Started tumbling my finds in a rock tumbler...

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never did this before.

I'd like to start off saying that I know it completely destroys any value that my finds might have, but I don't plan to sell them anyway, and I feel it makes everything really pretty to look at.

That said, I'll describe it a bit. I got the dual tumbler from harbor freight. I turned a bunch of pennies (including ugly as hell wheats I dug up) for 2 hours (with pea gravel, water, and a drop of dish soap). They turned out MUCH cleaner than they were, and all of them are now very easily readable and the details pop out. Well worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't do this with anything valuable but it's great for stuff that isn't that I plan to keep.

I also cleaned some of the metal things I dug up that aren't coins, all of which came out spotless. Even a rusty old keychain full of keys is shiny looking after 2 hours. I tumbled my "silver" change along with the actual silver quarter that I dug up and they look great, especially the 1943 quarter, it looks shiny and new!

There was a dirty and rusty looking skeleton ring I dug up and after 1.5 hours in the tumbler it looks wearable.

Last night I decided to put it to the test, so I took the absolute worst pennies that I found in 6 $25 boxes of rolls and ran it from 9:30 last night to 5 am this morning. 2.jpg 1.jpg

As you can see they all came out looking great compared to what they were. The ones that look silver are clad pennies that were corroded so badly that all the copper was gone. The clad pennies that weren't badly corroded came out looking fine.

I'm thrilled with it!

Upvote 0

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty indeed! It does give me an idea. Sometimes I have merchants that will not accept my prospecting coinage because it "looks" damaged. This idea should clear that problem right up!

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my silver quarter when I dug it up and rinsed it off vs when I tumbled it for 1.5 hours. There isn't any damage to the surface (maybe very slight under my microscope). Cleaned everything right up! FYI it was that worn when I pulled it out of the ground.

3.jpg 1.jpg

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using vinegar and salt in a container, shaking it for a couple minutes by hand than rinse with fresh water, than I use a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid by giving them another shake, this prevents them from turning green. At the end of the season I turn them into the bank for paper.

I pick out the wheats and save them without cleaning...I use the same technique for cleaning clad. I clean copper separately and never mix them with clad...I usually clean when I get about $10.00 worth.

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look great!
I've been thinking about getting that harbor freight tumbler myself,
just haven't made the leap yet because as everyone is well aware, HF is either hit or miss with their tools.

Is the tumbler decent quality? Do you see it being able to run a long time without burning out the motor?
I have a ton of questions about it... Maybe you can do a mini review for us?

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had mine four 3 years I have put several hundred dollars worth of coins through it plus all the brass and copper I just like to shine it up . They also sell a cleaning matrix that is ceramic and looks like little green pyramids that you can use over and over .

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using vinegar and salt in a container, shaking it for a couple minutes by hand than rinse with fresh water, than I use a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid by giving them another shake, this prevents them from turning green. At the end of the season I turn them into the bank for paper.

I pick out the wheats and save them without cleaning...I use the same technique for cleaning clad. I clean copper separately and never mix them with clad...I usually clean when I get about $10.00 worth.

It's too early to do a review but I will say the quality is a lot better than I expected, and everything seems smooth. The containers are really good and seal perfectly.

Also check out my wheats! I decided to do all the rest of my saved up extra wheats and couldn't be more thrilled with the way they turned out. 3.5 hours or so.

1.jpg

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that the Harbor Freight tumblers are a bit noisy in comparison to others and that they also start smelling (rubber from the drums) after a few minutes of running. Maybe you've never used another brand so the first question may be hard to answer but what about the smell? Any truth to that?

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I started using 1/3 apple cider vinegar, 2/3 water in my rock timbler. Really makes the coins look good. Just don't clean pennies with other coins. They will come out copper looking.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that the Harbor Freight tumblers are a bit noisy in comparison to others and that they also start smelling (rubber from the drums) after a few minutes of running. Maybe you've never used another brand so the first question may be hard to answer but what about the smell? Any truth to that?

I did notice a smell for the first 2 hours or so, but don't smell anything today honestly. Doesn't seem too loud though, the rubber cans really help with that. I have it running in my kitchen and can't hear it running a room over.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big difference in your before and after pics!

Have you tried different mediums, like sand, or walnut shell?

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 3 pound tumbler from harbor freight, I bought a cheap bag of aquarium gravel and use a few drops of dawn soap. Tumble clad for 10 hours and they clean up nicely. I wouldn't do it to my precious (silver). Add water of course with the dish soap.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of my crusty clad I mix in with other change and roll it up and deposit it, the bank hasn't complained yet. But I may try tumbling some just for the fun of it.

I do have a bunch of crusty wheats that aren't worth anything, so I think I'll try cleaning them up. The after photo looks pretty good.

HH,

Pete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did my crusty pennies over night using a little pea gravel and dish soap. They look great, so I think it will do it on most of my dirty wheat pennies.

I am doing some discolored clad dimes/nickel/quarters now and want to see how that comes out, I have a pretty orange looking buffalo nickel I want to clean up.

Here are the penny pics before and after
penny_before.JPG penny_after.JPG

HH,

Pete

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aquarium gravel, water and a bit of dish detergent works well for me. DO NOT MIX CLAD WITH THE PENNIES! You'll end up with copper colored nickels, dimes and quarters. As others mention, I don't tumble rare or possibly valuable coins, but my every day clad is just fine for spending.
luvsdux

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ended up tumbling my common wheats, then a buffalo nicklel and crusty mercury dime and they came out good. I also tumbled a few silver rings I had in sand and was pretty happy with the results.
wheats_after.JPG
buff_before.JPG buff_before2.JPG
buff_after.JPG buff_after2.JPG

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rub your silvers with baking soda and water. They will shine like the day they were made.

OP
OP
mr helton

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the best pics I could get of my tumbled wheats even with my DSLR. It's too hard to focus on something that big and that close!

1.jpg 2.jpg

edit: I made a much better version I think Untitled_Panorama1.jpg

Last edited:

Sledgod2

May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just bought the 3lb version and tried it yesterday for the first time. After 10 minutes the main bearing started to squeak louder and louder so I put a few drops of lube on it and it has been quiet as a church mouse ever since. I'm still testing things out to see what the best ratio of aquarium gravel to water to coins is the best. I've only ran it about 2-3 hours per batch so far but I think I might try and run the clad overnight tonight to see if I can get it any better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread