Gierbitz

May 15, 2013
hamburg ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sure a lot of you have upgraded in the past. I have been using a fisher f2 for a year and a half. I just ordered a minelab explorer Se pro. I'm curious if anyone on here has made a similar move to a minelab. I've been doing a lot of research and understand that they are a completely different machine than what I'm used to. If anyone has any tips for me that would help the transition I would appreciate it. I'm excited and can't wait till it gets here early next week.

Upvote 0

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with the f2 and just recently got a minelab safari. Probably the toughest thing to transition into for me so far has been the target numbers displayed. For example, a modern quarter will ring up in the high 70s low 80s on the F2 where on the minelab it shows me a number in the 30s to 40s. That won't be an issue after I spend some more time with it though. The sounds the minelab makes takes some getting used to as well. I've had the safari for just under a week now, been out 3 times with it. Definitely not fully comfortable with it yet, and have dug lots of targets I probably would have ignored if detected with the F2 because I am still learning what the minelab is trying to tell me. Great machine though, I have been detecting every chance I get with it. Good luck with your minelab!

OP
OP
Gierbitz

Gierbitz

May 15, 2013
hamburg ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with the f2 and just recently got a minelab safari. Probably the toughest thing to transition into for me so far has been the target numbers displayed. For example, a modern quarter will ring up in the high 70s low 80s on the F2 where on the minelab it shows me a number in the 30s to 40s. That won't be an issue after I spend some more time with it though. The sounds the minelab makes takes some getting used to as well. I've had the safari for just under a week now, been out 3 times with it. Definitely not fully comfortable with it yet, and have dug lots of targets I probably would have ignored if detected with the F2 because I am still learning what the minelab is trying to tell me. Great machine though, I have been detecting every chance I get with it. Good luck with your minelab!

Thanks, im sure it will be a rewarding to learn the machine. Good luck with yours

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went from a POS ace 250 to a minelab safari also. Took me a few hunts to learn the tones. Now I feel I'm onto it pretty good, best choice I ever made in detecting. You wont regret going with a minelab.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
took the safari out for a quick hunt today before I had to leave for work. I'm definitely getting a better feel for it pretty quickly. I dug very little trash today, but some of the trash I did dig up was deep! I got a good signal from a small piece of tin can that was well over a foot down. Pulled 7 coins today though, 6 copper pennies and a dime. I already notice I am hitting more dimes than I did with the F2.

I bought another digging tool in anticipation of the minelab finding things deeper than the F2. Went with the 18" T-handle sampson from Lesche. It cuts a nice medium size plug with only 3 stabs in the dirt and makes digging down deeper a breeze. You can really lean on it to break up the ground, it's a tough shovel. It's a bit bulky and I don't plan on carrying it along with me, but it will be nice to have nearby if I need to recover something that is deep.

OP
OP
Gierbitz

Gierbitz

May 15, 2013
hamburg ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
took the safari out for a quick hunt today before I had to leave for work. I'm definitely getting a better feel for it pretty quickly. I dug very little trash today, but some of the trash I did dig up was deep! I got a good signal from a small piece of tin can that was well over a foot down. Pulled 7 coins today though, 6 copper pennies and a dime. I already notice I am hitting more dimes than I did with the F2.

I bought another digging tool in anticipation of the minelab finding things deeper than the F2. Went with the 18" T-handle sampson from Lesche. It cuts a nice medium size plug with only 3 stabs in the dirt and makes digging down deeper a breeze. You can really lean on it to break up the ground, it's a tough shovel. It's a bit bulky and I don't plan on carrying it along with me, but it will be nice to have nearby if I need to recover something that is deep.

I put a dd coil on my f2 last year and it helped a lot, but I do agree on the dimes. I was lucky to get 4 maybe 5 inches on a dime with an iffy signal. It also detected clad deeper than it would silver. That's the main reason I upgraded. I'm glad to hear your find stuff with the new machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread