Odd happenings with M/Ds

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Odd happenings with M/D's

A friend of mine and I have detected a few times by her house on an old gravel road, where we did find some old coins.
But we hit this one area, where both of our detectors act up. She has a really nice White's, and I have a new digital Treasure hunter. Both act up really screwy at the same time, jump all over the place, screens flashing. Is this a magnetic field we are in? No power lines or cables as far as I know. Old, abandoned road. Our detectors have never done this anywhere else.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Re: Odd happenings with M/D's

I hit a area like that a few years ago, I could not figuer it out untill I looked real close ans started finding lead shavings and lots of it. :-\
Or your hunting to close to Roswell NM. ;D
Have fun hunting.
Red

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have run into a couple of these areas myself out in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't locate a single target. It was like I was standing next to a electrical transformer.

ET's landing site, who knows..............

ernie

Jun 11, 2004

i tried hunting an old boy scout camp and my detector and my buddies would sound off constantly and they were different makes we never did find out why and they never acted like that again.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo

Spooky stuff Scotto... :D

Maybe, like Red said, yer way too close to that well known New Mexico area! ;D ??? Have to ask you though, a couple of quickies, just to make sure you already covered most of the basics, o.k.? First, you weren't just hunting too close to each other to cause any "cross-talk" between units with a similar freq. were you? Then what mode (s) were ya'll in? Did you then, try different modes? Then try a few more? Do your machines have auto or manual, ground balance? Lastly for now, did you check the ground out real close like Red mentioned, to see if there were any little bits of any? kind of metals mixed in with the soil there? Think about the details of each one of those things for a bit, and then if ya did all that pretty good, I have a very possible answer for you and your friend. 8) Oh ya, this same thing could be what happened to Ernie at the old Scout Camp. Not too hard to imagine a few unfound "treasures" from a Scouting style treasure hunt, and no detectors around the camp back then. Kids of yesteryear all used to love hiding stuff at some point in time, in their lives! ;) Has there been many or any other families living in your friends house? Is the house old? This very well could be your machines way of trying to tell you there are some caches, buried 6 inches to a foot or so deep, right there. Especially if both machines do the wild thing, in a smallish area! 8) 8)

Ya never know! ;) I'd be going back there again and doing a little more, metal detective work, if I were you buddyman! 8) ;D

Lb

Louisa

Dec 15, 2006
Ouchita Mountains, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Larry, I'm Scotto's friend and this area is roughly an 8'x8' area. I have hunted it several times by myself and my Whites XLT goes "STUPID". It doesn't matter if we are both sweeping the area or sweeping it solo, the reaction is the same. I've used the preset programs, coins, coins and jewelry, relic and prospecting. The reaction the detector responds to in this small area is the same. I'll get several bars on both sides and the detector sounds as though it's on overload. Scotto's detector will make a growling sound and sounds like a geiger counter sounding off. My Whites ground balance, set it to program, hold to waist, then to ground, and I've reset it several times, turned it off, on, then re-balanced. The icons will show, penny, dime, nickel, ring, quarter, screw cap, nail, hot rock, etc. Number readouts will go anywhere from 16 to 95. Also as you walk into this area, good loud target signals then everything goes flakey and nothing is consistent. Walk out of the area and the detectors go back to normal.

This area is an old abandoned road, that no longer goes through and deadends into another property. There is an old cabin/barn roughly 20 yards (distance?) from this location. Coins found off this old road are a 1959 Franklin half, 1907 British cent, 1926 buffalo nickel and Scotto found a 1936 Buffalo nickel. I have also found a 1890 indian cent in my yard near where the old road is but that's roughly 300 yards uphill from this crazy area.

Red mentioned lead shavings, if I get the time this weekend, I'll go back down there with the detector and a five gallon bucket and dig some dirt where the detectors sound off, bring it back home and sweep it. It will be interesting to see how the detector reacts with the removed clay and dirt, if I get readings I'll sift through to see if I can find anything.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

Just think if there's a 1400 pound meteorite in the ground like they found in Kansas. Could be worth 3 million bucks. You just never know! Maybe a little digging is in order? Need some help?

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

If the site is right on a road could there be a galvanized culvert under the road. I dug one once. they're four or more feet deep in hard packed earth.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

khouse said:
Just think if there's a 1400 pound meteorite in the ground like they found in Kansas. Could be worth 3 million bucks. You just never know! Maybe a little digging is in order? Need some help?

Where you at khouse?

Thanks for everyone's input!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006

Scotto,
I just threw the "do you need any help" in there so I could split the 3 million bucks! I live about 40 miles south east of Kansas City, Missouri.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread