I need some important advice...

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, im planning a beach trip within the next couple of weeks and it will be the first time taking a detector. I need to know if it will be ok for me to take my explorer se pro which is not waterproof. Of course I won't be going to submerge the detector unless it's just the coil which IS waterproof. If it's just a few days is the moisture in general going to do anything to it?

Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say it should be fine as long as you wipe it down to remove salt residue.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll be fine.

OP
OP
mreese1849

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be fine.

I thought so. I was just worried because I had read what some people had said about the moisture in the air affecting the detector. I just wanted some opinions that would say its fine. Guess im just worrying to much lol Can't wait to hopefully post some good finds!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Explorer works great at the beach.....both dry and wet sand. I'd get a protective cover set for it first and then go for the gold! The cover is cheap insurance against sand scratches on the screen and helps keep the moisture and salt spray from getting inside. I strongly recommend a tether of some sort also if you plan on getting into any amount of water at all. If you hunt in the surf long enough, you WILL drop the machine eventually. I use the Detecting Buddy and I adjust mine so I can let go of it and the detector only drops a few inches. With it, you also get the bonus of removing a lot of weight off your swinging arm.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cover is also important to keep the salt spray that is in the air off the detector..

I also use a harness, been using one for 5 years makes hunting a lot more comfortable plus I can let go of detector in surf and it hangs right by my side, controls up if I need both hands on scoop with out fiddling with detector.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a word of warning! If salt water gets between the upper and lower shaft and you retract it and it drys that way, you might never be able to extend it again. When the salt crystallizes, it 'connects' the two shafts. And yes this can happen to carbonfiber, fiberglass and metal shafts. Don't ask me how I know. Frank...

111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a baggie over the control box but don't close it up so condensation doesn't affect the operation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread