Questions, questions, questions and no answers

Orvin

Jun 5, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been thinking of hunting a school yard about 4 blocks from home and also a couple of city parks close by but after reading school and city codes and laws can't make heads or tails of the info they provide. I live in Charlottesville, VA anyone have any clue about what is fair game in C-Ville with out wading through tons of codes and laws? other than getting permission to hunt private property? I know state and federal land is (off limits) but have been getting mixed signals in what I read about city parks and school yards. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been thinking of hunting a school yard about 4 blocks from home and also a couple of city parks close by but after reading school and city codes and laws can't make heads or tails of the info they provide. I live in Charlottesville, VA anyone have any clue about what is fair game in C-Ville with out wading through tons of codes and laws? other than getting permission to hunt private property? I know state and federal land is (off limits) but have been getting mixed signals in what I read about city parks and school yards. :icon_scratch:

If u already hunting them and no one said anything to u. Why r u worried about it. R u looking for a reason to get a no?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

For starters, maybe you can shed light on what you find "confusing" ? If what you mean by that, is that you don't see anything there that says anything, either way (eg.: no "allowance", yet no "prohibition" either), then there's nothing to be confused about :) If laws are silent on the issue (say nothing either way), then presto, it's not prohibited, now is it?

As for state and federal, your statement there is not entirely true either. That is an oft-repeated mistake on forums that "all federal land is a no-no" or "all state land is a no-no". This is not necessarily true. There's state lands and federal lands you can hunt. And ... I suppose ... others that you can't (obvious historic landmarks, for instance). Here's one small example (don't get "lost in the example" though): NFS lands actually have specific ALLOWANCE (can't ask for better than that, now can you? haha). And ... doh ... that's federal land. Or state land for example: Here in CA you can hunt state beaches till you're blue in the face, and no one cares (despite anything you might read on the state-by-state state-parks listing for CA, the *reality* is something different).

Anyhow, let us know what it is that "confused" you about the municipal and county laws you looked into, so we can comment a bit better.

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have u tried goin to ur local town hall i mean its 1 place and u should get ur answer pretty quick there either yes or no

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have u tried goin to ur local town hall i mean its 1 place and u should get ur answer pretty quick there either yes or no

Y dig for an answer when ur already detecting these areas.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y dig for an answer when ur already detecting these areas.

Well least then he will have his andaré instead of not knowing & looking over his shoulder to see if he's getting walked up on put it to rest. if ya worried about it if not like u said just dont worry keep on digging

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP said he was "thinking" about the schools and parks, not that he had been hunting them. Tom in CA is correct about silence in the law. Watch your detecting times, make them low traffic periods. I would not put big MDing stickers on the car, hunt without headphones and volume all the way up and you may not want to wear that safety yellow BOOM BABY shirt while screaming juice and roundness. ;)

OP
OP
Orvin

Orvin

Jun 5, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rickv14623,

Your comment made sense, fact is I don't drive because of congestive heart failure and often get light headed so most areas close to home would have to be within walking distance of a few blocks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Christo000, if by this you mean to go as at town hall "can I metal detect?", then no, I would disagree. But that type question can be taken as a form of "permission" (as if .... their "permission" were needed to do a particular activity). On the contrary: you wouldn't think you "need permission" to fly a frisbee, right? Or perhaps you meant to ask them if there's any prohibitions (or "any rules that address this", or something to that effect)? If so, then I'd tread very cautiously doing that. Because unfortunately, there's the risk of them morphing something ELSE to apply to your "pressing question", that they *think* applies. You know, the dreaded alterations or defacement clauses (even though you'll leave no trace). Or that they think you'll harm the earthworms, etc... Thus, no, I would not "go to town hall to ask someone". Instead, the OP ... if he's ultimately going to base it on actual rules anyhow, can look them up himself. Muni laws, codes, rules, etc.... are no "secret". They're available for public viewing SOMEWHERE :)

Or if you or someone is intent on talking to a live person, how about this: You ask them: "where is the publically available listing of laws, charter, codes, etc... of the city/county here". Then they'll give you a link. Or pull the binder from behind the desk. Or refer you to where it is, etc.... Presto. And if you see nothing there saying "no metal detectors", then there's your answer :)

Oh, and as far as the advice being so that you "don't have to look over your shoulder", well .. if someone's looked it up, and seen no prohibitions, they can print that out, and carry it with them for it a busy-body approaches.

Last edited:

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your city and/or park online ordinances have a search function, type in metal detector. Most municipalities will address that issue if there are laws/rules concerning it.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Christo000, if by this you mean to go as at town hall "can I metal detect?", then no, I would disagree. But that type question can be taken as a form of "permission" (as if .... their "permission" were needed to do a particular activity). On the contrary: you wouldn't think you "need permission" to fly a frisbee, right? Or perhaps you meant to ask them if there's any prohibitions (or "any rules that address this", or something to that effect)? If so, then I'd tread very cautiously doing that. Because unfortunately, there's the risk of them morphing something ELSE to apply to your "pressing question", that they *think* applies. You know, the dreaded alterations or defacement clauses (even though you'll leave no trace). Or that they think you'll harm the earthworms, etc... Thus, no, I would not "go to town hall to ask someone". Instead, the OP ... if he's ultimately going to base it on actual rules anyhow, can look them up himself. Muni laws, codes, rules, etc.... are no "secret". They're available for public viewing SOMEWHERE :)

Or if you or someone is intent on talking to a live person, how about this: You ask them: "where is the publically available listing of laws, charter, codes, etc... of the city/county here". Then they'll give you a link. Or pull the binder from behind the desk. Or refer you to where it is, etc.... Presto. And if you see nothing there saying "no metal detectors", then there's your answer :)

Oh, and as far as the advice being so that you "don't have to look over your shoulder", well .. if someone's looked it up, and seen no prohibitions, they can print that out, and carry it with them for it a busy-body approaches.

Actually its meant more of like what ism is saying

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The OP said he was "thinking" about the schools and parks, not that he had been hunting them. Tom in CA is correct about silence in the law. Watch your detecting times, make them low traffic periods. I would not put big MDing stickers on the car, hunt without headphones and volume all the way up and you may not want to wear that safety yellow BOOM BABY shirt while screaming juice and roundness. ;)

I just lol'd

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever had to ask permission to have a picnic in the park? Fly a kite? Etc. Then why ask to metal detect? Its a recreational hobbie. I usually hunt parks and tot lots early in the morning or after it rains. Not very many people during these times. I recommend hunting tot lots first and practice digging in your yard until you learn to pinpoint your targets and digging them with minimal damage. Just my 2¢

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do people think this hobby is somehow prohibited? Has the IQ of us hunters gone down so much in the past couple years or are we turning into panty waists? If it isn't prohibited, it is OK to do. I mean don't go around kissing guys. :tongue3: It isn't against the law, but You would get your skin damaged at the least.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Orvin...if ya get bored detecting at that school site...try juggling cats in your underwear. It's lots of fun once you practice a few times and I'm pretty certain that you will not find it listed as a prohibited activity. I don't know you, but if your dumb like me...I can help you Google to see if educating yourself has actually become a crime. I already started searching and it doesn't appear to be prohibited. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Totally off subject here, but I also discovered that there is a lot more difference than just the spelling between respect and arrogance.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread