Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, today I made my best find to date; an Infantry Civil War button. The only problem is, I got a little excited and took a toothbrush with water to it, to get the dirt off. I didn't pick hard on the brush, but I didn't get the results I wanted. That's when I decided to come in here and see what others are doing, and that's when I realized I probably didn't do the right thing. So, my question is, is there any way I can continue cleaning it to bring out the maximum amount of detail, or is it to late?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say bfor u got the advice ur looking for id agree on mayb getting a Picture or 2 up, on the other note great find

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great site that was posted a while back that I use a lot. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/89045-how-clean-buttons.html

I usually use a soft brush to get the dirt off and a toothpick if it is really bad. You don't want to use a brush very hard as you can do more damage. If the button has some gilt to it you can put it in some lemon juice. On flat buttons all I use is a toothpick.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the button right after I dug it, if you need a picture of the current state of the button, I can upload that too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 132

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it does not have any gilt you have cleaned about the best you can do. I would leave the green patina. It is hard to tell if there is any gilt from the picture posted. Nice Eagle "I" button by the way.

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, it was only the second signal I dug from my new F-75. It was down about 7 inches. What is 'gilt'? Is it the gold stuff that's on a button? Thanks

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a thin gold coating. Very easy to come off something that's been buried for a while.

The Governor

Greenie
Jul 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Too many to list.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Regardless of an item, it's condition, or it's age; I'd highly recommend against any cleaning of anything beyond just soap and water. Sometimes you can get away with soaking it for a little bit, but that can also damage it's value. If someone is looking to buy a historic item and wants to feel the story behind it, they will prefer it to be dusty so to speak. If you're looking to keep all items you find, it's really up to you. If you destroy an item, you'll learn quickly, lol.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Governor, please stop making all posts in bold...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I think you can prevent users from using the bold in the vBulletin config.

It is reserved for special emphasis and occasional use like colors, so don't want to totally disallow, just not for standard every post.

Thank you for understanding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I find it easier to read myself........That's why I like big and red! Don't need my glasses that way. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
E

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't plan on ever selling the button, as it is the only true relic I have ever found, one with any value at least. I just wish there was a way to get all possible detail out of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread