JoeSmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All

I've been asked to find a friend's gold ring using my Garrett Ace 250. I'd obviously love to be able to help them but I'm quite new to metal detecting and my Garrett and have only ever found one coin so I'm wondering if someone can suggest the best settings to give me the best chance of locating this ring. Some details...

The ring is an 18k gold eternity ring with pink diamonds set all the way round. It was lost in their garden a few years back by a little girl who was 'playing' with it - it appears to have come out of her pocket. They're now moving house and would like to know they gave finding it a good shot. So, a gold ring somewhere in an about an acre of garden will be the target of my search. What would be the best settings to have the Ace 250 set to to give me the best chance? I'd love to be able to return it to them.

All the best

Joe

Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my 10k gold cross in the all metal mode.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All metal mode.
Ground balance if possible but dont discriminate unless you hit a target.
I have an older Groundhog(Garrett).
Not sure of your settings.
But all metal would be the best.

LifeNRA

Apr 21, 2013
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me. I would start off with no iron and foil notches. Throw a gold ring on the ground and check it. Maybe even burry it a few inches to really check. Then dig up everything it finds! That's how I would start anyways.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found three gold rings and several gold "peices" of jewlery with mine. I found all of them using my coin mode. If the ring was lost recently it should be close to the surface and give off quite a strong solid signal. With my Ace 250, each gold ring I have found rung off as a solid nickle. I would think if you are in the all metal mode it will still ring off as a pull tab or a solid strong nickle signal. Hope you find it!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U got ur work cut out for u definetly if were me id use all metal u will pick up basically everything but there could b more cool things aswell & just in case its not masked by anything else to.mayb even if u dont have a pinpointer any would b better then none if u dont have one. Last since its fairly large & its friends of urs set some string up so that u can grid off área by área so ur not missing any land & not doin it twice if u can get a gold ring close to thst ones size mayb wave it under get familiar with its sound dig all sounds y not there moving might get real.Lucky with coins jewlery skys the limit hh & good luck

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
jewelry mode is great. You want to dig everything except iron. Grid the area in one direction and then grid it perpendicular to that. then grid it at an angle. You need to cover the ground really well. good luck

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so far we got a few all metals, a coin, and a c&j......sounds like he has his work cut out for him alright!:tongue3: good luck and hh. :skullflag:

OP
OP
J

JoeSmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All

Many thanks. Sounds like I do indeed have my work cut out here! I'll start with all metal work and then go through coin and jewellery. I'm determined to find it for them! I'll report back how I get on.

Thanks again.

Joe

OP
OP
J

JoeSmith

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 Ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All

Many thanks. Sounds like I do indeed have my work cut out here! I'll start with all metal work and then go through coin and jewellery. I'm determined to find it for them! I'll report back how I get on.

Thanks again.

Joe

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could find some experienced metal detectors in your area from a metal detecting or ring finders club to help you if time is short. Good luck.

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Look outside the area designated too. Many people who guess where things are lost are often completely wrong.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look outside the area designated too. Many people who guess where things are lost are often completely wrong.

True people often go to the easiest spot thats y people usually come to conclusions as to oh that spot its hunted out when in reality no spot is

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you could find some experienced metal detectors in your area from a metal detecting or ring finders club to help you if time is short. Good luck.
There are two ring finder members in France if you strike out and need to find it soon. Go to TheRingFinders.com to check the directory for a member near you.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two ring finder members in France if you strike out and need to find it soon. Go to TheRingFinders.com to check the directory for a member near you.

Ring finders & I lost my stuff both great clubs im apart of both lots of benefits og them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions