how to get numismatic value

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

does anyone know how to get numismatic value for coins dug from the ground? do they just pay you scrap for them what if its a key date?

when you say "dug from the ground", I assume you're referring to value after accounting for any "ground-kisses" or wear, etc... ? Grading is just something you'll have to learn. There's on-line grading guides (that instruct you which features on coins to look at, to evaluate amount of wear/circulation). And as for anything the ground added (discoloration, micro-pits, etc...), you have to account for that too, as those things can downgrade value/grade, of course.

Once you've deduced a grade, here's a website for coin-values:

PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values

I know this link says it's only for "slabbed" coins (coins graded by that agency), but I have found it's still a good measuring tool to get approx values, rarities, etc...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i would say a dime would be worth ...10 cents ....a penny 1 cent .... a quarter 25 cents......If it is not a key date or in great shape that is what i get for them......

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Some coins are very rare - unless you find one of them (like a copper cent minted by Paul Revere) or its a silver or gold coin, you may not get very much for it. As Keppy says, it should always be worth its denomination value. Most people that find current vintage coins simple start putting them back in circulation.

If you think you have something valuable - don't clean it. Go to a coin shop and see if they think its collectable.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find out if it's a key date by looking it up for yourself online or in a book. Keep in mind that there could be varieties and mint errors that can change the value dramatically. As for grading the coin, it's kinda like metal detecting, it takes some time to get experience at that. If you're just looking to sell what you find, get at least three offers from local coin shops. If you don't have that many dealers in your area, you can also check similar coins on E-bay to get an idea of how yours compares. Grading generally takes into account the wear, damage, and overall eye appeal of the coin. Online sales of your coins is also a good option when it comes to sell but you need to be able to post a real good photo if you want to get any bidding action.

OP
OP
M

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hm i see thats very good info but what if its silver how do i get more than silver price does it have to be a key date?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are many coin books and sites that will give you values for every kind of coin made. What you will get for it is what you can get someone to pay for it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hm i see thats very good info but what if its silver how do i get more than silver price does it have to be a key date?
It doesn't really matter what metal it's made of when it comes to grading but depending on what the coin actually grades will determine what it's worth. If it's a common date with damage, it's probably on worth the melt value. You need to figure out rarity first, then the grade. With that info and a price guide to help you, go get some offers.

OP
OP
M

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
k so the older the coin the more damage its going to have right from the ground? like if i happen to find a bust coin from 1800s its probably not going to be very readable am i right? if i do find one i assume i should just try and clean off the date part and then i can look up the date to find out what it is if i cant see detales right?

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Blue Book, past eBay or Heritage auctions, and there are many other sources. Chances are, if you find a silver coin it will still have a readable date. Most copper coins found are only going to grade pretty low, because they are more susceptible to the damage caused from being buried.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, soil conditions will play a big part in what the coin will look like when you get it out of the ground. I've pulled silver coins from 10" down that looked like they were minted yesterday and others that were so crusty and pitted that you could barely tell type, let alone a date.

OP
OP
M

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned, soil conditions will play a big part in what the coin will look like when you get it out of the ground. I've pulled silver coins from 10" down that looked like they were minted yesterday and others that were so crusty and pitted that you could barely tell type, let alone a date.

i thought copper was the only coin to get crusted and not readable? doesn't silver and gold always come out of the ground clean as in only a black coler is this wrong?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the silvers in my area come out nice and shiny. Some soil conditions and salt water are not as nice to them though.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, salt water is tough on silver. So is fertilizer and other minerals in some soils.

OP
OP
M

mike1

May 21, 2013
north liberty indana
Detector(s) used
ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh so generally its clean but not all the time but it still holds up better then other metals correct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread