New xterra 705

wells78

Jul 3, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a few months of research and going back and forth, I finally bought a 705. Picked it up from Bart at Big Boy's Hobbies. I ordered it in the morning and it was on my doorstep the next afternoon. Great guy to deal with. Minelab has a special right now where you get a free pro finder, so that was a very nice bonus!

Took it out to a local forest preserve and hunted for a few hours. This is my first metal detector, so I'm learning all the features/settings and how they react to different targets. I dug a lot of trash-pull tabs, aluminum cans, bottle caps and foil, but also dug a handful of clad coins. This is how I had my settings:

-coin/treasure mode

-disc pattern 4

-auto noise cancel

-auto ground balance

-threshold barely audible

-sensitivity - anywhere from 12-15

-audio - 30

If anyone has any suggestions in using the 705, please feel free to chime in. Bart recommended to decrease the sensitivity, as the machine seemed to jump around on a lot of targets in the really trashy areas. Can't wait to get out there again!!

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I run mine in all metal mode and run the sensitivity at around 22.
There is a good ebook Understanding Your X-terra by Randy Horton on Minelab's website in the community tab.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better first detector i started out with lol learn it well and itll b ur best friend lol

OP
OP
W

wells78

Jul 3, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I downloaded that e book and am reading it now. I wanted to get the best detector I could afford -and what my wife could live with lol. With the free pro finder I think I made a good buy. Heading out in the morning!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I downloaded that e book and am reading it now. I wanted to get the best detector I could afford -and what my wife could live with lol. With the free pro finder I think I made a good buy. Heading out in the morning!!!

U did & ull have lots of finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread