Big clumps that read silver 91

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am finding quite a few clumps of things that register as silver on my AT-Pro. They show up as #91. I have both clumps that look melted and bars with bolts in them. Do heavy clumps or chunks of aluminum show as silver? Or is there some other metal that does this? None of it is corroded. I am finding it all on the shoreline of my property. Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do on every machine I have owned. Deep rusty iron also rings up as silver.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectors do NOT make metallic analysis of items. They don't know iron, from gold, from titanium, or anything else. They put an electric field into the ground and look for something to send back part of the field. Based on the signal return, it gives you an estimate of target and depth. Large, tiny, or corroded items give different signals returns than round, "coin sized" objects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, I know that. I was just wondering what other non-corroding metals show as silver. Obviously this is al as I figured.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead is a tricky one too. I have dug a few large fishing weights that sounded sweet with my AT Pro.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Jason, I know that. I was just wondering what other non-corroding metals show as silver. Obviously this is al as I figured.

bbells, well if you "know that" (what jason is telling you), then why do you repeat the misconception of "... metals [that] show as silver"?

As jason was telling you, detectors don't tell one metal apart from another. (despite what the TID printed categories and graphs may say as "silver", "gold", etc...) Instead, all the TID is telling you, is conductivity, NOT "composition". And size plays into that. Thus yes: An entire aluminum can (for example) might read as "quarter". But a small snippet of that SAME can might read as "nickel" or "tab", etc... But as you see, in each case, the "composition" remained the same ALUMINUM. Doh

So what you have reading "91" can just be big cr*p (a big wad of molten aluminum or brass or something). The TID scale is based on relative size. So a "dime" reading, assumes a "dime-sized-target", and so forth.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bbells, well if you "know that" (what jason is telling you), then why do you repeat the misconception of "... metals [that] show as silver"?

As jason was telling you, detectors don't tell one metal apart from another. (despite what the TID printed categories and graphs may say as "silver", "gold", etc...) Instead, all the TID is telling you, is conductivity, NOT "composition". And size plays into that. Thus yes: An entire aluminum can (for example) might read as "quarter". But a small snippet of that SAME can might read as "nickel" or "tab", etc... But as you see, in each case, the "composition" remained the same ALUMINUM. Doh

So what you have reading "91" can just be big cr*p (a big wad of molten aluminum or brass or something). The TID scale is based on relative size. So a "dime" reading, assumes a "dime-sized-target", and so forth.

Strikes me as a rude response to a simple question. Information is good, correcting someone who is trying to ask a question isn't.

druzay

Apr 20, 2013
I have an ace 350 and I notice that any jewelry will make my machine ring every sound super fast and is 2" to 4" that's how I know it's gold or silver shallow responses on high rings are either bottle caps or pull tabs or coins but if its high tone reading 6" or deeper its crap mostly nails or can food haha pure crap but I've only had my detector for less than a month before this one I had a fortune hunter by bounty hunter so kind got a bit of a grip anyways happy hunting

RustyAxeheads

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER DISCOVERY 2200 x2, TESORO COMPADRE, GARRETT ACE 250, GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a big wad you can generally tell if its aluminum or a precious metal. If you can't easily tell, pile pennies till its a pile about the volume of the wad, and see which is heavier. The pennies will be a LOT heavier if it's aluminum.

You mostly end up with aluminum wads from bonfires and such, you find a lot near where teenagers or others partied at some point in the last 60-70 years or so. It gives you a good point to set a circle around though, as you know people gathered there.

Also you need a really hot fire, and some extenuating circumstances to get silver or gold wads. If there was a house fire there that burned all night for example, you could find gold or silver wads.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread