making an affordable upgrade need opinions

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the bug has bitten me and I no longer can resist the urge to dig. My current detector is an older model of the bounty hunter fast tracker the one with the cowboy on the front "treasure finder". I have dug into the mass amounts of information online and think I have made the decision to go with the fisher f2 package that comes with a 4" coil and pinpointer along with the 8" coil that normaly comes with it. My question is, is it really a solid upgrade or should I look elsewhere. The bounty hunter has treated me well but is wearing me out with reading rusty iron on high tones and and leading me to dig 10,000 hole for about 2 dollars in clad. How sturdy is the f2 I want to hunt in places that are going to be a good hour hike into the forest and wouldn't mind detecting some shallow creek beds near some old home steads. I can't afford anymore than say $225 on a students wages lol. Any info you guys and gals got would truly be appreciated.

Upvote 0

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I think that the best performance in that price range will be a Tesoro machine.

Everyone has their opinion, as you are about to find out.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most detectors you find will read really rusty iron as a high tone. If it was me, I would upgrade a little further than that. I feel that you won't be picking too much more up. It's your choice, though.

OP
OP
fishguy

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found an white's xlt for sale in my range used of course, but after watching a few videos it seems a little overwhelming to a new guy like me so I think I will pass. Hey beerguy which tesoro do you recommend, I looked up the comapadre which has really great reviews but seems you get more bang for your buck with the fisher. I will only hunt the beach once or twice a decade when I go on vacation lol, and stick to dry sand for now. Most of my hunting will be at older homesites from the mid 1800's our pa posters I'm sure know which I'm talking about. My old hunting grounds I would find foundations and wells miles back into the woods and curiousity is getting the best of me.

OP
OP
fishguy

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vpnavy I have already contacted 3 of the vendors listed there, and will be sure to support them for supporting us.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck with ur search for a new machine just remember u r goin to be the one using it none of us and what works for 1 may not work for another HH

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found an white's xlt for sale in my range used of course, but after watching a few videos it seems a little overwhelming to a new guy like me so I think I will pass. Hey beerguy which tesoro do you recommend, I looked up the comapadre which has really great reviews but seems you get more bang for your buck with the fisher. I will only hunt the beach once or twice a decade when I go on vacation lol, and stick to dry sand for now. Most of my hunting will be at older homesites from the mid 1800's our pa posters I'm sure know which I'm talking about. My old hunting grounds I would find foundations and wells miles back into the woods and curiousity is getting the best of me.

Silver uMax for price range. Cibola even better. Vaquero next.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoros are said to be the deepest for the money. I have no experience with one, but everyone who has one seems to love it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that XLT! It's a very easy machine to learn and you'll find it's better than any of the others that have been recommended.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Fishguy, if going Tesoro I would try and get one with pinpoint. I think the Cibola is the starting unit with that feature. I have a Cutlass II uMax, it is sensitive enough but seems to like iron and does not have pinpoint.

My XLT loves foil, so there seems to always be a tradeoff.

I just picked up an MXT Pro, and I am pleasantly suprised. Super fast response compared to my XLT. I can't wait to play with it.

I may have to sell my XLT, because I am going to have a problem with giving the MXT to my wife.....

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
I agree. It is so adjustable, and they are pretty affordable on the used market.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Silver Umax from a forum vendor should be within your price range. Google it and read about it. Great detector with a lifetime warranty.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishguy, if going Tesoro I would try and get one with pinpoint. I think the Cibola is the starting unit with that feature. I have a Cutlass II uMax, it is sensitive enough but seems to like iron and does not have pinpoint.

My XLT loves foil, so there seems to always be a tradeoff.

I just picked up an MXT Pro, and I am pleasantly suprised. Super fast response compared to my XLT. I can't wait to play with it.

I may have to sell my XLT, because I am going to have a problem with giving the MXT to my wife.....

Haha I was using my Atpro for a bit & decided I wanted more in the lines of customizing things so went with the v3i soon as that came in wife jacked the Atpro I wanted to just give her my prism4 to start but she looked at the 2 together & was not having that good luck mxt is a great machine awesome for relic hunting to

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher F2 package is a good setup - Target ID, depth, pinpoint and notch discrimination in a lightweight package. For less than $20 over the standard F2, you get the sniper 4" coil and a Fisher F Pointer.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bleep deal to me lol

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F2 is excellent for the price, if you can afford something with ground balance you should try to score that though. The MXT would be awesome, probably would hold over your need for yet another upgrade for quite a while.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F2 is excellent for the price, if you can afford something with ground balance you should try to score that though. The MXT would be awesome, probably would hold over your need for yet another upgrade for quite a while.

Absolutley rotzorns right with a little research could find a high quality detector cheap if u go used Ive gotten used bfor with no problems at all uv seen mxt's around $350 & up mayb a couple bux cheaper but ull have to really look & it would probly b a normal mxt not the pro just remember there r people out there WHO think that hey this is a $1,000 or this is a $2,500 detector I can find gold & treasure soon as i turn it on they find out its not the case then its either in the closet or online forsale just gotta learn what u get its alot of fun can get expensive I know that first hand lol but its fun so good luck & hh

OP
OP
fishguy

fishguy

Jun 20, 2013
Little River, SC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now the soon to be proud owner of a new fisher f2 AND the used xlt. Wife read the posts here, and also got a deal I couldn't pass up. She decided it would be nice to have 2 decent machines for when she wanted to hunt with me so BIG bonus my best friend is gonna be my metal detecting buddy out of all of this. Thank you everybody for the tips its nice to see reviews from real people vs a couple stars buy an ad. I am more excited now than ever!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread