This morning hunt...2nd Gold

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So again i tried detecting the freshwater beach and again it was a bust. The park rangers informed me that due to high water from the week of rain the beach was closed. Apparently the parking lot was under water. Damn.

I decided to hit my favorite park knowing the weekend prior was the local community days. Started around the tot lot and ballfield again. Thought i got most of it on my last several hunts...wrong.

The 10k ring was barely down an inch around the tot lot due to the weed barrier they put down several years ago. I don't like cutting through it, but again recent drops can get through either. For those with ATPros, it came in at a very constant 51. Thanks for reading.

Jay

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130629_111831.png
    ForumRunner_20130629_111831.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So again i tried detecting the freshwater beach and again it was a bust. The park rangers informed me that due to high water from the week of rain the beach was closed. Apparently the parking lot was under water. Damn.

I decided to hit my favorite park knowing the weekend prior was the local community days. Started around the tot lot and ballfield again. Thought i got most of it on my last several hunts...wrong.

The 10k ring was barely down an inch around the tot lot due to the weed barrier they put down several years ago. I don't like cutting through it, but again recent drops can get through either. For those with ATPros, it came in at a very constant 51. Thanks for reading.

Jay

Congrats!

That's an unusual number for a gold ring. I would expect a nickel at that number.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!

That's an unusual number for a gold ring. I would expect a nickel at that number.

That's what i thought it was except that it locked on at 51. Nickels usually bounce 51-53 in my neck of the woods.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey even though u didnt get the spot u wanted still got a nice haul

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what i thought it was except that it locked on at 51. Nickels usually bounce 51-53 in my neck of the woods.
Ive found gold rings with my AT that read from 42 up to 76.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive found gold rings with my AT that read from 42 up to 76.

I've heard about that. Although, i hate digging below 45. I mean, i dig enough pulltabs as is, i'd hate to dig all the foil too. LoL

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True but alot of gold is in those foil ranges

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard about that. Although, i hate digging below 45. I mean, i dig enough pulltabs as is, i'd hate to dig all the foil too. LoL
One of my first finds with my AT pro was a 5 gram 14k cross that reads a solid 42...I was in the water so I was digging everything...there are times when Im hunting on land and there is just too many foil targets for me to dig them all, I know Im missing some good targets, but how many good targets would I be missing by spending all my time digging foil?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a question that there is no truth to no way to tell with out diggin it I mean dog twenty holes skip 1 might b junk in 20 & that 1, u skipped could have had something crazy in it u cant c in the ground just chance

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, lookindown, that i could be missing good targets, but i think location influences whether i dig an iffy low hit. For instance, my favorite park is notoriously trashy, so if i get a good repeatable hit in a section thats relatively clean , i'm digging. If in a section thats peppered with trash, i concentrate on repeatables 45+

A beach and water, i'll dig just about anything

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, lookindown, that i could be missing good targets, but i think location influences whether i dig an iffy low hit. For instance, my favorite park is notoriously trashy, so if i get a good repeatable hit in a section thats relatively clean , i'm digging. If in a section thats peppered with trash, i concentrate on repeatables 45+

A beach and water, i'll dig just about anything
I do the same thing, I was trying to say that if a place has too many foil signals I wont dig them all.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do the same thing, I was trying to say that if a place has too many foil signals I wont dig them all.

My apologies, i misunderstood. That being said, is there any "foil" reading that should not be ignored? Like if it's low, say low 40's on the AT Pro, but consistent with little deviation, is that enough information to warrant digging?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies, i misunderstood. That being said, is there any "foil" reading that should not be ignored? Like if it's low, say low 40's on the AT Pro, but consistent with little deviation, is that enough information to warrant digging?
The lowest number Ive got on gold is 38 and that was a hollow .05 gram earring, Ive found several earrings weighing less than 1 gram that read between 38 and 42. Those were all in the water where I dig everything.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hit 24 25 on a 10k plane ring band

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive hit 24 25 on a 10k plane ring band
Did it air test at 25? That's the lowest Ive heard of gold reading on the AT. Maybe it was pated?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes air test no not plated just a,small mayb size 5 or so 10k gold band

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a small gold ring a few weeks ago with the F5. It was either a child's ring or a ladies toe ring ( I'm told they were popular a few years back?) I don't know. But it was 10k if I remember correctly and rang in in the 28-30 range, that part I do remember for sure.

I know you guys were talking about the ATP, but 25-35 is the nickel/ foil/tab range on the F5 too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread