dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took mine last year, couldn't get near the wet sand. It went completely nuts there useless in salt water.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took mine last year, couldn't get near the wet sand. It went completely nuts there useless in salt water.

Agreed. Forget the wet sand and surf, at least east coast anyway. Falsing down to the lowest sens. Pretty good depth in the dry sand though

Branden

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2013
Central, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my ace 350 in the creeks and rivers and the wet mud along the banks and I haven't been getting any false signals. I run with my sensitivity at 3-4 notches. I do notice that the depth gauge in wet ground is about a joke.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my ace 350 in the creeks and rivers and the wet mud along the banks and I haven't been getting any false signals. I run with my sensitivity at 3-4 notches. I do notice that the depth gauge in wet ground is about a joke.

Its fine in fresh water just not salt water.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace series detectors can't hunt on the wet sand or the water if it is a salt water beach because they don't have ground balance adjustment. It has to do with the salt water conductivity and the minerals in the water.
The AT-Pro has it and that is why it can hunt in those conditions.
Usually non adjustable ground balance machines are factory set to around 70-80 and that's what I run my AT-Pro at in the dry sand. When I am by the salt water I have to ground balance it down to 10-15.

Just stay in the dry sand by the entrances and the blanket areas and your Ace will work fine.

Last edited:

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I have an ace 150-

I know it's not much but I enjoy it for now thinking about upgrading
Are there things to be found besides pocket change in blanket areas at beaches? I've never hunted a populated beach before I will hunt in the mornings and afternoons when it's less crowded.
Any tips? Stories?
Wicka

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ace 150-

I know it's not much but I enjoy it for now thinking about upgrading
Are there things to be found besides pocket change in blanket areas at beaches? I've never hunted a populated beach before I will hunt in the mornings and afternoons when it's less crowded.
Any tips? Stories?
Wicka

Sure, there's things to find. Hit the blanket line. The place where people lay on their blankets. You really can find anything there. Jewelry, coins, hell, even cellphones. Just pay attention to where folks are gathering, then hit it later. You never know until you swing.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
oh pullleeeasse, tell me that video isn't serious. To put a penny on top of the ground, and demonstrate a machine can pick it up? Well I sure as heck HOPE it can pick up a penny on top of the ground. Doh! Sure, for all those posts/people who say the "250 is a poor wet-salt machine", they never said it can't even pick up a penny on top of the sand. And sure, if you hold it high enough, and have the sens. down low, I don't doubt you "won't false" (assuming the minerals aren't too bad there, is another factor).

But that video doesn't say anything about how it's going to get it's b*tt kicked when chasing deeper coins in the wet salt, when stacked up against a Sovereign, Explorer, Excalibur, Whites 6000 Di pro, CZ6, etc...., etc...

I hunted side by side an ACE 250 user, on a white sand beach (low minerals), and yes, like the video showed, it will find shallow stuff. The top 5 or 6" anyhow. But the fellow couldn't get a peep on the deeper ones I flagged for him to try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread