Multiple frequencys is more better?

W

WEIM

My question is, if the DFX uses 2 freq. and the Exp SE uses 28 freq. to determine data, wouldn't
it be hands down that the Exp SE would have the most reliable data? Or is it the electronics in the
detector that counts? I'm leaning towards the Exp SE, but people are also swearing by the DFX. And
last, they cost about the same. Am I missing something?

Billy

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiple better for what ?
In Europe where stuff tends to be more valuable and much deeper as it could be a loss made 2000 or 2500 years ago single frequency with minimum discrimination rules the roost.
With multiple frequencies you have to consider the downside of the machine being slow in use, not such a fast target response etc then how many of the frequencies are being used ?
Even the DFX rarely gets used on land over here in one of its twin frequency modes. On the beach fine, if you haven't got a P.I. (with 90+ frequencies) then you need more than one frequency to overcome the wet salt effect. On land its a different matter.

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
Actually I sell the DFX for a lot less than the SE. The DFX actually has 16 frequencies or harmonics. More may be better but the jury is still out on that. Overall after having used the DFX and Explorers extensively I think the DFX is easier to use but the SE is the deeper detector in the long run. let me know if I can help you in your purchase decision. 8)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I'll say on this is I will NEVER go back to single Frequency

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: AWwwwwww Cmon' Jeff

Boog said:
jeff of pa said:
All I'll say on this is I will NEVER go back to single Frequency
Not even for a lil' bit ??? :D
;D
;D 8)
::)
Argahahahahahahahahahhhh :-\

I have considered Nautilus, But the Single Freq. is what is
Holding me back.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the weight on the Nautilus thats the problem not the single frequency.
I've got Trog staying with me at the moment (four hoards, over a thousand Roman coins). Explorer, DFX, T2, XP and a few others. He sold the Explorer some weeks back and the DFX is going on E-Bay in the next few days.
He's moved from good ground to bad so the machines have to change but you would think from the advertising that he would need more frequencies rather than less.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think in some ways we have more problems. I've been busy buying up excellent condition older non motion machines for the last few years for their ability to avoid bottle caps, see through nails etc. There's normally a price to pay in weight, battery consumption or a need for regular retuning but they still can deliver the goods on many difficult sites where the newer designs struggle.
Seems at some point the baby got thrown out with the bath water.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
WEIM said:
My question is, if the DFX uses 2 freq. and the Exp SE uses 28 freq. to determine data, wouldn't
it be hands down that the Exp SE would have the most reliable data? Or is it the electronics in the
detector that counts? I'm leaning towards the Exp SE, but people are also swearing by the DFX. And
last, they cost about the same. Am I missing something?

Billy

Yes you are. Minelab marketing scores again. The issue is not how many frequencies a metal detector transmits- Heck my PI may transmit several hundred. The issue is how many frequencies are RECEIVED. How many frequencies does a EX 11 receive?- the answer is probably 2 or 3. Think about it. They advertise a lot of frequencies up to a 100KHz- If an explorer actually received 100KHz frequencies it would be more sensitive to small gold and metal than a Fisher Gold Bug which it obviously is not.

The Ex11 is a hell of a machine and it's reputation is richly deserved but marketing "hype" is just that. Go by the reputation of the machine and don't get overly involved in frequency wars.

P.S. I used an EX11 and that's what I would go with.
George

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab (yes I do have one) ran a series of ads with the picture of multifrequency going really deep, twin perhaps getting two thirds of that depth, and then the surface scratching single frequency detectors.
They were made to withdraw it.
George is right it not whats transmitted but what is received/processed. I think its three frequencies with the Explorer.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boog, What is it your holding in the picture? Looks like an Indian artifact.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be a place for single and multi frequency detectors depending on the location and operator skills. I like my Excal for the water, but it is not all the frequencies that I like as much as the Iron mask and the ability to pick up the gold ring under a large iron nail where another VLF would just null out the whole thing.

OP
OP
W

WEIM

Thank you for all the advice guys. I will go with the Explorer SE. There are a few gray areas in metal detecting that apparently can't be proven to be the absolute best.

Billy :)

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I think you will be quite happy with the Minelab,most seem to be. I just love the pic of your Weimar,I have a young boy who is almost a year old,his name is Mr.Stewart. He has a few shortcomings,snoring,farting,chewed up my hottub cover,chewed up the corner of my bed,my cedar chest,scratched the hell out of a lot of my doors. overall hes a really good boy though and a treasured member of the household,Gl with the Minelab and HH...Shoot

OP
OP
W

WEIM

Thanks Shootist, We have three (3) of them. My wife rescues them for Weimaraner Rescue of the South.
They gotta have their exercise !!!

Attachments

• 385.jpg
    385.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 205

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions