Same old story but i have to ask...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I am fairly knowledgable in jewelry and coins. I specialize in them on a rookie level. Can you recommend a good detector for a beginning user that would like to find these items? And are there forums where people trade finds?

Well, .... *all* metal detectors will find "jewelry and coins". That's what metal detectors do, afterall, is find metal. So you need to be a little more specific on a) The kind of places you intend to hunt. b) What is your tolerance for junk? c) How much do you want to spend? d) are you ok with missing tinsel fine gold chains and earing studs? Or do you absolutely not want to miss those either?

And even then, as you can expect, this is sort of the chevy/ford type of question, as there's infinite variables, personal favorites, etc...

For me, I've settled for many years now on a good all-around Explorer, for both coins and jewelry. But sure, it's going to miss tinself fine chains or earing studs. But it's versatility and depth are extremely popular now throughout the hobbyist ranks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
oh, and I see that you add "... for a beginning user". Just be aware that the explorer has a long learning curve, so I wouldn't exactly call it "beginning user level". If you've got a bunch of target-prolific sites (that haven't been hit hard by everyone and his brother), then a bunch of machines can find both "coins and jewelry". No shortage of them. But .... it all depends on how serious you want to get (depth, bells & whistles, ability in minerals, target separation, etc...)

OP
OP
Susanska

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for not being specific :) I don't mind missing the little things, I don't have a lot of money, since its all put into my collections. I would invest more than usual if its quality and fairly easy to use. I collect silver, hate gold (but don't mind it either, just wouldn't buy it!) I've studied silver markings for years! I would probably hit old areas that you can get to by walking a distance. Usually near water in the piedmont of NC, east coast NC and SC, and some in Canada near Normandale and Turkey Point, ONT. (hometowns)

EasyriderTX

Apr 4, 2013
DFW area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will be wanting a pin pointer and a digging tool also. I MD with a Teknetics Delta 4000 along with a Garrett Pin Pointer, they fit my needs and budget. Scroll to the brands tab in the forum. If you decide to buy any type as they say try to purchase from one of the forums supporting vendors.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A used 6000 di pro is a good all around versatile machine. Will work well in salt wet sand. Good for coins, etc.. Easy to learn. Can be had used for low $ I think (d/t it's been out of production for many years now, yet LOTS were sold in-the-day). Be sure it's the Di pro though, and not any of the earlier incarnations of the 6000. There's a lot of guys ....to this day .... who won't switch away from that machine. It's not as deep as some of today's power-houses, but a good-all around machine.

OP
OP
Susanska

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be wanting a pin pointer and a digging tool also. I MD with a Teknetics Delta 4000 along with a Garrett Pin Pointer, they fit my needs and budget. Scroll to the brands tab in the forum. If you decide to buy any type as they say try to purchase from one of the forums supporting vendors.

Thank you Easyrider!

OP
OP
Susanska

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A used 6000 di pro is a good all around versatile machine. Will work well in salt wet sand. Good for coins, etc.. Easy to learn. Can be had used for low $ I think (d/t it's been out of production for many years now, yet LOTS were sold in-the-day). Be sure it's the Di pro though, and not any of the earlier incarnations of the 6000. There's a lot of guys ....to this day .... who won't switch away from that machine. It's not as deep as some of today's power-houses, but a good-all around machine.

Tom in CA, thank you for your info! I hope to start soon :) ill start looking into them.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe look for a used detector at a local dealer or see if there are any metal detecting clubs in your area. Try different models if you can.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom, a 6000di pro is a very good choice. So is a Minelab Sovereign and a Garrett AT Pro if they're in your price range. All three will work in wet salt sand (the Sov being the best choice for that environment) and in just about any land location. Silver jewelry is one of the easier items to find for any detector. It's the ground conditions that separate the good choices from bad. The Minelab would have the edge in bad ground.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree 100 percent with this, So even though the Garrett Pro Pinpointer is around $120.00 USD and a really decent digging tool like the Lesche is another $40.00 USD, be sure and add both to your budget. They are really both worth the money.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I agree with Tom, a 6000di pro is a very good choice. So is a Minelab Sovereign and a Garrett AT Pro if they're in your price range. All three will work in wet salt sand (the Sov being the best choice for that environment) and in just about any land location. Silver jewelry is one of the easier items to find for any detector. It's the ground conditions that separate the good choices from bad. The Minelab would have the edge in bad ground.

I know that some people have adapted the sov. for land hunting, and actually love it for that (and ... yes, especially the beach as you say). But for me, I found it VERY annoying and NOT user friendly on land. The beeeooonngggs are just way to drawn out for me (great characteristic for the beach though, where targets are typically more spread out). I would just pity the poor beginner who gets a sov, and tries to take it into a junky yard, or ruinsy type target riddled area. Pinpointing poor, sounds warbly, etc... I would therefore not classify that as a beginner detector. But yes, some people have actually figured it out for land-hunting. I just couldn't hack it. And that with MASSIVE amounts of hours using the Excalibur (which is essentially the same thing) on the beach. So it wasn't as though I wasn't in it for enough time, or didn't have experience, etc....

The fast response of other detectors just seems much more user friendly for land sites. The explorer, for instance, goes as deep as the sov, yet has the nice fast response one would want on junky land sites. JMHO.

OP
OP
Susanska

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The bad ground thing would really annoy me. Just learning, I would hate to pick spots and all are bad. Maybe the mine lab is an option?

OP
OP
Susanska

Susanska

Jun 23, 2013
Faith
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question... What about the store options? Bass Pro Shop has a selection. Are these usually as good quality or are they more of a commercial thing?

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another question... What about the store options? Bass Pro Shop has a selection. Are these usually as good quality or are they more of a commercial thing?

Stick with an actual metal detector dealer, bass pro has no clue what or how to help you.

Orvin

Jun 5, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bass Pro is OK for fishing supplies but don't know a tinkers dam about metal detectors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread