D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not sure about Minelab but have hunted with guys that have the Safairi and for the most part they find as much or more than i do without digging to many tash holes. If I were to guess what you need more than anything is experience. Once you learn your detector you will dig a lot less holes. Also some guys dig everything and they actually find more valuables than those that don't. Aside from finding more they get rid of trash as well. If you don't have a pro pointer you need one. You may be missing stuff if you don't have a pointer. Stay away from a Harbor Freight pointer because everyone on hhere says they are junk. A smaller coil will help narrow your target area and your targets will be more defined.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are having trouble with false signals in trashy areas try turning down your sensitivity. Auto sensitivity is sometimes too hot, I sometimes drop down to 11 or 12 if I am falsing in trashy areas even with the Safari set too "high trash". Yes, the smaller coil will be better able to define your targets, as it will be less likely to see many targets at once. Some folks even go down to the little 5" or 6" coils if they coin shoot heavily trashed areas. I got a Sunray 8" for mine and it is great. The Minelab 800 actually measures at 7&1/2" so it is a little smaller. Also you will want to get another lower shaft to go with your smaller coil as it is a pain to thread that cable up inside the shaft every time you want to change coils. Normsel is right about experience, I am still learning my Safari, and it takes time and practice to figure out what it is telling you. Remember also that there is no detector which will find gold rings if you disc out pull tabs, just a fact of life. I mostly hunt "coins/jewelry" and dig the pull tab sounds, so as not to miss the chance for gold. If it's just coins you are after you can crank up the discrimination and you will not hit so much trash.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya just put some more time in with ur detector maybe even make a test garden up with the average items u do find and then a couple good ones an run the coil over them with any free time u have more practice the better ur gonna be and ul know close to what is in the ground befor u dig it

OP
OP
T

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely need the experience with the detector, I am new to all of this. I just purchased a Pro find 25 from Minelab.It seems to work good in my trash and coin garden. It goes off about three inches from the target. I set up a little garden with all types of trash and coins. I hope they are not to close. The book said at least a foot apart, I dug them two foot apart. It seems like the detector doesn't have time to reset itself. I love going out and I don't mine digging the holes. Thank you all for the advice. I have a permit for the parks in NY. I know that they have been heavily hunted. I will at the least get some experience with the detector. I love this site, it has some really good information, thank you all again.

Jim

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try just at first mayb putting 1 target in the whole none around just so u can get to know ur display tones ,vdi etc then work ur way up to 2.to 3 then when u get more confortable drop to in or close to each other more practice u have better ur finds r gonna b good luck

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using a safari for less that a month hunting with it every chance I get. About to go out here in a bit to an old farm yard. It can be impossible to pinpoint a target you found while using discrimination in a trashy area once you go to pinpoint with the machine using the stock coil. All of the properties I hunt are old home sites, littered with aluminum and rusty iron. I just ordered a 6" DD "excellerator" coil for it after reading some reviews of it on various forums. They are on the cheaper end of the spectrum of coils available, ran me 127 bucks shipped.

I have had great luck with the little sniper coil on my fisher F2 in trashy areas, pulling coins no problem. I expect to have the same or better results with the small coil on the safari. That big 11 inch DD coil that comes with it works great in relatively clean open areas, but is very frustrating in heavy trash.

OP
OP
T

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried using my new pro 25 today. I found 2 old screws that I wouldn't have seen if I didn't have it with me. I think them empty holes I was finding will have something in them now. Even if it is trash, it won't drive me nuts and I will get to know my machine.

Jimmy

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried using my new pro 25 today. I found 2 old screws that I wouldn't have seen if I didn't have it with me. I think them empty holes I was finding will have something in them now. Even if it is trash, it won't drive me nuts and I will get to know my machine.

Jimmy

I definetly think.id like to grab one of those i mean hey whats 1 more in the arsenal right got the automax v2, garrett pro pointer,& the dx-1 sunray probé & a Sunray S-1 probé I got no minelabe for lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread