Is It Just Me or...

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if it is coincidence but alot of time when I dig up a metal object, I notice that it is under a small patch of dirt surrounded by grass. Does the presence of a metal object in the ground, even if small or deep, sometimes negatively affect the growth of grass above it? I don't notice this all of the time but notice it enough that it made me curious to ask the pros. Thanks!

Upvote 0

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed that too, I just figured relatively shallow targets prevent the grass from growing there because it is blocking the way.

The Governor

Greenie
Jul 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Too many to list.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I've personally noticed in the Southeast, that if I dig a hole with anything metal.. even aluminum cans or bottle caps have grub worms in them 25% of the time at least. Wondering if the grubs like some of the degrading minerals from metal.. be it clad, wheats, or whatever. For your question.. I live in an old farm house in the South and can't tell if the grass is negatively affected.. but what I can say is the weeds seem greener/thicker root wise and dead on the top with metal targets under them.

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped digging targets under such grass. 99.99999% of the time for me it's a shredded can.

GreatElb

Mar 24, 2013
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit send too soon. Giant "send" button on app.

Although I do find my share of clad, the ground isn't void of grass like it is when it ends up being a shredded can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread