Pro pointer vs. upgrading detector

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everybody!! Hoping someone will have some experience with this. I’ve been really wanting to get myself a Garrett pro pointer to aide in my metal detecting. The thing I’m going back and forth about is this… Do I go ahead and purchase the pro pointer knowing I will want it no matter what detector I have? Or, Do I save up and upgrade my metal detector as I only have a minimal set up, then get the pointer?
I can clearly see the advantage of the pro pointer after my recent start. And almost everyone I’ve researched so far uses it.
What did you do? Did you have a killer detector, and then note the pro pointer would be a great tool and buy it after? Or were you backwards like me? My md was $150. The pointer is $125. I really enjoy my ace 150 so far, but find myself “chasing” signals sometimes. The pro pointer would help with this problem I think. Any feedback would be great! Thanks, Kenny :)

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm in the minority opinion. I'd get the best detector I could afford first and then get the pin pointer later. All the pin pointer gets you is recovery speed. A good detector can get you quality and help you avoid junk in the first place. When I started, there were no pin pointers and I managed to find lots of goodies without it. When starting out or learning a new detector, I'd dig just about every target so you can get to know what your machine is telling you. Most people hunt too fast to begin with. Slow down in your hunting, learn to pin point with the main detector and then when you have a good 50 hours under your belt, start using a pin pointer to speed up just your recovery time, not your search time.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm in the minority opinion. I'd get the best detector I could afford first and then get the pin pointer later. All the pin pointer gets you is recovery speed. A good detector can get you quality and help you avoid junk in the first place. When I started, there were no pin pointers and I managed to find lots of goodies without it. When starting out or learning a new detector, I'd dig just about every target so you can get to know what your machine is telling you. Most people hunt too fast to begin with. Slow down in your hunting, learn to pin point with the main detector and then when you have a good 50 hours under your belt, start using a pin pointer to speed up just your recovery time, not your search time.

U are right but What there is a limit of funding at the moment ur not gonna get very far with $130 on a detector upgrade & he did say we was finding & liked his ace so y not just make those finds that r already happening more enjoyful or I could be totaly wrong idk

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed cristo

OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again for all the great advice everyone. I ordered my pointer last night and should have it by Thursday. Looking forward to speeding up my digs and finding deeper targets that I've givin up on previously.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Good luck and keep us updated! Take care!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simply put, You will always want a better detector but you will always need a pinpointer. Get the Pinpointer now or you will be going back to old spots later with your pinpointer that you didnt find the target

RustyAxeheads

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
BOUNTY HUNTER DISCOVERY 2200 x2, TESORO COMPADRE, GARRETT ACE 250, GARRETT ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with a Zircon MetalliScanner Stud Finder, because it was cheap (30 bucks), I was cheap (still am:)), and I'd read about it on this forum as a good substitute for a real pinpointer. It's actually somewhat useful; It get's @1-1.5" on ferrous, @ 1-2" on non ferrous on a full charge. It does really poorly on wet soil and oxidized sediment, you can't tilt it in use, and it's bulky, but it's neat looking and it was way better than poking around for 20 mins in a hole and coming up empty. I upgraded to a Pro-pointer eventually and it's definitely more sensitive and mobile, but I also grabbed another zircon when I added a third detector to my "family kit". It's like any other piece of kit, once you learn it, it's useful.

If you have to choose between a better detector and a pinpointer, I'd say get the detector, and try that. I had my 2 ordered online for pickup at home depot cus they never had em in stock but they had em on the website, and then you don't have to pay shipping.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simply put, You will always want a better detector but you will always need a pinpointer. Get the Pinpointer now or you will be going back to old spots later with your pinpointer that you didnt find the target
Why wouldn't you find the target? You should be able to do that with your main detector. :dontknow: The pin pointer just speeds up finding it's exact location, it didn't find it in the first place.... your main detector did.

OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My pro pointer arrived yesterday!! It's all shiny and new... can't wait to get some dirt around it. A quick bench test showed just how truly awesome this machine is. Heading to an old farm for a mini vaca this weekend. I'll let you know what I get. Thanks :)

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the pro. Use it to pinpoint before you dig, smaller holes and more digging time.,

OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been a week with the new pointer and I'm amazed at the results. Although there has certainly been some trash.. ok.. a lot of trash.. lol.. I've found probably 95% of every target I dug. As opposed to the 50 or 60% from before. Great purchase!

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! Told ya you'd love it! Hard to imagine life without it now, right? Good luck, happy hunting, and glad to hear you're enjoying it!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been a week with the new pointer and I'm amazed at the results. Although there has certainly been some trash.. ok.. a lot of trash.. lol.. I've found probably 95% of every target I dug. As opposed to the 50 or 60% from before. Great purchase!

Happy to hear that you are pleased with your new pinpointer. No disrespect intended, but 50-60% recovery rate seems VERY LOW. Just be careful that you don't come to rely on that tool at the expense of proper settings or technique with your detector. As I said in a previous post...the Pro Pointer IS a great tool. But it really only shines in one small aspect of your detecting. And as you have already discovered...it's equally great pinpointing both trash and treasure.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The three most important items after your detector - decent headphones, decent digger, Garrett Pro Pointer my two cents.
luvsdux

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, always re-check your hole before covering.
luvsdux

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy to hear that you are pleased with your new pinpointer. No disrespect intended, but 50-60% recovery rate seems VERY LOW. Just be careful that you don't come to rely on that tool at the expense of proper settings or technique with your detector. As I said in a previous post...the Pro Pointer IS a great tool. But it really only shines in one small aspect of your detecting. And as you have already discovered...it's equally great pinpointing both trash and treasure.

It was low. Very frustrating to cover so many holes back up. Mind you the newbie factor & the gear I'm using(Garrett ace 150). Getting better with every dig though. The pointer has just seemed to have doubled my results. Very happy with it but can still see the necessity of the original signal and follow accordingly. I'm getting good at adjusting my machine as per the target. Practice, Practice, Practice ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread