scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently traded for an Ace 250 and have tried hard to like it but it is going away soon. I have a Tesoro Compadre that hunts circles around the Ace 250 and doesn't have the &%#(!!! Bing Bang Bong DING DING to put up with. I also have a Tesoro Lobo but find my self using the Compadre when ever my daughter is not with me. A friend has the AT Pro and does very well with it. He has offered to let me try it out and maybe i will one day.

adaminnh

Oct 8, 2012
Franklin new Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 350 and my buddy has the 250. Ive gotten to follow behind him twice now(one quick and one 3hr). He has pulled up some silver quarters at 8ish inches. I pull em up at 11inches. Right behind him. Got a nickel out of a hole he dug for another coin but the nickle was a bit deeper. Seems to be a decent machine although ive not used it. Getting silver at 8 inches is getting silver at 8 inchs regardless of brand name. You just have to learn it like any machine. From what I read on a lot of peoples threads, all detectors can throw off a ''wierd'' tone or numbers so like Mr. Garrett says...if it beeps dig it.

brewern

Mar 30, 2013
I started with an Ace 250, after awhile got the 350 and now own the AT Pro. I have found relics, silver, and gold with the 250 and 350.

Sure I dug lots of trash, but could definitely tell the difference between a coin and likely a trash signal.

The Ace 250 and 350 are great machines for beginners.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked my 250. It was very easy to use and I found lots of good stuff. The only reason I upgraded was because I started md-ing in iron rich soil and needed a discriminator. The use of any metal detector is more the person's ability to use it then it is the ability of the detector to detect. They all detect coins. They all find relics. My ACE 250 was very good at it. But, I actually practiced and read the directions - Obviously the person described above chose not to, and no detector would have worked well for him/her. The people I know that have bought the 250 have all been happy with it. Yes, it does not perform like a $1000 detector, because it isn't a $1000 detector. It doesn't matter which beginner detector you buy. The determining factor is whether or not you want a visual display and if you are willing to put out the necessary effort to learn how to use it. We all know this to be true. Judging any detector by this thread is defective logic.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, but users should be forced to use headphones as to not annoy the masses!

Thank you for stating that fella! I was attacked once in here for saying that!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just make sute they got a volume adjustment or the awful bell tone will blow ur ears out on the 250

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was nice reading the different perspectives on what MD to purchase.....a couple points seem to come from this.....first is that you need to understand your machine....the second is that with all machines, the signal is a guess.......granted it may be a good guess, but a guess and if you hope to get everything, you need to dig everything........certainly diggin everything may not be easy.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought an Ace 250 to get back into the hobby. My Fisher 1260X bought in '85 was still a far better machine - 28 years old!

Gave the toy Ace to my brother.....

Kept the 1260X

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.
You've got a lot to learn about detecting...the ace 250 is a great starter detector and its not a toy.

RustyAxeheads

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER DISCOVERY 2200 x2, TESORO COMPADRE, GARRETT ACE 250, GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good starter unit because it's in the price-range and level of use of beginners. You with your $1400 unit don't sound like you ever had a beginning, and I'm sure you did. I started with a cheap lil $50 unit I got for Christmas when I was young. I enjoyed it and learned how to use it. Not everyone who owns a guitar can play it, and definitely not everyone who owns a $200 or a $1500 guitar can make it sing.

I've yet to make a find that would justify me buying an expensive detector, but I have no doubts it would be way better than any I own now. When it comes to showing family I can drag out with me what the hobby is about, the aces 250 and 350, and my treasure hunters are instrumental in putting things in terms they can understand.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said & thats just it just because even I have one if those expensive detectors hey im still learning it, & it doesnt mean no one with a less expensive detector Kant gonna fly by me it comes down to how well u know ur detector & with the learning Curve on my v3i , ill be learning it for a while lol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, there was an opportunity to test settings on the ace. Once a coin is located by learned unit, if depth not the issue tweaking, mainly by mode and reducing discrim. would get it dialed in for ground type. Some types don,t like highest sensitivity,actually they are best conditions,and backing it down a notch or two tames targeting tiny targets and rusty ghosts. Time required to figure out units capability ,its neat to compare different types on site but frustrating if its rushed.
On the right day coins at several inches possible and proven. For a starter or inexpensive back up i would have no problem getting some one started with an ace.
Looking forward to comparing one personally with an e trac a unit i have interest in but they all are interesting, depends on wallet and putting hours on em.
I ran an ace 150 for years,the 350 is much nicer but a partner has done real well with the150 and its fun to compare on questionable targets.
The bell tones are another thing. Easier to demonstrate in the field but go far beyond what i expected. Used to users benefit they let you know of targets and tattle on whats discrimmed for an instant.(iron especially) On long hunts it becomes a tone thing for me.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good starter unit because it's in the price-range and level of use of beginners. You with your $1400 unit don't sound like you ever had a beginning, and I'm sure you did. I started with a cheap lil $50 unit I got for Christmas when I was young. I enjoyed it and learned how to use it. Not everyone who owns a guitar can play it, and definitely not everyone who owns a $200 or a $1500 guitar can make it sing.

I've yet to make a find that would justify me buying an expensive detector, but I have no doubts it would be way better than any I own now. When it comes to showing family I can drag out with me what the hobby is about, the aces 250 and 350, and my treasure hunters are instrumental in putting things in terms they can understand.

I have a ace 250 still, so I am allowed to bash this unit. Yes I upgraded to the safari and love this machine worth every penny I spent. There are better starter machines than the ace series.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a ace 250 still, so I am allowed to bash this unit. Yes I upgraded to the safari and love this machine worth every penny I spent. There are better starter machines than the ace series.

Not disagreeing, but from the various reviews I've read, most people who own machines in that price range most always dislike something.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually started out with a Tesoro Silver Saber in the mid 1980's, I still have that machine and it still works great. Todays model is called the Silver U Max I believe. For around the same price it is three times the machine that the Ace 250 is. It is built solid, doesn't look or feel like a toy, and has a lifetime warranty. I hope anyone looking to get a starter machine would give it a try. Problem is that the peeps on here pushing the ace 250 have probably never seen or used a Tesoro, where I have, this is thread is hopefully going to save people the money that they would've spent on the 250. If you have used the 250 and haven't been around any other brands then your argument is invalid. Sure the 250 is better than a stick with a magnet on it, but not by much.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got a lot to learn about detecting...the ace 250 is a great starter detector and its not a toy.

Been at it for almost 30 years now, I know a dog when I see one. Maybe you need to take some time with other detectors and see what you have been missing... I think you could certainly learn a lot. Of any MD I have ever seen in action in 30 years of detecting the 250 is the dog of them all. My friend has a 15 year old bounty hunter that would hunt circles around the 250. Not to mention my 30 year old Tesoro and ANY Whites detector made in the last 30 years.

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected since I was 15....I am now 55. I have used Garretts...Whites....and had a Fisher 1280x for years. Got out of the detecting for a while...and just recently decided to get another machine.
I knew that Garrett has always had good equipment...so I decided for the money at the time that I would purchase the 250. I am very well pleased with it. From my experience in the field with different machines...it does as well a job as any out there. I also like the bell tone....it tells me....you have a coin there...or a "good" target. The pinpointer allows me to determine if it's an aluminum can or maybe a coin or ring. "Big" pinpoint usually is a can.....small pinpoint is usually a ring or coin. It's really all about the experience with any detector. Each time the 250 says it's a dime or penny....9 times out of 10...that's what it is. I went on my first trip with the 250 to a local high school.....in the first day and half I dug about 75 coins...2- silver rings and various other items like bracelets..etc. I am confident that if you know how to use a machine....you don't have to spend a fortune on one. I am not partial to any brand....and if were back in Florida again going to hunt the beaches...I would go for the Fisher 1280x again....to hunt the surf. Someone gave me a Bounty Hunter....I gladly sold it in a yard sale!

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like what you got by all means have fun with it. From what I saw personally, I could not in good faith recommend the Ace 250 to anyone. I went to a school with my Tesoro about three months ago and in three hours found 99 coins and a pharmaceutical weight. Got tired of digging and went home.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been at it for almost 30 years now, I know a dog when I see one. Maybe you need to take some time with other detectors and see what you have been missing... I think you could certainly learn a lot. Of any MD I have ever seen in action in 30 years of detecting the 250 is the dog of them all. My friend has a 15 year old bounty hunter that would hunt circles around the 250. Not to mention my 30 year old Tesoro and ANY Whites detector made in the last 30 years.
So your saying that all the people that think the 250 is a good starter detector just don't know any better? You say you get what you pay for, yet your V3i came with a bad coil from the factory...I still say the 250 is a great starter detector, even if I don't know what Im talking about.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there alright for 6 inches but not so great beyond that...ive dug alot of silver 13 in a day 11 dimes and 2 quarters i think it was with my 350....but like i said nothing past 6 inches

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread