Had to put my 1999 Minelab Ex to sleep....

Upstate Rich

May 24, 2013
Upstate
Detector(s) used
Minelab products,Ex2,Ex Se pro,Coil-Tek coils,Sunray Coils,white's Eagle Spectrum,Bounty Hunter,Bucket and shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all,im in a bind here..
I have had my Explorer for 10 yrs ,but she broke ,....i saved all my coils ....

Any Idea's on what i should use,im use to the Explorer and paid for itself 4 times over,im stuck on what i should use next,...i dont need a detector ro hook up to a computer and that,but one that is proven in the relic department,and has a depth gauge on it,.....deeper the better,....it took me 2 yrs to get the swing in on the Explorer,and after that it was a money machine!......
Im in Upstate NY,so our soil is Acidic and minerilized,...and wondering what is as good as the unit,also the curve learnin the unit....
What about a Garret?,
Whites/grass cutter or Minelab?...

I am not lookin for a toy...lol....

Upvote 0

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,im in a bind here..
I have had my Explorer for 10 yrs ,but she broke ,....i saved all my coils ....

Any Idea's on what i should use,im use to the Explorer and paid for itself 4 times over,im stuck on what i should use next,...i dont need a detector ro hook up to a computer and that,but one that is proven in the relic department,and has a depth gauge on it,.....deeper the better,....it took me 2 yrs to get the swing in on the Explorer,and after that it was a money machine!......
Im in Upstate NY,so our soil is Acidic and minerilized,...and wondering what is as good as the unit,also the curve learnin the unit....
What about a Garret?,
Whites/grass cutter or Minelab?...

I am not lookin for a toy...lol....
Ok well I know its a different beast, but have you thought about an Xterra 705? It's faster than the Explorer and works real well in heavy iron infested areas. You do have 3 frequencies (I know, it's not FBS) to choose from depending on coil choice, and it's a pretty deep machine, some call it a poor man's Etrac. Good luck and let us know what you decide on! HH, Scott

OP
OP
Upstate Rich

Upstate Rich

May 24, 2013
Upstate
Detector(s) used
Minelab products,Ex2,Ex Se pro,Coil-Tek coils,Sunray Coils,white's Eagle Spectrum,Bounty Hunter,Bucket and shovel
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok well I know its a different beast, but have you thought about an Xterra 705? It's faster than the Explorer and works real well in heavy iron infested areas. You do have 3 frequencies (I know, it's not FBS) to choose from depending on coil choice, and it's a pretty deep machine, some call it a poor man's Etrac. Good luck and let us know what you decide on! HH, Scott

maybe ill get a new Ex

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe ill get a new Ex
That is quite a testimonial! You learned your 14 year old Minelab so well, and are happy enough with it to not even care to try a different detector! FYI the Xterra series are super easy to learn, the learning curve isn't very steep at all compare to what I read about the Explorer. Nice to hear though, how the ML made you such a loyal customer. If my Xterra were to break, I would probably buy another as well.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i do mainly relic hunting myself i started doing it with the atpro its light easy to use and the iron audio seemed very good out in the woods, well i decided i needed more and went with the whites v3i such an amazing machine everything can be changed to ur needs almost feels like u can make it any machine u want does have a decent learning curve to start messing with the settings but out of the box its quite nice and has many programs that will keep u busy for a while. quick question now u did like ur old detector do any of the other minelabs use the coils u have saved if so might just be 1 less thing to buy well good luck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get another Explorer or an E-trac. All your extra coils should plug right in.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get another Explorer or an E-trac. All your extra coils should plug right in.

Thats What I was thinking all those coils just sitting there would only make sense I think to get sonething they would fit cuz we all know no matter What detector we happen to get we almost allways buy different coils for it & ud b a head if the game by alot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread