My MXT drowned, what to get next. Garret AT pro?

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, my over 10 year old mxt does not like to drowned in salt water. :BangHead: Clip_11.jpg

Should i repair it ???

Or should i go with a new one ???
Any one know about the at pro one. one good thing is its water proof. :headbang:

Clip_15.jpg

Upvote 0

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It depends on your actions after submersing the detector in salt water. Did you immediately remove the batteries and flush the detector with fresh water? Did you then dry it with a hair dryer? If so, it may well be salvageable. If, on the other hand, you let it sit for any length of time, it's probably toast, and you would be better off shopping for a water proof unit.

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a At pro i love it in saltwater use freq 4 with your sensitivity4 notches down from max. good luck with your other machine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id probly first send it to whites to c if it really is a gonner first

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on your actions after submersing the detector in salt water. Did you immediately remove the batteries and flush the detector with fresh water? Did you then dry it with a hair dryer? If so, it may well be salvageable. If, on the other hand, you let it sit for any length of time, it's probably toast, and you would be better off shopping for a water proof unit.

I would like to get it fixed, I took it home right away and took it apart and sprayed it with contact cleaner, it is very clean inside. it could be just the plug in, i didnt take the plug out. it was off when it got wet and i took out the batteries right away.
I'll try find a whites dealer near me in B.C.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If its not much just a quick overhaul could b worth it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you haven't actually fired it up after the incident? I'd dry it out and give it a try. What have you got to lose?

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cell phone was only in the ocean about three seconds, removed battery rinsed and dried, = FRIED! Guy told me that any thing electric that was exposed to salt water is a goner.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if u do hunt water & land water once in a while & favor land then yes in ur initial first post id say the Atpro would b perfect then ud not have to worry about dropping the machine in any water or running to ur car if it starts to rain or lol if ur in the Woods & come across a Pond. Lake etc go for it its the benefit of a true all terrain detector

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you haven't actually fired it up after the incident? I'd dry it out and give it a try. What have you got to lose?
i have tried it and all it does is buzz for a second the die. it needs to be overhalld regardless.
I do like the idea of getting a new water proof detector :laughing7:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There r plenty of even used Atpro's out there fairly cheap & then u wouldnt have no worries I like the idea is if im in the Woods relic huntin & its hot out I come across a creek, Pond etc I go for it nothing to change no need for another detector cuz like I said I stumbled across it wasnt looking & certainly not goin to carry 2 machines around wish i could, its just one of the many that makes the pro a great detector & I dought itll ever leave my arsensl. Another idea if u do find ur done with the mxt strip it some most parts r still good mayb mayb thr coil, rods r good the Box itself is good mayb it can help parting it out to pay for another machine any little bit helps

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You really didn't mention what types of usage you intend to use a detector for. If water or beach is the main usage, I would go for a PI that is fast and goes deep. I use an old Whites Surfmaster PI. I suggest you look at the new version. They do well on coins and rings and even fine gold chains. Frank...

gold cross chain.jpg

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True it wasnt mentioned I just figured myself to throw out the idea if the pro figuring the hunting thats already been done using a mxt ya know then u just get that added benefit of id u do wanna just go in the water u can, but I also agree that if water is ur main thing u like to do yes there r many good machines a dedicated water machine would work well

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIXED?

I took my detector, i packed it in a box and sent it to whites. I will admit, it looked a little rough, black tape and gum hold it together, wires and old switches hanging out. Dents and the coil hanging from a string. 2 weeks later i got a call , she said, we fixed it. A little concerned about the price, i asked, whats the damage, she laughed. do you mean to the detector or your wallet. With shipping $140. I paid the $140 bill and thought , waa hoo. I went hunting in the mountains for 2 weeks without my trusty mxt for the first time in 10 years. When i got back there was a box from whites waiting for me. I was shocked when i opened it. They did not fix it at all, no gum no dents no wires , no tape. Clearly all they did was take a new one off the shelf and put it in the box and send it off. waahoo I have a lead on a bag of gold coins that a family has searched for for 70 years and some gold nuggets to look for. Wish me luck?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my detector, i packed it in a box and sent it to whites. I will admit, it looked a little rough, black tape and gum hold it together, wires and old switches hanging out. Dents and the coil hanging from a string. 2 weeks later i got a call , she said, we fixed it. A little concerned about the price, i asked, whats the damage, she laughed. do you mean to the detector or your wallet. With shipping $140. I paid the $140 bill and thought , waa hoo. I went hunting in the mountains for 2 weeks without my trusty mxt for the first time in 10 years. When i got back there was a box from whites waiting for me. I was shocked when i opened it. They did not fix it at all, no gum no dents no wires , no tape. Clearly all they did was take a new one off the shelf and put it in the box and send it off. waahoo I have a lead on a bag of gold coins that a family has searched for for 70 years and some gold nuggets to look for. Wish me luck?

Now that's what I call Customer Service ... CONGRATS!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's has great customer service, second only to Tesoro.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with your gut, Sandman knows what is good for saltwater or contact Bart at big boys hobbies

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
I would like to get it fixed, I took it home right away and took it apart and sprayed it with contact cleaner, it is very clean inside. it could be just the plug in, i didnt take the plug out. it was off when it got wet and i took out the batteries right away.
I'll try find a whites dealer near me in B.C.
i would send to Whites. They have excellent customer service. I would be surprised if they couldn't fix it and if you like your MXT as much as I do, you will be pleased in the end

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro
whites has excellent customer service and I think their detectors are built solidly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread