Tesoro SuperTraq + Ground Magnetization

Zig-Zag

Greenie
Jun 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to prospecting but Ive learned a lot on these here intertubes. I'm near Oatman, AZ and it seems most gold here is small and there's lots of volcanics. I don't feel like crushing rock so I figure my best bet is to dry-wash bedrock near the mines. I've heard that the 'follow the pay streak' or the 'follow the black sands' feature on the Whites GMT is a good way to track material for a dry washer. But I'd rather have a SuperTraq to help deal with the crazy ground. Is there a way to emulate this feature on the SuperTraq? Or do you need a meter for it? GMT's 'follow the paystreak' feature "Displays the amount of magnetic minerals in the ground." Isn't that the same as zero discrimination?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just detect in All Metal, Normal mode with the Lobo Super Traq. You can call Rusty or Vince in Prescott at the factory if you need more info 928-771-2646. "Following a paystreak" is not generally done with a metal detector. It is done by sampling with a gold pan. Black sand does not always mean gold in the Black mountains. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Z

Zig-Zag

Greenie
Jun 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Terry. I decided to just get a Minelab, cause if I don't find gold, I can always resell it. Then I read that Garrett is supposed to release a new PI. Guess I'll have to poke around with my Falcon for awhile. Do you know of any particular types of areas that are good to shoot in the Black Mountains?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.. :thumbsup:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Zig-Zag, welcome to Tnet! There might be some GPAA or other claims in the area that you could "join up" to work on and if not then check out the internet for info on the area or you could go the BLM office and look up where Terry's Claims are at and work just outside of them, :hello:. Old mine info gives you some specific areas to look around just make sure you are not on some claimed ground as that can get touchy. It also sounds to me like it might be helpful if you could find a club in your area and attend some of their meetings, talk with the folks and learn what type of problem ground exists out there (if you do not already know) and in general learn what detectors they use and Like out there. Then when any new machine comes out read up on the reviews and make up your mind on which machine to go with. Best of luck on this as it can be confusing and that is why asking owners/club members about an area and machines can help so much in identifying a detector best for a given area. GMT's will not work well in heavily iron mineralised ground, a fellow took a GMT to some part of Alaska where the mountain had an iron cap and the VLF unit was useless. I use mine here in NorCal and it works just fine over the soil here but the same soil drove my coin machine, Whites 6000 D nuts and me as well.

Best of luck with your search for a machine and ground to work..........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Z

Zig-Zag

Greenie
Jun 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 63, I will join the local prospecting club this fall. I've searched minedat but there aren't many active claims listed. Terry, could you tell me if I would have better luck in hard-to-reach washes with quartz and black sand or should I stick near the old mines? Some areas are nothing but black sand, I'll need a PI if I want to hit those, right?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions