Pro pointer vs. upgrading detector

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everybody!! Hoping someone will have some experience with this. I’ve been really wanting to get myself a Garrett pro pointer to aide in my metal detecting. The thing I’m going back and forth about is this… Do I go ahead and purchase the pro pointer knowing I will want it no matter what detector I have? Or, Do I save up and upgrade my metal detector as I only have a minimal set up, then get the pointer?
I can clearly see the advantage of the pro pointer after my recent start. And almost everyone I’ve researched so far uses it.
What did you do? Did you have a killer detector, and then note the pro pointer would be a great tool and buy it after? Or were you backwards like me? My md was $150. The pointer is $125. I really enjoy my ace 150 so far, but find myself “chasing” signals sometimes. The pro pointer would help with this problem I think. Any feedback would be great! Thanks, Kenny :)

Upvote 0

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my pro-pointer this week and it completely change my metal detecting game. I'm finding all kinds of things that I would have given up on long before without it. I say get that and save for a better MD after.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree. I have been MD'ing for only 3 months, and I have found the pro-pointer to be invaluable. I can't imagine not having it in my bag of tricks

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all gonna depend on u how much u wanna & like the hobby I actually have a v2 pinpointer I was using with my whites prism 4 then I bought the Atpro & week later got the propointer & What a difference now with my recent upgrade im actually using a dx-1 sunray & the propointer on my whites v3i so obviosly i like the hobby u do get What u payfor remember that. U mayb able to upgrade both mayb try eBay or other online things they go used & cheap to just gotta look

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It deffinately is a tool you need in the bag! There's lots of pin pointers out there, see if you can hunt some others that use them and try them out.

Dasseldig

Oct 26, 2012
Dassel, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the pro pointer, and then start saving for an upgrade.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What detector are you swinging right now? Anything that happens to be Sunray compatible???

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pro pointer is top of the line as far as I'm concerned. It saves so much time, so if that is something you consider a must, I'd say go for it. I had a fisher pro pointer, and thought it was alright, but the Garrett blew it out if the water. If you can still get signals with your detector, get the pro pointer. Worth every penny, there's a reason you don't see many used ones for sale.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just my .02 worth- I believe I've got the best coin detector out there- the CTX 30-30. I can pinpoint pretty good w/ it (I'm used to digging every target w/ my 4500 prospecting). With that said- the object is to detect, dig the target as fast as possible and move on. The more good targets dug, the better your odds in a day. I use a pinpointer when coin and relic hunting. Haven't used the pinpointer for prospecting, but might try it next fall. Finding the good targets is more important than speed. I'd spend the money on the best detector you can afford and go from there. Good Luck!
Shep

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the propointer ASAP. You won't be sorry.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt, the more you spend, the more bells and whistles. Just remember, Even someone with a 3000 dollar detector can't find the great stuff without the time put in and practice to learn the machine. I actually love going faster. Before my pro pointer, it really stunk digging for a pop tab ring for 5 mins, or a tiny piece of shotgun shot for 10 minutes wondering if I was blind. I'd rather find the junk fast so I can spend more time looking for the good stuff, although as you learn the detector, you should be able to learn the junk from the good, but if you're digging every beep, I just couldn't do it without the pro pointer.

I guess it's just different between every person. Get what YOU truly think will help you the most.

Take this into consideration,

Will you want another detector after you buy a different one after a bit? I did, I went from a fisher f2 to an AT Pro.

There isn't much upgrade from a pro pointer, so you'll probably have it your whole time practicing your hobby.

Again, am I right? Maybe not, opinions are like a**ho**s, everyone has one. Take your time, and choose what seems right to you. Nobody can tell you what you need :)

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just go all out and get an F75 and the Sunray invader!!!!!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the object is to detect, dig the target as fast as possible and move on. The more good targets dug, the better your odds in a day. I use a pinpointer when coin and relic hunting. Haven't used the pinpointer for prospecting, but might try it next fall. Finding the good targets is more important than speed. I'd spend the money on the best detector you can afford and go from there. Good Luck!
Shep

I think these are wise words. Never used an ACE 150, and I'm not knocking it...just saying if you are already thinking about upgrading...go in that direction first. Dig everything for at least part of a few hunts. Practice,practice ,practice with the pinpointing. A few extra hours "costs" you nothing. The extra focus will probably even help you notice more of the subtleties of some of your signals. We all hope for those Wham-Bam kinda hits, but the truth is (especially relic hunting) your more likely to be dealing with hits that are somewhat less than textbook.

The Pro pointer is a great tool and can really help speed things up for you. I have one in addition to a SunRay probe, and would never even think of parting with it. But it only shines during one part of the whole detection process. If funds are limited...spend your money on a piece of gear that will increase your chances in multiple areas. When ya get that gold ring, THEN add a Pro Pointer, you won't be sorry you did.

OP
OP
K

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Thanks for all the great advise everybody! I'm going to get the pro pointer. I think with all the research and input it's the best idea for now. My detector is working great but this tool will get me finding things faster I'm sure. Looking forward to getting out there more and I'm definitely enjoying this hobby as I thought I would. Thanks again for all your help :)

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, you'll love it! Happy Hunting!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the propointer saves so much time and frustration I would definitely get it before upgrading detectors. Being able to actually find and recover targets that you have detected is the most rewarding part of this hobby to me. Heck, start saving the clad coins you dig up with the 150 and the propointer in a shoebox and when the box is full, THEN upgrade detectors.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya true it will cut down alot of time in the plug more time - more time on another hit faster u get the holes done Ă­tem found u can move right along less frustration trying to find What ur looking for itll pay off quickley & the rest of ur ull wonder y or how u did without

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would get the propointer first. Save everything you find with your machine and sell them later. I have paid off all of my machines with my finds in first year or less. I bought my first machine White's 5000-D in 1979 and paid for it the first day I took it out with my finds. I have had the DFX and MXT PRO (still have it and will not get rid of it) and paid for them in just a few short months. Got the TDI last fall and already have it paid for. So if your funds are short this is a great way to upgrade at a later date.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get the propointer first. Save everything you find with your machine and sell them later. I have paid off all of my machines with my finds in first year or less. I bought my first machine White's 5000-D in 1979 and paid for it the first day I took it out with my finds. I have had the DFX and MXT PRO (still have it and will not get rid of it) and paid for them in just a few short months. Got the TDI last fall and already have it paid for. So if your funds are short this is a great way to upgrade at a later date.

That is awesome u paid for all ur detectors fast with ur finds but it mayb taken the wrong way to u do have to know ur detector to make those good finds & be in a good researched spot to make those finds u may get lucky & find that gold chain or etc but most important learn ur detector & ull have a great time, its not gonna be evetytime u go out ur gonna come back with a couple hundred $ in finds but WHO knows the hunt goes on good luck

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree. I have been MD'ing for only 3 months, and I have found the pro-pointer to be invaluable. I can't imagine not having it in my bag of tricks

In addition, the speed of recovering items goes up 5x for small items. My Pro-pointer died one time out in the woods and it was a terrible hour of hunting. I now always carry a fresh 9volt whenever I go out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread