Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How'd you get started?

I was just interested in finding out how everyone got started in MDing. Myself, I've loved history and archaeology since I was 4. I read books about treasure in my library in grade school and was told by many people that you'll never find things like that. I read a book about oceanography in 7th grade that had a section about shipwrecks and reales and the like. I was hooked and read a lot about SCUBA and shipwrecks but then forgot for 2 years. Prior to that I wanted to bring my grandpa's ancient 'Minolta' detector to the beach. Earlier this year I was in a bookstore thgat had a book that said, just, 'Treasure'. I picked it up and turned back the cover...on the first page I saw there was an underwater picture of gold coins in Hierakanopolis, Egypt. I had a romantic epiphany of days gone by when all I wanted to do was SCUBA dive. I bought some books and magazines and then asked for a detector for Christmas last year. So that's my story.

Upvote 0
T

treasurejack

Re: How'd you get started?

Hey Pather, then you're really going to like this little item and the history behind it.
http://www.adventurequestusa.com (may have to paste it into your browser) Just click on the "1761 ecclesiastical piece" link once you're inside the site.

I pretty much got started metal detecting for the same reasons. Everytime I find something really old the first thing I say to myself is, "I wonder what this item's true history is?" But I also enjoy the mystery and adventure to it all, gets me out of the house and allows me to play the role of a small time Indiana Jones. lol

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pather said:
I was just interested in finding out how everyone got started in MDing. Myself, I've loved history and archaeology since I was 4. I read books about treasure in my library in grade school and was told by many people that you'll never find things like that. I read a book about oceanography in 7th grade that had a section about shipwrecks and reales and the like. I was hooked and read a lot about SCUBA and shipwrecks but then forgot for 2 years. Prior to that I wanted to bring my grandpa's ancient 'Minolta' detector to the beach. Earlier this year I was in a bookstore thgat had a book that said, just, 'Treasure'. I picked it up and turned back the cover...on the first page I saw there was an underwater picture of gold coins in Hierakanopolis, Egypt. I had a romantic epiphany of days gone by when all I wanted to do was SCUBA dive. I bought some books and magazines and then asked for a detector for Christmas last year. So that's my story.
your site is awesome! BTW, the coin in question was minted at the San Francisco Mint for the Philippines for several years in the early 1900s. They were one of our territories at the time.

T

treasurejack

Glad you enjoyed it. Being single, it gives me something to to do during the winter months, also keeps me out of trouble! lol

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100

I have always been interested in history and in the last few years I have really gotten into genealogy (thanks to the internet). I used to live in Northern VA and as a kid we went to Gettysburg every summer - the Civil War is in my blood -lol! So for Christmas this year, each person was allowed 1 'High ticket item' - less than $200. I told hubby I wanted a metal detector. Well, he bought it for me - it is not an expensive one - but it is working well for me! I definitely find stuff everywhere and that is what counts!

So far, I have been out every single weekend - Sat and Sun for at least 2 hrs everyday since Xmas. If I continue to love this hobby, by next Christmas I will want a fancier, mid price range model.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I had just though of it as an intresting hobby, so got a detector and out we go! ;)
(else I ussally sit infron of the computer, but got bored with time)

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

I got started detecting when I was in law school. Spring semester of my first year... EXAM TIME. I was literally going insane with the amount of reading and work I had to do for exams. So I figured I would stop in the little hobby shop on my way to school.

I saw a waterproof White's Surfmaster PI, gave the store my license and $100 deposit so I could demo the detector, and went to the beach right after class. I worked this little tiny beach for about 2 hours and found a bunch of coins... and my first ring. I cleaned up the ring and stopped by a pawn shop on my way back to the store (Sorry... I was young and in school... i needed the cash. lol The shop gave me $300 for the ring). I went back to the store and gave the owner $150 saying that it was his detector, he should get 1/2 the finds. He told me to give him the other $150 and the detector was mine.

I've been hooked ever since

steve

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

I got started because I wanted to get rich! ;)

I found out quickly that the Radio Shack detectors only detected 2 inches deep. I saved my money and bought nice Fisher 1220X and started making decent finds.

Now, after 26 years of detecting and many different machines I still want to get rich ;D

Oh well it's been a lot of fun anyway! If I had to do all over again, I would have started sooner.

Cal

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

I was dealing with a lumber yard and one of the people who worked there detected for years and would show me his old coins and jewlery he found. I thought that was great so I went and bought a fisher cz-7. He never told me that he detected all the good stuff and left the pull tabs, shotgun shells and nails for me. But I still love it and I am glad i got addicted.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was about 10 my Brother had a old Mustang detector this was back in 73 or 74. and he found a few items then he bought a relco and gave the mustang to me so I used it a little in 1983 when I was in the Air force I bought a Whites 5000d s 2 from Kellyco and when I was station in Ar. I found hunders of coins best year was over 7000 coins with around 120 silver. and have been doing it off and on ever since.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500

My dad use to tell me about his g.great uncle being like a back door banker and would lend money.
With the story of someone would come over to borrow money and he would go out back be gone for about 15min. and come back with the money. :o
The house that the uncle lived in was on our place and it was thought there had to be a cash hole over the hill behind where the house was.
I've been hunting for it since I was 10. Starting with a detector from Best Buy for $30.00. :)
Well it's been 36 years and I'm still looking for it. :-\
On our place there was also a 2 room log house thats been gone since 1900 but the well is still there and thats where I have found Civil War stuff "buttons heal plates" bottles from 1850's and loads of other stuff.
I started because I had the imagination of finding lost treasure and at 10 this red haired country boy could not be tied inside I had to explore.
Have a great day hunting y'all.
red

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was making fun of my brother, when he got him a MD. Then he handed it to me to try and he almost didn't get it back. Went out and got my own the next week. ;D

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo

:) Hi Pather, I really enjoyed your interesting story! 8) Then I read the threads, and I really related to all of them too! Every single one, written by real folks, all people who have somehow, someway, discovered this path to THunting. 8) Man, thanx for starting this great topic, it was definately needed in here! 8) I think and I hope, that everyone in this TNet forum, will or should come in here and read and then add, their story to your fine post. 8)

In my case, I came across a treasure magazine somewhere (too long ago now to remember where though ;D ) and after leafing through it for a few minutes, I had been bitten by the big ol' treasure bug. ;D Yup, my next stop on the trail to my life changing hobby, was the nearest magazine store. :D Holy mackerel, they never even heard of it. :( O.K., no problem I thought, I'll just try one of the big stores downtown. ::) Well to keep this post fairly short, 7 stores later, surprise, surprise, still no such thing as a treasure mag for this ol' doggy! Plus, most of the magazine dealers, gave me the look, you know the one, that says, o.k. buddy, keep on dreamin'! Treasure, pirates, spanish dubloons, lost treasures, ya right, pal! :(

Normally I'm a fairly laid-back, koolish kinda dude, but taking negative stuff and listening to crap, is not one of my strong points. ;) You see dear friend, Reality, if nothing else, has been my favorite subject all through my life. Truth wins every time! 8) 8) So, with that many people out there tellin' me in their own way, that I must be dreamin or whatever, they unknowingly helped to set my course to uncover my second treasure. ;) Did you see how the negative stuff can be turned into positive things there, by being say, agile or flexable enough to keep on going when others put up road blocks on your path? ;)

I ended my quest that day with a brand spanking new issue of Western & Eastern Treasures which confirmed that indeed, such a wonderful magazine did exist. Of course, like many treasures, even it did not come easy. >:( Nope, I had to hit the uptown places and finally at the 4'th one, I struck paydirt. A real rich streak at that. This particular bright Magazine shop owner, not only had my mag, he also had "Treasure" magazine in there, with a pic on the cover of some kool guy with a handful of old Spanish gold bars from a recent shipwreck recovery! Woa! The Tbug inflickted his second powerful bite into me right then and there in that store. :o My eyes widened, my pulse raced, and a small bead of sweat appeared on my forehead as I paid for my second treasure recovery of the day right there, out in the open, with people all around me and unknowingly passing by what I had just jumped right into with both my feet that day. 8) ;D

Another time Pather, when space permits, I'll tell ya about how, and when etc. I finally got my first actual MD, ;)

Thanks muchly again, for a great, time-warp adventure topic friend!

:) To All who have posted above....

Your "First" Tstories, ROCK!!! 8)

LarryB

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a friend who had one and watched him dig up silver coins right out of my own back yard. I saved up and bought one from radio shack the following spring.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Back in the mid-70's my next door neighbor took me to the grounds of my old grade school with his MD..I didn't have one so I dug up whatever the MD located. I couldn't believe I was digging up money!

Soon after, my parents got me a Radio Shack kit you actually put together..even the circuitry. I took it to the woods and found a cub scout pocketknife I lost two years prior. I thought this was incredible!

In 1979 I received a Garrett BFO and used it to find more things, but it didn't have any real discrimination and I dug up lots of junk along with the good stuff..after awhile I didn't use it anymore and sold it to an elderly gentleman through a newspaper ad.

Then around 1994 I visited my brother-in-law's family, and his son had one in the garage that he borrowed from a friend. I took it out for a minute and found a penny by the sidewalk. My imagination got a jump start so I bought a more modern unit in 1995 and I've been MDing ever since.

Nat

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the replies! I love hearing how others got started.

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina

My uncle got me started detecting back in 1973, he had a heathkit model, I always loved the beep then dig to see what it was. now 34 years later it still is the same way, the old shadow beeps and I dig. Though my dad was never interested in the hobby, my uncle layed the groundwork for a hobby, that I have never out grown and never will
hh
dave+bobbie

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

I found a cache my grandparents had buried but with a shovel while digging around the old homestead. A quart mason jar of silver, I borrowed a detector and from that day on I was hooked.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL

My name is Iskuli. I am the daughter of Adawehe. Adawehe has been metal detecting for over 40 years. He bought a White’s Classic ID ProScan 800 for his 13 year old grandson last Christmas 2005. His grandson, my son, used it a few times, but did not develop an interest in treasure hunting. The treasure-hunting bug, on the other hand, had bitten me. Before leaving that Christmas, he gave me guidance and instruction “on steroids,” and I was able to avoid rookie mistakes through his tutelage. Consequently, I have found 72 rings (only 2 gold), 16 silver coins and over $273.00 in new money. Not bad for a treasure hunting newbie!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread