More Dig Wars Embarrassments from the Chicago Guys

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuned into Dig Wars tonight. These guys from Chicago are really very annoying and immature, from Chicago Ron's partner blowing a kiss to him after a find, to both of them throwing pennies at their competition to throw them off, to what got me the most frustrated which was turning down Abby's discrimination knob to thrown her off. I suppose there is some redemption in the fact that they have not won a competition yet and by earning a whopping total of one cent tonight. I held off saying anything to this point because I was hoping these things were just fluke behaviors but it is clear now that it is a pattern. If this show gets renewed and the Chicago guys are still on it and actually read this, I hope they will behave more maturely going forwards. It's not funny and it's not working. We have enough stereotypes from the public. All this stuff does is feed into it any negativity that may be out there for the casual person flipping through the channel. I'll take BOOM BABY any day over this stuff. Sheesh.

Upvote 0

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be happy there is any show on that deals with detecting or prospecting. I watched Tom Massey for years and Gold Fever was the only one on TV. Not all episodes are great in all these shows, but if we bash them all we won't have any. Add suggestions in a positive manner, maybe how to make it better then just bash... Ideas make changes complaints produce only anger!

Thats how i look at reguardless if I agree with them or not or any of them I just watch it cuz its sumthing I like to do & will take all if the shows over the other sports on tv cuz this is what I like to do

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've watched all of ChicagoRon's video's (hey when the ground is frozen in Michigan, you have to do something!) and he and Mark aren't usually like that in their home video's. For the most part Ron and Mark work hard, find some good stuff and congratulate eachother. They return rings, they make video's showing techniques for less experienced detectorists. They only prankish or jovial stuff I have seen them do is they have a gold competition each year, and loser has to buy the other a steak dinner. Cigars after a day of detecting. And throwing a squishy ball at eachother when they get a gold coin in England. Not too over the top. I'm guessing the producers have asked them to go over the top. Check out his blog regarding the "Reality of Reality TV"
Chicago Ron | The Detecting World

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talon - Thanks for the link to Chicago Ron's Blog. I enjoyed his youtube videos in the past and e-mailed him a question before and he responded right away. The Dig Wars show is a little too much "reality" show for me but after all it is a TV show. Compared to the other shows it is better, but that isn't a great complement.

If you ever have seen Lucky Muckers on National Geographic, I think that is a better view of Ron.

HH,

Pete

bluescruise

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, White's Prizm II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've watched most of these detecting shows, and I can take the over the top staged clowning around, as I can understand what we do for enjoyment, doesn't translate to that interesting or entertainment value to someone not really familiar with our hobby. What irritates me more than the goofy behavior, is the dubbed in detector sounds, which sounds more like a heart monitor than reality, and the stupid camera on the coil looking up angle they seem to think is so great. Ugh! :-(

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched most of these detecting shows, and I can take the over the too staged clowning around, as I can understand what we do for enjoyment, doesn't translate to that interesting or entertainment value to someone not really familiar with our hobby. What irritates me more than the goofy behavior, is the dubbed in detector sounds, which sounds more like a heart monitor than reality, and the stupid camera on the coil looking up angle they seem to think is so great. Ugh! :-(

Its real annoying when u see them put the pro pointer in the hole and they have a dectector soubd for it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We have one TV set in our house. My wife dominates the viewing schedule, and this beats "pretty little liars", and "true blood" all to heck.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've watched most of these detecting shows, and I can take the over the top staged clowning around, as I can understand what we do for enjoyment, doesn't translate to that interesting or entertainment value to someone not really familiar with our hobby. What irritates me more than the goofy behavior, is the dubbed in detector sounds, which sounds more like a heart monitor than reality, and the stupid camera on the coil looking up angle they seem to think is so great. Ugh! :-(

I hear that, especially when they show the Pro Pointer and they make it sound like one of my dogs chew toys! :laughing9:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather watch Deep Digger Dan.....Go on... Get in!!!!!

I am a big fan of DDD. I was surprised to see a bad review on this show as I watch it, and found it a good representation of the hobby. Also the antics of Chicago Ron and sidekick makes the show. There has not been enough episodes for me to really be turned off or on by this series. But I will keep watching. I am glad there is a assortment of detectors and they are getting to hunt some really good sites. All detectors are not equal. Im sure the Chicago guys have yet to be in a place where the detectors will shine. Deep Digger Dan should be a guest on the show to show em all how its done, They guy is killer with a detector in his hand.

Captain PopTop

May 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Garret. AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats with the Haters ? ,Jealous cause they didn't pick you ? , all reality tv is scripted and has to be entertaining otherwise it doesn't get past the pilot show, I wish them the Best of Luck

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way, here is something positive: Beau Ouimette's videos are awesome. Love watching that guy.

+1 !

I found his video's even before I bought my first metal detector and I think I've watched them all! I've learned a lot from watching his video's and credit him and his video's with inspiring me to finally take up a hobby that I have wanted to do all of my life, but only finally started doing when I retired. His video's gave me the basis on what detector to start looking at when I first started researching them, and ultimately I did wind up with the AT Pro as I live in the NW corner of Oregon which has its fair share of rivers, lakes and beach front, and MORE than it's share of rain!

My hat is off to Aquachigger!

Last edited:

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats with the Haters ? ,Jealous cause they didn't pick you ? , all reality tv is scripted and has to be entertaining otherwise it doesn't get past the pilot show, I wish them the Best of Luck

I think a lot of people are just tired of reality shows. I am. All those shows make me feel the way I felt about pro wrestling when I was about 12...... When they've tried to convince you that it's real- then get busted out that its fake.... It's just not as good after you know.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've watched all of ChicagoRon's video's (hey when the ground is frozen in Michigan, you have to do something!) and he and Mark aren't usually like that in their home video's. For the most part Ron and Mark work hard, find some good stuff and congratulate eachother. They return rings, they make video's showing techniques for less experienced detectorists. They only prankish or jovial stuff I have seen them do is they have a gold competition each year, and loser has to buy the other a steak dinner. Cigars after a day of detecting. And throwing a squishy ball at eachother when they get a gold coin in England. Not too over the top. I'm guessing the producers have asked them to go over the top. Check out his blog regarding the "Reality of Reality TV"
Chicago Ron | The Detecting World

+1

I'm glad you posted that Talon! I was just going to post about Ron's blog, as I was just reading it myself, on which he address's some of the issue's and the realities of filming the show that are beyond the control of the detectorists. I enjoy the show even if the sound bites are not perfect for the detectors and prop*ointers and Ron mentions on his blog that he and the other detectorists are aware of it and hopefully the show will address the issues. The show is for entertainment, I'm all for having a show on metal detecting as I enjoy watching them, and hopefully the folks being filmed will have enough input to get the producers to do it the right way! As far as the "war" part, in my opinion it is just to add a bit of suspense. I hope the show continues and improves over time.

Here is a quote from Ron's blog, hopefully he will not mind my using it here so that others will see it as well, and thanks for posting the link to it Talon!

"The first 2 episodes of Dig Wars aired last Wednesday at 9pm CDT on the Travel Channel. Over 100 people were in attendance at the premier party, and the response was awesome! There has been a huge response to the show through email and social media, and the overwhelming majority so far has been very good. However, there will always be some who are not happy no matter what you do!

The cast of Dig Wars are all concerned with showing the real side of detecting. The truth is, we were not chosen to do a show on metal detecting instruction or ethics. We were chosen because we are each good at what we do, and we have personality. We also happen to abide by the rules that govern this hobby…which is good for the hobby.

Contained in the 100′s of hours of video shot for the first 6 episodes, we all talked about getting permission, covering holes, removing trash and all the other rules that apply. Once done with filming we had no input on editing or content. The editors, in their discretion, may have used a few too many over the top clips, but they did show us covering our holes, and land owners giving us special invitation to hunt their private property. Episodes are only 21 minutes long, they simply can’t cover all the rules, or even all the good finds we made, let alone all the garbage. Yes, there was garbage!

My hope is that people interested in detecting will look up Dig Wars and find my website chicagoron.com where they will get useful and helpful information about detecting the proper way. If the show is picked up, the editors may include more of the helpful / informative stuff in each new episode.

We are very proud of the show, aside from some editing and sound mix ups which hopefully will be addressed. I think the first 2 episodes were fun, shared some history of the sites and relics, and showed our passion for the hobby.

Stay tuned, and keep swinging."

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what part of the DISC knob incident was more embarrassing: The fact that the prank was done or that Abbey had to have her husband fix her settings? I gave the show another chance partly because a long time member here claimed how experienced Abbey was with a detector. Sorry but I had to turn it off after that and won't be turning it back on.

So I finally watched this episode, I can't believe you guys got your drawers in a twist over this. It's not like they messed up her disc and snuck away, they sat and waited for her reaction so that she could see they did it. No different than when one of my coworkers walks out of the room and I steal her pudding cup and hide it in my lunch box. I'm not going to eat it, I just want to see if she notices and how she reacts, then I give it back. This was a harmless prank and most likely these guys have all gotten pretty friendly with each other on the show. It also looked very staged like Abby was in on it the whole time. I think we should all lighten up and be happy for some of our members that have made it from youtube to the TV.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol im happy theres a show on period that has something to do with our hobby Ive watched all so far seen all the others to & like em not gonna lie Beats other crap on tv & I get to c other machines in action to & different sites

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing that I think.is funny many get upset when these guys do a stupid dance or make up words guarrantee alot more people do it then is said

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at it statistically, it shows what I believe to be true. In all the different environments they are detecting in, some detectors did not perform well in all situations. Also choosing a good spot, and getting over a target is most important. I try to take away something from these more experienced md'rs. I enjoy this show and find the Chicago Boys very entertaining, if anything they could up their antics as far as Im concerned. Its about having fun too. This is not every ones cup of tea, but its a good post to open a conversation.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at it statistically, it shows what I believe to be true. In all the different environments they are detecting in, some detectors did not perform well in all situations. Also choosing a good spot, and getting over a target is most important. I try to take away something from these more experienced md'rs. I enjoy this show and find the Chicago Boys very entertaining, if anything they could up their antics as far as Im concerned. Its about having fun too. This is not every ones cup of tea, but its a good post to open a conversation.

Exactly casca & thats y I watch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread