NCHunter

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here :)

Hello everyone this is my first time posting here. I have been looking around the forum for a while and finally decided to go out and get a metal detector yesterday. I am only 18 so I was on kind of a budget so I hope you guys can tell me if I got a good deal for this:
It's a Garrett gti 1500 with two coils and headphones I got for $250. If anyone could tell me anything about the detector or how to use it, and if I got a good price?
photo.JPG

I know a lot of you guys out there are a little older and more experienced but I am really initerested in this hobby because of the history. I just would like someone to tell me or show me how I can get started. I really want to learn this so if someone also had any suggestions on how to start I would really appreciate it :). Also I'm near the Charlotte area of NC if that could help.

It's good to be here on TreasureNet! :)

Upvote 0

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a lot of you tube videos recently. Right on the Garrett site there are numerous videos on how to. Joining a local club is another good way of learning as most are more than happy to help someone get started.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet, NCHunter. I'm not familiar with the GTI series, but you won't know until you read up on how to use it. I'd recommend finding a users manual online if available or contact the manufacturer for one. Learn everything about the machine and practice in your yard. This will give you experience with the MD and also on how to cut nice plugs that won't damage the grass.

Secondly, there are subforums here that are broken down by state. Perhaps you can hook up with some one close to your location. Lastly, maybe try finding a detecting club close to you as well.

The people here at TNet are very experienced and knowledgeable and will be able to answer any questions you may have. HH

Jay

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first u came to the right site for help & questions etc, theres alot of people here willing to help which is great. Ok so the detector u picked up $250 ya id say not a bad price probly better then if average machine in that price range now for other things to get ull need a decent digger learn how to cut plugs that way when u get to someones property if given permission there grasa wont die. Another ur on the right track garrets vids r very helpful watch as many as u can along with youtube vids definetly read ur manual alot the more u understand ur machine more productive ur gonna b. Also ur gonna want a good pinpointer itll cut ur time down alot in locating ur target garret's is awesome but any is better then none. Next also check into different coils pending on what ur hunting small ones r better for trashy áreas larger will cover more área & go deeper i could go on & on but dont wanna overwhelm u all at once if there is anything ur still wondering dont hesitate better to ask then not know good luck & welcome to the site

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Welcome, NC Hunter. I think you have a fine machine to start out with as well as living in a great spot. Your motivation is also key, MDing is great for connecting to history.
chritso nailed it by adding that you do need some proper recovery tools and techniques to learn, but you should be good to go in no time.

Let's see some great finds!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Welcome to the addiction. The rules here are quite simple: You pay me 20% of all your finds. Easy! :hello2:

mark1427

Apr 16, 2013
Southampton Co. Va.
Detector(s) used
ACE 350, Garret pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, there is a wealth of info in the forums to search and from the members here. Don't expect every dig to be something of value and you won't be disappointed. Have fun!!!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
I noticed that this is your very first post - so, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
NCHunter

NCHunter

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for all the help. I am glad to be here and I hope to really get some experience here. I'll be reading manuals and watching videos like some of you suggested. Thank you also for directing me to the sub-forum I'll be checking out that right now!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're gonna love this stuff man! Welcome aboard!

If you didn't get a manual, you can find a downloadable one on the net more than likely. You may be able to call up Garrett and get them to mail you one also?!?

Hit up YouTube and keep reading this site and you'll learn a lot.

Some of the members here are pretty dang sharp- Tom in Ca, frank n, and Christo (just to name a few) should all co-author the "metal detecting encyclopedia". They are full of great info all the way around- etiquette, tech, laws, etc. There's a lot to learn here, so welcome and jump in bro!

Orvin

Jun 5, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome NC Hunter from the state of Virginia I'm new to the hobby as well wishing you tons of luck

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET !! I joined the website 2-3 months ago and love it. I've been detecting about 7-8 years, I still no expert though. My advice is to read up on coin collecting or start collecting coins. Coin collecting is what got me interested in metal detecting. All my buddies call me a old man for coin collecting, I'm 33, but its fun and there is a lot of history behind each coin. What keeps me so addicted to MD is the thrill of funding a awesome coin and researching the history of a area Im going to hunt at. Hope you keep at it and just remember your not gonna strike gold every time you go hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions