knee surgery today! Any suggestions

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately most people do not realize how brutal metal detecting can be to every joint on your body. The MD companies claim it is healthy, but I don't believe it. If you save every coin you ever found there is a good chance it won't be enough to pay for even one joint surgery.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont matter What digger Man.ur still gonna have to get on the ground weather to pinooint, finish the plug, it takes a till on me i got a plate with 17 screws in my right femer 3 pins in my hip, latest injury 3 more pins on my left hip & broke my pelvis I do beleive in 9 lives & ive used 5

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
just now getting over knee and acl surgery I mainly hunt relics and use a long handled shovel.good luck to you hope it heels quicker than mine did.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an ace250 shouldnt find so much and have to dig as much

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research while your laid up. When you get healthy enough to walk, get a kid to help your do the recoveries. Teach him how to make a clean 3 sided plug so you can't tell you were even there.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scotty, hope you are doing well after your surgery. I think the waiting for it is almost the worst part, although day after ain't no picnic. Once you are ready to get back out detecting, try a long handled trowel. I use an 18 inch long one, the digger part is only 6 inches log, and 4 inches wide, so it definitely doesn't look like a shovel and it's really light.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knees can be rebuilt to work as good as new

Looks like I will be sidelined for a while. Any suggestions on things to help get me back in the game? What's a good small shovel? Probably won't be able to use my Gator digging tool for a while.

Hi There Scotty, to get back into 'the game' you need to do your physical therapy like it was the best thing you've ever found and that you enjoy it every time you even think about it. Also use the ice water recirculating device to help keep the swelling under control. If you have a motorized joint flexer, wear it 24/7 and keep it going all the time. Do all that you can to keep the joint and muscles from atrophy. Rest, sleep, exercise, eliminate and repeat. Do all your exercises and you will be able to use your existing shovel just fine. Not doing the exercises to get the entire leg back into shape is like throwing your life out of a window when you are on the 55th floor.

I had my knee done in ~ 1978 and it just now is acting like it needs some additional work. In 78 I had the ACL replaced with my own tissue. One year after the surgery I was back out back packing into remote country here in Calif and I've been doing it ever since so I know that exercise is the key to a solid recovery from knee surgery. Note: Recovery here means being able to do everything one used to do including carrying in an 85 pound back pack load many times a summer for many years. Also, I wear a very substantial/sturdy metal and plastic brace whenever I hike just to protect the knee. If anyone pokes fun at you for wearing the brace, pay no attention to them as you are protecting your knee for all the right reasons.

All my best wishes for a good recovery and many more years of having fun!!............................63bkpkr Camera Dump 8 26 03 176.jpg 0008.JPG 176_7663.JPG

Note the brace on the left knee in the two pictures of me and consider the size of the back pack in the left picture. The center picture is the country I go Down Into and of course hike Up Out Of. The mountain on the left is a touch over 8,000' tall. Never Give Up!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the great information Back Packer! You are an inspiration.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hang in there Scotty, as mentioned earlier it is a good time to do some research on sites. I got a plate and 5 screws in my ankle 4 years ago and have literally biked several thousand miles since then. 100% agree with 63bkpr exercise is the key. Although lately I find metal detecting has taken away from my biking time.

Get well soon.

Pete

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck with the knee, I had my right knee totally replaced in december of 2009, I agree the constant motion machine is key to recovery, use it as long as they allow it! the more YOU put into your therapy the faster you will be back in the game!! flex and bend that joint as much as you can, and when you dont think you can do more, then do more, during therapy one day there was a man I spoke with that was doing therpy too, his knee would only bend around 80 degrees, his surgery was several months before mine, I asked the therapist what could be done for him now?? they said another knee surgery and hopefully he would take therapy seriously this time! good luck!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Scotty hoping you heal up quickly.When you are able to resume metal detecting it might be a good option to buy a lightweight garden bench. You can turn them so you can either sit on them (you can dig this way ) or kneel when you get 100% better.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Scotty, If you can't walk for a while & NEED to get your detecting fix, perhaps a manual wheelchair can help. Be sure to ask your Doctor or P.T. person if this is a good fit for you.

I’ve been Swingin’ and Pingin’ with my Ace 250 from the comfort of my manual wheelchair since June 2012. It’s been a lot of fun!
I roll backwards to get better coil-on-the-grass time. Extend the poll to it’s max, so it is as far away from the metal footrests as possible. I don’t cover as much acreage as I did in my previous life, but that makes each find that much sweeter.

Anyway, as a few of our other members will also tell you, it it can be done from a wheelchair.
Good Luck!

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great ideas. You guys sure are helpful. Thanks for all of the tips

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had my surgery on the 17th of June, I took my first md outing yesterday evening July 2nd, only stayed out a couple of hours. Still sore but I was actually able to go to sleep without any pain meds for the first time since the surgery. I think more than anything I was just relived that I did get out and go. I had a little trouble getting up, but the way I see it, its just like physical therapy. I hope that this knee holds up, I got a custom brace ordered that should be ready soon. This was the third surgery on the same knee. Man turning 40 is crap! :censored:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad ur back up out doin what u like being out & doin something actually not being able to do what u want sux 2, years ago at work ( im a mechanic/ tow truck driver) car fell on me from someone elses careless Ness broke hip & pelvis out in Wheel chair year still recouping

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...Scotty...pick some easy digging spots such as the beach....for the beach use a long handled scoop....mine is stainless steel.....for yards and such get a long handled spade or shovel but it needs to have a cut down blade on it....I had a complete knee joint replacement in 2010 and cannot not bend my knees without a lot of pain.....GL...jt

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scotty544: A speedy recovery to you. Listen to your Doc and physical therapist. Just got a store bought knee 3/28. Not as quick as before but, I am going to the gym and getting better daily. Not so easy to get my favorite digs and no surf yet this year. Still getting out there though, but spending a bit of time in the library too. Best of Luck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my surgery on the 17th of June, I took my first md outing yesterday evening July 2nd, only stayed out a couple of hours. Still sore but I was actually able to go to sleep without any pain meds for the first time since the surgery. I think more than anything I was just relived that I did get out and go. I had a little trouble getting up, but the way I see it, its just like physical therapy. I hope that this knee holds up, I got a custom brace ordered that should be ready soon. This was the third surgery on the same knee. Man turning 40 is crap! :censored:
How does the saying go......it's not the age but the mileage? Regardless, I'd love to have my 40 year old knees again! And my 40 year old endurance, and hair, and eyesight, and libido, etc, etc.....:laughing7:

twoauers

Jul 7, 2013
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had mine done 1 year ago. Knee replacement. Best advise- to everything the Physical Therapyist tells you to, no short cuts! First week is tough, after that it gets better and better. The more you move the better it is. Do "not" go to fast on your own, they will tell you. Best wishes, you will be back to digging soon enought, give yourself time. Again, best wishes. Twoauers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread