Looking for help #2

Gsr21

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is everyone doing , my name is Adam and I am new to this fourm and new to mding
So here is the situation , I work for air Canada and I do a lot of traveling ,so I want to beabe to whip on my md where ever I go ,I have done a lot of research and am having some trouble ,I can't find an all purpose md , what do you guys and girls recommend for salt water ,fresh water, land and sand , would like to keep it under 1500$ but my main is goal is just 1 md , would like one where I can scuba dive and snorkel with
There got to be something out there that will do it all
Thanks

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the most all purpose detector out there right now alowing u to be able to do what u said without having to have multiple machines would be garretts atpro pick that up along with the 5x8 coil and a garret pro pointer u will be under budget and will be able to do it all when ever and on whatever terrain u come across, there r a couple others out there the more bells and whistles u get $ goes up but u will be very happy with this choice the atpro keeps right up with my $1800 whites v3i both are totaly different but detecting wise it keeps up the pro is light waterproof to 10' and if u feel u need to go under the water in that 10' range grey ghost just came out with a nice pair of headphone that can go under the water good luck and let us know the outcome

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My opinion is that there is no one machine that does it all. Some come close, like the AT Pro as mentioned, but it struggles in saltwater. Types of detectors differ like golf clubs. Some MD's excel in saltwalter (pulse induction and multi frequency) but lack discrimination. Single frequency machines like the AT Pro excel in freshwater and land use because you can filter unwanted target types.

Now i mention the ATP only because i have one and have no experience with other brands. So to help with your question, you might have to ask yourself "What environment will i hunt the most?" If its saltwater, then a PI machine like the Tesoro Tiger or Multi Freq. Sand Shark would suit your needs. Just my 2c

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, there isn't one machine that will do it all well. In your price range, the AT Pro is probably as close as you're going to get unless you can find a good used CTX3030 that cheap. The CTX3030 new is around $2000 and is a very good machine in most types of hunting but, there again, it isn't excellent in all phase of detecting. I rate it excellent in coin hunting and beach hunting, very good in water hunting (though limited by depth) and relic hunting, and only fair in nugget hunting. The AT Pro rates slightly less in each catagory except salt water wet sand or salt water where it rates only fair.

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why people say the At pro has trouble with saltwater mine works fine i use freq 4 with 3 notches down on the sensitivity

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why people say the At pro has trouble with saltwater mine works fine i use freq 4 with 3 notches down on the sensitivity

Im not saying it has trouble at all I myself have used mine aswell in salt water & was,mearly saying that it will work I have aswell found targets with out any issue what I was meaning to say to someo.e WHO hasnt used it in salt water u will need to adjust the sensitivity lower to get more stable hits verse land hunting was all

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an excal for the diving and wet and dry beach , I've tried mine on dry land but much rather use the ATPro or etrac, and thanks sandy shoes ill try the at pro next trip in freq 4, 3 notches down on sens . HH all

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say you couldn't use it in salt water, just that when compared to other machines designed for salt water, it's not near as good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread