making an affordable upgrade need opinions

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the bug has bitten me and I no longer can resist the urge to dig. My current detector is an older model of the bounty hunter fast tracker the one with the cowboy on the front "treasure finder". I have dug into the mass amounts of information online and think I have made the decision to go with the fisher f2 package that comes with a 4" coil and pinpointer along with the 8" coil that normaly comes with it. My question is, is it really a solid upgrade or should I look elsewhere. The bounty hunter has treated me well but is wearing me out with reading rusty iron on high tones and and leading me to dig 10,000 hole for about 2 dollars in clad. How sturdy is the f2 I want to hunt in places that are going to be a good hour hike into the forest and wouldn't mind detecting some shallow creek beds near some old home steads. I can't afford anymore than say $225 on a students wages lol. Any info you guys and gals got would truly be appreciated.

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now the soon to be proud owner of a new fisher f2 AND the used xlt. Wife read the posts here, and also got a deal I couldn't pass up. She decided it would be nice to have 2 decent machines for when she wanted to hunt with me so BIG bonus my best friend is gonna be my metal detecting buddy out of all of this. Thank you everybody for the tips its nice to see reviews from real people vs a couple stars buy an ad. I am more excited now than ever!

Yup its pretty cool huh my wife ended up jackin my Atpro from me when I got the v3i who knows whats gonna happen when the deus comes in

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!! Win- win situation right there brother! Congrats to the both of you and best of luck with your digging adventures!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, he won't steer you wrong. Whatever you buy just learn it well and it will treat you well.

OP
OP
fishguy

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update have had the f2 for a couple weeks had a scare thinking I got a lemon (dont detect under power lines) but it works very well a few ghost signals but you get the hang of the sounds pretty quickly. Very easy to use, it LOVES coins found 17.35 since I have had it in clad at parks and in my yard. Nailed a 1866 corroded indian cent about 6 inches in my yard that I have been over and over again with 2 different bounty hunters (VLF,fast tracker). Still don't understand the difference in the two coils maybe because it is so trashy here for even the 4" coil. I can't run in all metal near the house, i think somebody rented a wood chipper and fed it nails and mason jar lids all over my neighborhood. All and All it is worth the money, and have confidence that I am not missing nearly as much as I was with my past detector. Probably be upgrading again by November as my wife has her eye on my F2 and the xlt was a piece of junk(broken coil and wires, busted screen) no I didn't end up buying it but the person knew I wasnt happy after a 2hr drive just to see that. BTW this f2 can grab a zinc canning lid about 45 feet in the ground lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread