JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all!

This is a request for a sensitivity test on the particular brand of pinpointer you may have.

Test conditions
Sensitivity distance to a Quarter face-up and on edge.
Sensitivity distance to a Dime face-up and on edge.
Sensitivity distance to a Penny face-up and on edge.
Can it detect a 1.5" piece of 22 gauge copper wire?
Whats the smallest piece of 22 gauge copper wire it can detect?
Any known metals or objects that it cannot detect?

I have to admit that I'm fairly frustrated with the choice of pinpointers out there. They don't seem to have enough depth and from what I can see, none of them have any way of indicating when you are getting closer to the object. I've found my current pinpointer (Teknetics) quite frustrating because you have to be right on top of the object to detect it. Everyone says to buy the Vibraprobe but I also see reviews that say that the depth is very short for that unit. I know I should just go buy a SunRay In-line probe, but it kills me to pay almost as much for a probe as my Ace250 cost me.

Thanks!
JT

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pinpointer is not suppose to repalce the whole detector. You stick it in a hole to see if the target is on the side or in the dirt next to the hole. One or so inches is plenty. If you want a view screen with that, you will have to wait a few years.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sandman said:
The pinpointer is not suppose to repalce the whole detector. You stick it in a hole to see if the target is on the side or in the dirt next to the hole. One or so inches is plenty. If you want a view screen with that, you will have to wait a few years.
Yeah I have to agree.

OP
OP
J

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman,

One or more inches would be fine. Having to be right on top of the object isn't fine, IMHO.

As far as having some sort of indication of when you are getting closer to the object, I'm thinking that it would be nice to have a stronger vibrate or higher pitch tone as you come in contact with the object.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
1/2 to 1 inch is plenty. All you are doing it trying to find the object you detected.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Okay JT2. I brought my Bullseye II pinpointer into work today and ran some tests on it for you. Here are the results:

distance to quarter/penny/nickel face on - 3/4" (nickel came in actually closer to 1" go figure)
distance to quarter/penny/nickel on edge - 3/8 to 1/2"
distance to dime face on - 5/8"
distance to dime on edge 3/8 - 1/2"
distance to half dollar sized object (did not have a half dollar available) - 1"

I did not have .22 gauge wire so I tried to improvise.
it would not detect the little pin for a wristwatch band. It also would not detect Radio Shack magnet wire (not sure of gauge, really thin though)

Other misc. items that it did detect and their distances:
distance to a 4inch diameter disk (old backplate for an old alarm clock) - 1 3/4"
distance to a paperclip - 1/2"
distance to a wood screw (3/4" length) - 1/2" if facing the head, 3/8" sideways
distance to a key - 1/2 - 3/4"
distance to a small buckle (measure 1 5/8" X 1 1/4") - 1 1/4"
distance to a .22 bullet casing - 3/8 - 1/2"
distance to a shotgun shell - facing firing pin 7/8", sideways 1/2"
distnace to old harmonica reed (lots of people are finding these at old sites) 1" facing it and 1/4" turned sideways(on edge)

Well JT2, I hope this helps you determine if the Bullseye II is a consideration for your pinpointer purchase. Now I was using this pinpointer with the battery that was supplied with it. I doubt it but you never know that maybe a newer brand name 9volt battery would have made a difference but slight if that.

If you need any further tests just let me know but this should show you what the bullseye will detect. If others feel that they would like to contribute with other brand pinpointers it would be interesting to see the comparisons.

HH

Funkman

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pinpointers go about an inch or so on a coin. There are 2 that go deeper, (claims to 6"). One is the Sunray in-line probe, the other is the Detector Pro Pocket Uniprobe. They both appear to go deeper. One thing you did not mention is, some pinpointers will detect smaller gold (pickers, jewelry) better than others. If you find these often then one of these probes may be a good choice.

Ed D.

OP
OP
J

JT2

Aug 9, 2006
Concord MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for testing the Bullseye II Funkman!!

I would be nice to have a database of test results for various pinpointers out on the net so that people can compare pinpointers before purchase. I've looked and all I found was a comparison between the Treasuremate and the Vibraprobe at the Treasuremate site.

So what I'm hoping is that we can use this forum to establish that database. I have the Teknetics pinpointer but it is kinda broken right now, otherwise I'd post test results here.

Thanks again!
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread