Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone.

I've been using my e-trac for a couple of years now and have not strayed too far from the factory settings.

I've just obtained permission for a field that has been the site of an annual fair for over 500 years. it has never been detected on before and I started on it today. The problem is that I was getting hundreds of coin signals all over the field. I dug 25 coins within an area of 2 or 3 yards diameter. This field is absolutely loaded with probably thousands of coins.

The problem is 24 of the coins were modern coinage and I only found one silver coin of any age (1902 sixpence)

I intend to tackle this field over the next few months and what I would like to do initially is set my e-trac up to only find silver or gold coins and ignore bronze because I am sure that the modern coin signals are masking deeper coins and therefore older coins.

I would appreciate any advice on setting the machine up to achieve this.

Regards
Frank

Upvote 0

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure how to offer you help, but sounds like a great place to hunt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd dig them all on a site like that! Start with a small area and remove EVERY target and see what you come up with. If you leave surface coins, they'll mask the better ones underneath. That sounds like a coin hunters dream site!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After hunting the site a bit, you'll get used to what sounds and display numbers you get and their likely source. You can pick and choose which to dig at that point but with that history, just about anything can be found. Lots of jewelry might in the "iffy" zone, so I'd dig everything if it were me.

OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound advice guys, I guess I'm just impatient to get to the good stuff!

It is indeed a dream site. It is a field right in the middle of a very pretty rural English village that has been there for at least 1000 years. The land was granted as common ownership to the village dwellers hundreds of years ago and is administered by a committee of elderly retired people who are very traditional. It's taken me two years to negotiate access but I finally swung it (pardon the pun) when I got an Archaeologist friend of mine to vouch for me. I've had great fun today, showing finds to members of the committee who turned out to watch my initial survey! In the end we all went to the local pub for a few beers and I got lots of nods of approval when I put all of the current coins I found in a charity box there. They have welcomed me back any time so I'm really looking forward to my next visit.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you any help, with hunting or beer, just say the word! I'll be on a plane in no time at all! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Frankyg

Frankyg

Jan 20, 2013
Isle Of Anglesey
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
GTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough, the village had many GI's billeted there during World War 2 and many more were in camps nearby in the build up to D-Day. Quite a few of the genteel elderly ladies living there have a twinkle in their eyes when they reminisce about those days!! One elderly lady was telling me how she remembered the American soldiers giving her and the other village children chocolate as they marched past. They children had never tasted chocolate before because of the war and the strict food rationing at the time and they all used to gather in the village square and wait for the soldiers to come marching past. She said that after D-Day they all used to pray in Church on Sundays that the soldiers all got home to America safe.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
throw it away and get ya an at pro you'll find more

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree, grid out an area and dig it all to see whats really there, and i also use an at pro and an etrac, i can say that i find deeper targets with my etrac than the at pro, but i think it is the program and settings i use on the etrac, good luck hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough, the village had many GI's billeted there during World War 2 and many more were in camps nearby in the build up to D-Day. Quite a few of the genteel elderly ladies living there have a twinkle in their eyes when they reminisce about those days!! One elderly lady was telling me how she remembered the American soldiers giving her and the other village children chocolate as they marched past. They children had never tasted chocolate before because of the war and the strict food rationing at the time and they all used to gather in the village square and wait for the soldiers to come marching past. She said that after D-Day they all used to pray in Church on Sundays that the soldiers all got home to America safe.

Id say ur doin Fine alot of experts did alot of feild tests to get those settings to where they r so a little tweeking here & there ull do just Fine. And since u said ur the first it only makes sence to me that u would have to grid it out to clear layers of newer and as u clear & grid ull move further down goin to where those older coins are every year untouched is a layer of coin keep at it sounds like its a real good spot u got the good machine to do it just take ur time hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread