More Dig Wars Embarrassments from the Chicago Guys

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuned into Dig Wars tonight. These guys from Chicago are really very annoying and immature, from Chicago Ron's partner blowing a kiss to him after a find, to both of them throwing pennies at their competition to throw them off, to what got me the most frustrated which was turning down Abby's discrimination knob to thrown her off. I suppose there is some redemption in the fact that they have not won a competition yet and by earning a whopping total of one cent tonight. I held off saying anything to this point because I was hoping these things were just fluke behaviors but it is clear now that it is a pattern. If this show gets renewed and the Chicago guys are still on it and actually read this, I hope they will behave more maturely going forwards. It's not funny and it's not working. We have enough stereotypes from the public. All this stuff does is feed into it any negativity that may be out there for the casual person flipping through the channel. I'll take BOOM BABY any day over this stuff. Sheesh.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I know there is staging involved. I just think what I mentioned above is coming off very poorly.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better watch urself I made a comment about the married couple being annoying and a few people flipped out.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'd rather watch Deep Digger Dan.....Go on... Get in!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, no insults towards any member of TreasureNet.

A member of TN is a member of TreasureNet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuned into Dig Wars tonight. These guys from Chicago are really very annoying and immature, from Chicago Ron's partner blowing a kiss to him after a find, to both of them throwing pennies at their competition to throw them off, to what got me the most frustrated which was turning down Abby's discrimination knob to thrown her off. I suppose there is some redemption in the fact that they have not won a competition yet and by earning a whopping total of one cent tonight. I held off saying anything to this point because I was hoping these things were just fluke behaviors but it is clear now that it is a pattern. If this show gets renewed and the Chicago guys are still on it and actually read this, I hope they will behave more maturely going forwards. It's not funny and it's not working. We have enough stereotypes from the public. All this stuff does is feed into it any negativity that may be out there for the casual person flipping through the channel. I'll take BOOM BABY any day over this stuff. Sheesh.

Assuming by your comments you realize all the episodes are all ready taped, so the chance of them changing anything during this season probably wont happen. As far as the Chicago Guys not winning any of the competitions I guess I would have to ask "How many times do you win your own" Do you find great, fantastic, historical relics or coins on every one of your hunts? Do you know the Chicago Guys other than what you have watched on the show. Do a little research and I think you will find they are dedicated, experienced and proven. As far as the joking around on the show I'm guessing this is by way of the producers and definitely not any of the contestants. You are entitled to your opinion as am I mine. Your comment "I'll take BOOM BABY any day over this stuff" gives me some insight into who you are and your experience in this hobby. You might want to consider this as well. Check out Ron's Home page and be sure to watch some of his vid's, I think you will enjoy them. HH Hunter Home Page

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So what part of the DISC knob incident was more embarrassing: The fact that the prank was done or that Abbey had to have her husband fix her settings? I gave the show another chance partly because a long time member here claimed how experienced Abbey was with a detector. Sorry but I had to turn it off after that and won't be turning it back on.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not trying to win any competitions and am not on a national television show representing the hobby. I'm just keeping it real in telling you what I think. I don't know the Chicago guys other than what I've seen, so all I am speaking of is the context of the show. Not saying they may not have good youtube videos (I saw one of Ron's vids on metal detecting tips and it was so so) but the show is another thing entirely. If I was on the show, no producer is going to force me to throw pennies at another detectorist or to mess with someone else's machine, so I don't buy that as an excuse. I'm not saying BOOM BABY can't get annoying sometimes but at least I learn a heck of alot more about history and the relics Ric Savage finds than what I do on this show. And lastly, I'm not procaliming to be some kind of expert. I am new to the hobby but perhaps that is something you should consider as well because if it is coming across badly to me it is likely coming across badly to others who may consider joining the hobby but then say no when they see people behaving like this.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She left her detecor lay & both her & her Husband walked out of sight ?

No :( Didn't Happen :tongue3:

I am guessing they were both out of Camera view watching, and that he never physically touched the knobs on the machine, since it wasn't his to mess with.
(unless of course they said it was ok in advance)
and that they just pretended he turned them and let editing add some noise to the tape.
it has already been said, Production wants arguments & in-fighting.

Please note these are all good People on this show,
and tv is created for entertainment. You will not see them
embarrassing us as a Whole like Boom Baby does,
So please respect them :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they don't have this kind of infighting on Diggers (although they do have those silly competitions at the end and people running up trees when they find a coin) and there was only one Savage Diggers show showing him in an argument with his son (which resolved by the end of the show). I am not getting how anything Savage is doing is worse than what I've seen on Dig Wars. I'm sure he is a good guy too but he regularly gets bashed here. I think his show is far more educational and better than the other two combined.

kfetters

May 27, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Long answer; I haven't watched it yet. I was turned off by the name alone. Wars? Someone didn't think there was enough of that on tv. I hoped they'd get more creative.
I've been loving the private you tube channels. Deep digger Dan, nuggitnoggin, beau, those guys are great. I've watched a few of Chicago Rons vids. Not my fav but still good. Didn't know he was on it.
I'm sure everyone on the show has a script of some sort though that's out of their control. And editing is even further from them. Stick with you tube where a fellow detector peep controls it start to finish, not an ad exec.

Short answer; can't watch, detecting ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But they don't have this kind of infighting on Diggers (although they do have those silly competitions at the end and people running up trees when they find a coin) and there was only one Savage Diggers show showing him in an argument with his son (which resolved by the end of the show). I am not getting how anything Savage is doing is worse than what I've seen on Dig Wars. I'm sure he is a good guy too but he regularly gets bashed here. I think his show is far more educational and better than the other two combined.

I personally Disagree and Believe Boom Baby is on a personal agenda to destroy the hobby.
in-fighting isn't necessary on there because they are not finding artifacts.
They are Pretending to find treasures in near mint condition and selling them for
exaggerated prices. I could let it go, IF they clearly advised the audience that it is
pure Fiction, But there are too many people out there willing to Believe it & too many Archies
who even though they know better, Feed off it for their own agenda against us.

Diggers show ? give it time. the producers steal ideas from each other.
Don't be surprised if Diggers lasts 2 more seasons, They end up having to
mess with each other also.

dakotagrappler

Jan 18, 2013
Just be happy there is any show on that deals with detecting or prospecting. I watched Tom Massey for years and Gold Fever was the only one on TV. Not all episodes are great in all these shows, but if we bash them all we won't have any. Add suggestions in a positive manner, maybe how to make it better then just bash... Ideas make changes complaints produce only anger!

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very happy that these three shows are on which I why I still watch them despite some of the problems. I'm not trying to bash the shows, but just trying to put forward some constructive criticism to improve one specific aspect I found troubling one one specific show. Even if I learn just one thing from these shows I consider it worthwhile. However, what I saw last night just got me upset, which is why I posted how I felt.

OP
OP
cusedpjd

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, here is something positive: Beau Ouimette's videos are awesome. Love watching that guy.

dakotagrappler

Jan 18, 2013
I will watch... Youtube videos are becoming pretty big....

I understand what you have been saying, but if you read other topics about the previous shows they just continue to bash. I would love more constructive comments that are productive.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Who needs tv when you got TN Guide'? :laughing7:

Ya'll say they messed with another detectors machine, changed discrim, messed her up for a while...... wut?

My motto is: YOU TOUCH MY FLUFFY, THE FUR'S GONNA FLY! :tongue3:

(fluffy is the name of my Excal. :laughing7:)

and throwing pennies? how childish. yeah, I wanna have friends that sabotage all my hard efforts, those are the types folks, everyone should have around, (they're usually family).:BangHead::laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread