vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
A lot of members will say just go do it (MD) - I would ask first Wickaboag.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would ask the owner of the house first. The workers don't have the right to give permission to someone else's property. Even though it is abandoned it is still owned by someone. The foreman should be able to give you the owners info.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would ask the owner of the house first. The workers don't have the right to give permission to someone else's property. Even though it is abandoned it is still owned by someone. The foreman should be able to give you the owners info.

I would not hesitate to ask a rank-&-file hired worker hand. In my opinion, they do indeed, if-so-subrogated, have the ability to say "yes". Oh sure, their superiors can "over-ride" that. Fine. For example: if you walk into the supermarket, and ask a cashier "can I use your restroom", that worker might point the way to their restroom, right? BUT WAIT, that cashier is only a hired-hand-worker. Perhaps you need to ask the store manager, right? BUT WAIT, even that store-manager is only a hired-hand, by some coorporation from elsewhere, right? So you need to keep going to the top, to ask the person who actually holds the pink slip to the store? Nah, in my opinion, the lowly cashier can grant ok's for such things. Now later on, if his manager scolds him and says "but that's for employee use only, and we don't have public restrooms", that's between that manager and the cashier. You are not in any trouble.

Thus I have gotten permission from field workers who don't even speak english, to hunt an orchard of a field (when its very clear they're just hired hand field workers). Or from workers on a demolition site, when ... in fact .... they may just be a hired subcontractor from whomever hired them to tear down a building.

If they say "I don't have that authority, you have to go ask so & so", then fine. So be it. But if they say "yes", I'm not going to argue with that :hello:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant hurt right? ull either get a new spot or not good luck though

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not hesitate to ask a rank-&-file hired worker hand. In my opinion, they do indeed, if-so-subrogated, have the ability to say "yes". Oh sure, their superiors can "over-ride" that. Fine. For example: if you walk into the supermarket, and ask a cashier "can I use your restroom", that worker might point the way to their restroom, right? BUT WAIT, that cashier is only a hired-hand-worker. Perhaps you need to ask the store manager, right? BUT WAIT, even that store-manager is only a hired-hand, by some coorporation from elsewhere, right? So you need to keep going to the top, to ask the person who actually holds the pink slip to the store? Nah, in my opinion, the lowly cashier can grant ok's for such things. Now later on, if his manager scolds him and says "but that's for employee use only, and we don't have public restrooms", that's between that manager and the cashier. You are not in any trouble.

Thus I have gotten permission from field workers who don't even speak english, to hunt an orchard of a field (when its very clear they're just hired hand field workers). Or from workers on a demolition site, when ... in fact .... they may just be a hired subcontractor from whomever hired them to tear down a building.

If they say "I don't have that authority, you have to go ask so & so", then fine. So be it. But if they say "yes", I'm not going to argue with that :hello:

I agree 100%, couldn't have said it any better!:icon_thumright:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Completely agree! What's the worst that could happen, the owner (or boss) comes along and asks what you are doing, you say I got permission from that guy over there, and they either say OK, or leave....

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel so creepy-

I'm watching the yard from a few houses up. There's one lady in there washing the front windows. And the construction workers just left. They pulled in, were pointing around the dirt area. Got back in truck and left. I'm debating asking the girl washing the windows? Or wait for the construction workers.
Any tips?

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Just walked over and asked. They said someones asked. But I'm the first hunting it
Wicka (-:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

.... comes along and asks what you are doing, you say I got permission from that guy over there.. ..

haha. I actually knew a guy, who hunted old-town urban demolition tearouts all the time. And he had the presence of mind to go after 6pm, when the workers have all cut out for the day. So he'd rarely be bothered or run into anyone. BUT IF ANYONE EVER DID accost him, he'd say "the guy in the truck said it was ok". And if they said "who was that?", he'd say: "he was wearing blue jeans and a baseball cap" or some such nonsense like that. So whomever he was talking to might say "ok", or "well I don't know who that was, but I say no", etc... Worked every time. At the very worst he'd have to bail.

Not say I would ever do that though :hello: This was also the friend of mine who's father lost a boyscout ring a LOT of places as well. Fancy that.

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of an old fishing trip where my buddy said he knew where to catch some good catfish, we went at midnight as it was summer, we were below the rim of the tank and BOOM, headlights appeared right on top of us, I saw a couple of boots, as we were sitting down and by the boots the end of a shot gun. Do you have permission to be here he asked? My buddy said yep, from the owner. Did the owner look like me he asked, nope said my buddy. Surprisingly he let us stay. I know there's a moral of a story in there somewhere.

OP
OP
Wickaboag

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Atleast noone got shot :p

Did well for first time I think.
A silver Rosie and 5 wheats and a 1906 IH!
No key dates. Tons of trash. Best was the first hole. Rosie off the bat and here and there a wheat or memorial. And I switched settings to "2" sensitivity instead of "3" and didnt get anymore trash. Just coins (-: coincidence maybe. But coins were always there no ghost signals. I dug too many 1 ft+ ghost holes...
Glad I got out!
Wicka

Last edited:

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha. I actually knew a guy, who hunted old-town urban demolition tearouts all the time. And he had the presence of mind to go after 6pm, when the workers have all cut out for the day. So he'd rarely be bothered or run into anyone. BUT IF ANYONE EVER DID accost him, he'd say "the guy in the truck said it was ok". And if they said "who was that?", he'd say: "he was wearing blue jeans and a baseball cap" or some such nonsense like that. So whomever he was talking to might say "ok", or "well I don't know who that was, but I say no", etc... Worked every time. At the very worst he'd have to bail.

Not say I would ever do that though :hello: This was also the friend of mine who's father lost a boyscout ring a LOT of places as well. Fancy that.

Just like in the corporate world, half the battle is acting like you know what you are talking about.

lucky larry

Apr 16, 2013

Your reasoning is faulty making your analogy fail. It is reasonable for a cashier to point a customer to the bathroom since that is good customer service - unless so doing is expressly forbidden. The cashier is not granting ownership of the property. In the case of the abandoned house, the worker - regardless of rank - has no authority to grant someone the right to search the grounds and take whatever item they find. To think otherwise flies in the face of common sense - and the law.

What would not be OK is if the cashier told the customer that it was OK to access a restricted areaIt would not be OK if the cashier told that same customer they could help themselves to a

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I agree with that. If an employee of a business granted me permission to enter a "restricted" area, who am I to argue. If there is a problem, it's between the employee and his boss....not me. I don't think it's up to us to determine who has the legal authority on private land. If someone there acts as if they have the authority, we'll just assume they do.....unless we get a "no"....then we'll ask someone else!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your reasoning is faulty making your analogy fail. It is reasonable for a cashier to point a customer to the bathroom since that is good customer service - unless so doing is expressly forbidden. The cashier is not granting ownership of the property. In the case of the abandoned house, the worker - regardless of rank - has no authority to grant someone the right to search the grounds and take whatever item they find. To think otherwise flies in the face of common sense - and the law.

What would not be OK is if the cashier told the customer that it was OK to access a restricted areaIt would not be OK if the cashier told that same customer they could help themselves to a

Come on. Its really not that complicated... We dont need to have a logic class here!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Larry, I'm reminded of a humorous story, akin to your cautious reasoning: A fellow go to a park for the first time to metal detect. He sees a rank-&-file worker emptying garbage cans, and asks him: "Can I metal detect here?" The young worker shrugs his shoulders and says "I don't see why not?". The md'r wasn't too sure about this, as it appeared that the worker might just be a lowly worker. So the md'rs searches further, and finds a higher ranking boss in a park truck driving around. Asks him: "Can I metal detect here?". Same answer "beats me, I don't care". But again, the md'r seemed to think that these answers were not authoritive enough, and lacked an outright "yes it's legal" type of boldness. And again he feared that this other worker also might not have the authority to authorize. So he goes to city hall. His questions gets bounced higher and higher up the chain of command (afterall, you "can't be too safe", right Larry?). Eventually the mayor or whomever tells him "no". Gee, it's a good thing he asked, right? :hello:

While what you are saying may be technically true (that someone in higher authority can over-ride, or have more say-so, or "hold the pink slip"), etc.... yet ......... so what? That's between them and their superior. Like if I go knock on someone's door, and ask if I can metal detect on their lawn. If they say "yes", do I then follow it up with questions like: "Wait!, are you a mere renter here? If so, I need to talk to the landlord". Of course not. The average person would say "thankyou" and commence hunting. Why argue with a yes? The mere fact someone says "yes" implies that they have that ability to grant it (subrogated to them in some fashion). If they are mistaken, then why is that yours/my problem?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread