Questions, questions, questions and no answers
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Questions, questions, questions and no answers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jun 2013
    Charlottesville, VA
    Bounty Hunter 505
    24
    11 times
    Metal Detecting

    Questions, questions, questions and no answers

    I have been thinking of hunting a school yard about 4 blocks from home and also a couple of city parks close by but after reading school and city codes and laws can't make heads or tails of the info they provide. I live in Charlottesville, VA anyone have any clue about what is fair game in C-Ville with out wading through tons of codes and laws? other than getting permission to hunt private property? I know state and federal land is (off limits) but have been getting mixed signals in what I read about city parks and school yards.

  2. #2
    us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    1,034
    402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Orvin View Post
    I have been thinking of hunting a school yard about 4 blocks from home and also a couple of city parks close by but after reading school and city codes and laws can't make heads or tails of the info they provide. I live in Charlottesville, VA anyone have any clue about what is fair game in C-Ville with out wading through tons of codes and laws? other than getting permission to hunt private property? I know state and federal land is (off limits) but have been getting mixed signals in what I read about city parks and school yards.
    If u already hunting them and no one said anything to u. Why r u worried about it. R u looking for a reason to get a no?

  3. #3

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10062 times
    Banner Finds (4)

    reply

    Quote Originally Posted by Orvin View Post
    I have been thinking of hunting a school yard about 4 blocks from home and also a couple of city parks close by but after reading school and city codes and laws can't make heads or tails of the info they provide. I live in Charlottesville, VA anyone have any clue about what is fair game in C-Ville with out wading through tons of codes and laws? other than getting permission to hunt private property? I know state and federal land is (off limits) but have been getting mixed signals in what I read about city parks and school yards.
    For starters, maybe you can shed light on what you find "confusing" ? If what you mean by that, is that you don't see anything there that says anything, either way (eg.: no "allowance", yet no "prohibition" either), then there's nothing to be confused about If laws are silent on the issue (say nothing either way), then presto, it's not prohibited, now is it?

    As for state and federal, your statement there is not entirely true either. That is an oft-repeated mistake on forums that "all federal land is a no-no" or "all state land is a no-no". This is not necessarily true. There's state lands and federal lands you can hunt. And ... I suppose ... others that you can't (obvious historic landmarks, for instance). Here's one small example (don't get "lost in the example" though): NFS lands actually have specific ALLOWANCE (can't ask for better than that, now can you? haha). And ... doh ... that's federal land. Or state land for example: Here in CA you can hunt state beaches till you're blue in the face, and no one cares (despite anything you might read on the state-by-state state-parks listing for CA, the *reality* is something different).

    Anyhow, let us know what it is that "confused" you about the municipal and county laws you looked into, so we can comment a bit better.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Jun 18, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Sandman likes this.

  4. #4
    us
    its never lost

    Mar 2013
    mass North Attleboro
    Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
    3,765
    809 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    have u tried goin to ur local town hall i mean its 1 place and u should get ur answer pretty quick there either yes or no

  5. #5
    us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    1,034
    402 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by christo000 View Post
    have u tried goin to ur local town hall i mean its 1 place and u should get ur answer pretty quick there either yes or no
    Y dig for an answer when ur already detecting these areas.

  6. #6
    us
    its never lost

    Mar 2013
    mass North Attleboro
    Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
    3,765
    809 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by dholland02 View Post

    Y dig for an answer when ur already detecting these areas.
    Well least then he will have his andaré instead of not knowing & looking over his shoulder to see if he's getting walked up on put it to rest. if ya worried about it if not like u said just dont worry keep on digging

  7. #7
    us
    Dec 2012
    upstate, ny
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    269
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The OP said he was "thinking" about the schools and parks, not that he had been hunting them. Tom in CA is correct about silence in the law. Watch your detecting times, make them low traffic periods. I would not put big MDing stickers on the car, hunt without headphones and volume all the way up and you may not want to wear that safety yellow BOOM BABY shirt while screaming juice and roundness.

  8. #8
    us
    Jun 2013
    Charlottesville, VA
    Bounty Hunter 505
    24
    11 times
    Metal Detecting
    rickv14623,

    Your comment made sense, fact is I don't drive because of congestive heart failure and often get light headed so most areas close to home would have to be within walking distance of a few blocks.

  9. #9

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10062 times
    Banner Finds (4)

    reply

    Quote Originally Posted by christo000 View Post
    have u tried goin to ur local town hall i mean its 1 place and u should get ur answer pretty quick there either yes or no
    Christo000, if by this you mean to go as at town hall "can I metal detect?", then no, I would disagree. But that type question can be taken as a form of "permission" (as if .... their "permission" were needed to do a particular activity). On the contrary: you wouldn't think you "need permission" to fly a frisbee, right? Or perhaps you meant to ask them if there's any prohibitions (or "any rules that address this", or something to that effect)? If so, then I'd tread very cautiously doing that. Because unfortunately, there's the risk of them morphing something ELSE to apply to your "pressing question", that they *think* applies. You know, the dreaded alterations or defacement clauses (even though you'll leave no trace). Or that they think you'll harm the earthworms, etc... Thus, no, I would not "go to town hall to ask someone". Instead, the OP ... if he's ultimately going to base it on actual rules anyhow, can look them up himself. Muni laws, codes, rules, etc.... are no "secret". They're available for public viewing SOMEWHERE

    Or if you or someone is intent on talking to a live person, how about this: You ask them: "where is the publically available listing of laws, charter, codes, etc... of the city/county here". Then they'll give you a link. Or pull the binder from behind the desk. Or refer you to where it is, etc.... Presto. And if you see nothing there saying "no metal detectors", then there's your answer

    Oh, and as far as the advice being so that you "don't have to look over your shoulder", well .. if someone's looked it up, and seen no prohibitions, they can print that out, and carry it with them for it a busy-body approaches.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Jun 18, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
    Sandman and G.A.P.metal like this.

  10. #10
    Ism
    Ism is offline
    us
    Jun 2009
    Michigan
    Tesoro Vaquero Whites TDI Minelab Sovereign GT XP Deus
    603
    171 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If your city and/or park online ordinances have a search function, type in metal detector. Most municipalities will address that issue if there are laws/rules concerning it.
    When it comes to detecting, you will always find me "out standing in the field".

  11. #11
    us
    its never lost

    Mar 2013
    mass North Attleboro
    Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
    3,765
    809 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

    Christo000, if by this you mean to go as at town hall "can I metal detect?", then no, I would disagree. But that type question can be taken as a form of "permission" (as if .... their "permission" were needed to do a particular activity). On the contrary: you wouldn't think you "need permission" to fly a frisbee, right? Or perhaps you meant to ask them if there's any prohibitions (or "any rules that address this", or something to that effect)? If so, then I'd tread very cautiously doing that. Because unfortunately, there's the risk of them morphing something ELSE to apply to your "pressing question", that they *think* applies. You know, the dreaded alterations or defacement clauses (even though you'll leave no trace). Or that they think you'll harm the earthworms, etc... Thus, no, I would not "go to town hall to ask someone". Instead, the OP ... if he's ultimately going to base it on actual rules anyhow, can look them up himself. Muni laws, codes, rules, etc.... are no "secret". They're available for public viewing SOMEWHERE

    Or if you or someone is intent on talking to a live person, how about this: You ask them: "where is the publically available listing of laws, charter, codes, etc... of the city/county here". Then they'll give you a link. Or pull the binder from behind the desk. Or refer you to where it is, etc.... Presto. And if you see nothing there saying "no metal detectors", then there's your answer

    Oh, and as far as the advice being so that you "don't have to look over your shoulder", well .. if someone's looked it up, and seen no prohibitions, they can print that out, and carry it with them for it a busy-body approaches.
    Actually its meant more of like what ism is saying

  12. #12

    Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    13,667
    10062 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by christo000 View Post
    Actually its meant more of like what ism is saying
    Ok. Then if ..... as he says ...... there is nothing saying "no metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited.

  13. #13
    us
    its never lost

    Mar 2013
    mass North Attleboro
    Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
    3,765
    809 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

    Ok. Then if ..... as he says ...... there is nothing saying "no metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited.
    Ok then

  14. #14
    us
    May 2013
    Northwestern WI
    Garrett AT PRO (Current) Minelab Etrac (Current) Garrett Pro Pointer Sampson 31" Digger Fisher F2 (RIP)
    425
    184 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by rickv14623 View Post
    The OP said he was "thinking" about the schools and parks, not that he had been hunting them. Tom in CA is correct about silence in the law. Watch your detecting times, make them low traffic periods. I would not put big MDing stickers on the car, hunt without headphones and volume all the way up and you may not want to wear that safety yellow BOOM BABY shirt while screaming juice and roundness.
    I just lol'd

  15. #15
    us
    Jan 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
    366
    113 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Have you ever had to ask permission to have a picnic in the park? Fly a kite? Etc. Then why ask to metal detect? Its a recreational hobbie. I usually hunt parks and tot lots early in the morning or after it rains. Not very many people during these times. I recommend hunting tot lots first and practice digging in your yard until you learn to pinpoint your targets and digging them with minimal damage. Just my 2˘
    Sandman and Tom_in_CA like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Silly answers to stupid questions
    By spartacus53 in forum Everything Else
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar 26, 2010, 12:43 AM
  2. Questions and Answers from an AARP Forum
    By DANGLANGLEY in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 19, 2008, 11:06 PM
  3. Automotive Technology Questions & Answers
    By Starbuck in forum My Favorites
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 22, 2008, 09:39 PM
  4. Ultrasonic cleaner..have seen questions..answers here...soon
    By npaisnel in forum Cleaning & Preservation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jun 13, 2006, 09:13 PM
  5. New to hobby,I got Questions,You got answers.
    By jimg in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul 18, 2004, 03:43 PM

Search tags for this page

ace 250 metal detector, charlottesville

,

questions with no answers

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0