Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SusanMN

Thread: Big clumps that read silver 91

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Jan 2013
    Delano, MN
    Ace 250, AT-Pro
    55
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Big clumps that read silver 91

    I am finding quite a few clumps of things that register as silver on my AT-Pro. They show up as #91. I have both clumps that look melted and bars with bolts in them. Do heavy clumps or chunks of aluminum show as silver? Or is there some other metal that does this? None of it is corroded. I am finding it all on the shoreline of my property. Thanks for any help!

  2. #2

    Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Vaquero
    2,400
    975 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    They do on every machine I have owned. Deep rusty iron also rings up as silver.
    The harder you work, the luckier you get.

  3. #3
    us
    Oct 2009
    4,484
    1897 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Metal detectors do NOT make metallic analysis of items. They don't know iron, from gold, from titanium, or anything else. They put an electric field into the ground and look for something to send back part of the field. Based on the signal return, it gives you an estimate of target and depth. Large, tiny, or corroded items give different signals returns than round, "coin sized" objects.
    Last edited by Jason in Enid; Jun 08, 2013 at 09:31 PM.

  4. #4

    Jan 2013
    Delano, MN
    Ace 250, AT-Pro
    55
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Jason, I know that. I was just wondering what other non-corroding metals show as silver. Obviously this is al as I figured.

  5. #5
    us
    Feb 2013
    Washington
    Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
    228
    46 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Lead is a tricky one too. I have dug a few large fishing weights that sounded sweet with my AT Pro.

  6. #6

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6,091
    1749 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by bbells View Post
    Jason, I know that. I was just wondering what other non-corroding metals show as silver. Obviously this is al as I figured.
    bbells, well if you "know that" (what jason is telling you), then why do you repeat the misconception of "... metals [that] show as silver"?

    As jason was telling you, detectors don't tell one metal apart from another. (despite what the TID printed categories and graphs may say as "silver", "gold", etc...) Instead, all the TID is telling you, is conductivity, NOT "composition". And size plays into that. Thus yes: An entire aluminum can (for example) might read as "quarter". But a small snippet of that SAME can might read as "nickel" or "tab", etc... But as you see, in each case, the "composition" remained the same ALUMINUM. Doh

    So what you have reading "91" can just be big cr*p (a big wad of molten aluminum or brass or something). The TID scale is based on relative size. So a "dime" reading, assumes a "dime-sized-target", and so forth.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

  7. #7

    Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Vaquero
    2,400
    975 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    bbells, well if you "know that" (what jason is telling you), then why do you repeat the misconception of "... metals [that] show as silver"?

    As jason was telling you, detectors don't tell one metal apart from another. (despite what the TID printed categories and graphs may say as "silver", "gold", etc...) Instead, all the TID is telling you, is conductivity, NOT "composition". And size plays into that. Thus yes: An entire aluminum can (for example) might read as "quarter". But a small snippet of that SAME can might read as "nickel" or "tab", etc... But as you see, in each case, the "composition" remained the same ALUMINUM. Doh

    So what you have reading "91" can just be big cr*p (a big wad of molten aluminum or brass or something). The TID scale is based on relative size. So a "dime" reading, assumes a "dime-sized-target", and so forth.

    Strikes me as a rude response to a simple question. Information is good, correcting someone who is trying to ask a question isn't.
    lookindown and JoeB_OH like this.
    The harder you work, the luckier you get.

  8. #8
    us
    Danged if I can think of one

    Feb 2013
    Hills of WV
    Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
    342
    96 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMN View Post
    They do on every machine I have owned. Deep rusty iron also rings up as silver.
    Yep, that is true with my machine too.

  9. #9

    Apr 2013
    26
    12 times
    I have an ace 350 and I notice that any jewelry will make my machine ring every sound super fast and is 2" to 4" that's how I know it's gold or silver shallow responses on high rings are either bottle caps or pull tabs or coins but if its high tone reading 6" or deeper its crap mostly nails or can food haha pure crap but I've only had my detector for less than a month before this one I had a fortune hunter by bounty hunter so kind got a bit of a grip anyways happy hunting

  10. #10
    us
    Jun 2013
    New York
    BOUNTY HUNTER DISCOVERY 2200 x2, TESORO COMPADRE, GARRETT ACE 250, GARRETT ACE 350
    7
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If it's a big wad you can generally tell if its aluminum or a precious metal. If you can't easily tell, pile pennies till its a pile about the volume of the wad, and see which is heavier. The pennies will be a LOT heavier if it's aluminum.

    You mostly end up with aluminum wads from bonfires and such, you find a lot near where teenagers or others partied at some point in the last 60-70 years or so. It gives you a good point to set a circle around though, as you know people gathered there.

    Also you need a really hot fire, and some extenuating circumstances to get silver or gold wads. If there was a house fire there that burned all night for example, you could find gold or silver wads.

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. [FOR SALE] Lovely 8 Reale Clumps
    By Patrimony in forum Treasure Related Stuff For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov 29, 2012, 05:57 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 25, 2012, 01:09 PM
  3. Maybe Another Silver...Help Read Markings Please!
    By Desertvet in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec 12, 2011, 07:11 PM
  4. Interesting Read on Silver Value
    By keverett in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 12, 2010, 08:36 AM
  5. Silver at $20 per oz by year's end? Read on!!!
    By Phillip_in_NM in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Feb 12, 2007, 12:04 PM

Search tags for this page

aluminum shows up as dime on metal detector

,

how can i tell if clump of metal is lead or silver

,

melted clumps of silver

,

silver clumps

,

tid jumps from silver to iron

,

will heavy aluminum read as silver in metal detecting

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3