value of dug coins ,grading and cleaning

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what do shops pay for coins you dug from the ground? do they grade them if you ask? should you clean the coins/finds when you find them or not clean them at all if you should clean them what should you use without hurting the value? is the copper/nickel coins the hardest to deal with as far as damage goes? i assume silver and gold coins hold up better to elemental damage. i heard you should not use peroxide

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver can come out pretty toasted depending on where you live and what it has been exposed to. Dig a seated dime last year that was so corroded/crusted, I couldn't even tell it was a dime. Have dug many old barber coins from lake shorelines that were about half their thickness due to corrosion.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin price will depend on year, mint, and condition. I start cleaning them very simply....hot soapy water and a soft bristle toothbrush. I then check year, mint, and condition. If it's a common date and/or not the greatest condition, don't bother with bringing it to a coin store unless you just want to sell it for metal value. If it's a rare/valuable coin, take it in to your coin store and get their opinion. They will usually make you an offer and declare what they think the grade is. Most dug coins will have a wear grade and also a degree of environmental damage.....such as "VF with porosity" on copper coins or XF with scratches, etc. You can take or leave the offer they make....no obligation. I'd get at least 3 opinions before I would sell a rare coin in any condition. In some cases, cleaning a coin further will improve it's value but most of the time it doesn't. In many cases, it can ruin a coins value if not done properly. If you want to try it, find a modern coin of the same metal and damage on which to experiment. There is a section on TN devoted to cleaning and preserving your finds. Check that section for tips and procedures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread