Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Chinese coin.. I found one very similar and needed an answer so I emailed an expert on the subject and it was narrowed down to between 1736-1796 and worth basically nothing... I'm guessing that yours is in the same boat

Although the coins are very old, they were used until around the 1890's.. They were then used as adornments for sewing baskets which were bought by tourists, brought back to the states. Some became destroyed and the coins eventually ended up in the ground..

Here's an example:

basket.jpg

Cool find :icon_thumright:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cache coin. That type (with 4 characters on each side) is the newer type. They can be as late as the 1910s. They are next to worthless, but fun to find. They show up seemingly everywhere in the USA, but particularly where Chinese immigration was (RR workers, mine-workers, china-town districts, etc...) We find a lot of those in CA.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
few more notes:

They aren't a certain year (even when you can get them translated). Instead, they go by "dynasties" which can cover many decades.

And even if yours is a particularly older date, it too means next to nothing, as to provenance or dating your site. Those coins can be hundreds of years older than the site they were lost in . They apparently circulated for 100's of years, so some arriving here in the mid to late 1800s, might have dated to the 1700 or 1600's, for instance. I think it was because they were stored in barrells over in China, with no regard for dates, and brought out whenever needed.

There's a humorous story of an archie on a pacific northwest indian mound dig, somewhere in OR or WA, who un-earthed one. It dated to the 1600s I think. So the archie got "all excited" thinking that this somehow showed that the chinese beat the russians or spanish up there, blah blah blah. But the truth is, those durned coins show up, oft-times hundreds of years later, at sites which simply had something from the later 1800's going on.

OP
OP
ducketz

ducketz

Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for the quick responses .was a little random to find , but still a cool coin. thanks again Happy digging :)

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a match? It's quite hard matching them sometimes because the slightest difference in the design/lines changes everything.

Here's the side by side

side-by-side.jpg

OP
OP
ducketz

ducketz

Jul 28, 2012
Thanks Wit , yes it seems to be a match , fourth series of that coin . I'm going to head back to the same area today and see if there is anymore . The area is very old (closed school)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread