frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have a Fisher F2 with the 11" DD coil. Sometimes I might get a single ding or slightly faint signal that I can't really pin point a good location of the object or I might get an intermittent signal in an area...like its there one second, and gone the next.

Should I try and dig the general location of that single or faint signal even though I am not getting a strong read on it? Could it be a deeper target that the machine is having a difficult time picking up?

So far, I have been dismissing them as ghost signals and not worth digging...so I now turn to the professionals of T-Net to help answer this....

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Upvote 0

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't get a good repeatable signal, don't dig it. It's most likely interference or a false signal, it happens. The F2 is a great MD but in mineralized soil you'll get a little more falses than you would with a MD that has ground balancing.

As for the pinpoint, practice makes perfect, I have an F5 DD, and it took me a while to learn to pinpoint with it. Truth: I'm still learning! But I got an F2 for the wife and I have spent some time swinging it, with the 8" coil. It pinpoints really well. Hang in there and if you're getting a lot of ghost or false signals in a particular area turn down the gain/sens, or try scriming out iron?!?!

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RotZorn! I have been getting much better at pinpointing with the DD coil...I do the narrow down the signal then turn 90 degrees and do the same...where the two points cross is where I dig...then I let my Minelab Pro Find help with the rest!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NP man! I'm sure some of the other guys who've been at this way longer than me will chime in with more (and possibly better lol) advice soon.

I've only been diggin' like 3-4 months, but I'm a bit of a techie and work on sensitive equipment for a living so I feel that MIGHT have helped me out some in this hobby.

This is just what I've learned from my experience from the F2 and DD coils so far. I could be wrong? I haven't actually used the F2 with a DD, just the standard coil. My DD experience has only been with My F5, and a friends ATP.

Some one will chime in and tell us both if I'm an idiot or not!!! It's the first advice I've given to anyone on anything technical on Tnet. So don't write me off yet! Maybe we'll both learn something?

Last edited:

grounded

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2013
australia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frogginfish rotzorn has given great advice here , I also use the f2 the only thing I could add is if in doubt dig, possibly its a deep target.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher F2 owner here. I've only been metal detecting 3 weeks now but from what I've seen, when this happens, I can usually turn the discrimination all the way off and it will show that it's all iron. If I turn it back up it ignores the iron signal but occasionally gives me a high chirp.

The ones I've dug up like this anyway have been deep rusty iron.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F2 owner here. I've only been metal detecting 3 weeks now but from what I've seen, when this happens, I can usually turn the discrimination all the way off and it will show that it's all iron. If I turn it back up it ignores the iron signal but occasionally gives me a high chirp.

The ones I've dug up like this anyway have been deep rusty iron.

Yep, what he said. Ya gotta take into account that its calibrated for coin sized objects.

We've all had a high tone, that TID read a Q on at X inches- only to dig down to that amount of inches and nothing is there right? So you decide to sweep the hole again. Same signal but still at X inches which you've already dug past?!?!

You decide to dig deeper and find a can, a brake pad, a battery terminal, or whatever. I actually learned to raise the coil from this site when ever I encounter that situation. Spend some time sweeping and listening to things before you dig them, different heights, directions, and angles. It's helped me to dig a lot less trash. Also helped me to find a small 14k ring a couple weeks ago at the park. Probably a child's ring or maybe an ladies toe ring?!?! Was a consistent bounce between tab and nickel. I normally would not have dug it. I chose to because of the consistency of the sweep, but inconsistency in the ID. Sometimes you just get lucky.

OP
OP
frogginfish

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx for all helpful advice everyone! I know its a learning process and with practice....good practice, I'll improve over time.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If it repeats twice or more and I can find the general area of it I dig, Doing that has gotten me 7.5 inch wheat pennys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread