Going to beach hunt

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh ya beach hunt ur definetly goin to need a scoop there are a couple guys in the tech forums u might b able to ask how to they have made real nice ones good luck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're not going to do a lot of beach hunting, you can get a cheap hand scoop for around $20 on E-bay. If you can't squat down or need a long handled one, I've seen them in the $45 range on up. Unless you have a cheap source for the materials and good welding skills, it's hard to make one for that.

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i actually do know how to weld pretty good so that probably shouldnt be too much of a problem

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A hand scoop is more than adequate for a beach hunt. For about 20 bucks you can avoid the hassle of building one. And plastic doesn't set your detector off...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is hard plastic it would be OK, but the one I have is yellow and flexes in wet packed sand too much.

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When i first started I used a $3 kitty litter scoop! Found my first find with it and now I am hooked! If you are borrowing a MD I assume you are not looking for a major purchase.

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went to the store and got a hard plastic mug for $5 now I just need to drill some holes and I'm all set!! Yes I'll be buying my own detector soon though

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'm able to borrow a metal detector from a relative. And I'll be going to the beach for a few days for fishing. Won't be out hunting all day but I'd like to know if I should get a sand scoop and of anyone knows an easy way to make one.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but we don't have your kids to help us! Looks good for dry sand but I'm not so sure about the wet. It might be hard to get the " plug" of sand out. Interesting idea though and might make a good travel option as it's cheap, light, and can be taken apart for packing.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
You didn't mention what Beach you were going to. I now own a few scoops for Water detecting and dry sand. If you are in Good Shape and can bend down. I used to use a Sturdy 3 prong dirt claw digger in the dry sands back in the 80's. That rascal could get down deep in just a few strokes. Using a scoop or trowel can kill your wrist.

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to bodega beach in California

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow, I seem to remember something about those folks being kinda fussy about people hunting around there. You might want to contact Tom in CA about his opinion of hunting that beach. I'm pretty sure Drakes's bay is off-limits...at least in the water but I seem to remember reading something similar about Bodega bay also.....I'll try to find it.....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread