw, I don't think that's a broken axe head but appears to be a tool used to scrape the leather. I may be incorrect but have seen similar leather working tools and it sure would be tough to snap an axe head in that fashion. A neat relic find considering someone probably held that in their hands daily for ever.

Rob, I think you are correct. I couldn't figure out why there was not a slot for the axe handle and then thought it was chipped on the blunt end so maybe it broke. What you say makes perfect sense that it was used to scrape leather which makes it even more unique. Thanks for the input and help in identifying the object.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread