Please Help A Novice Decide

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone!

I have seen lots of people finding awesome stuff metal detecting but i just cant see the profit in it. I am naturally business minded and i want to make sure i can make my money back if i buy a metal detector. I live in Phoenix Arizona. Is there anyone that could talk me into or out of buying a metal detector? I am a coin roll hunter right now and i enjoy it i just am not making much money.

If you could leave your suggestions on if i should get one and what kind that would be great!!!

BTW- I am on a slim budget :)

Upvote 0

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to invest in metal detecting as a source of profit, you might want to find another way of making money. I have never sold anything that I've found. This hobby is more of a addiction, and if you get addicted, you'll find yourself spending more and more money on equipment. All the great finds I have mean much more than money and it would be hard to sell them. The odds of finding high value items on a regular basis is pretty slim to none. If you want to start out for profit it's probably a bad idea. If you love old coins and relics it is well worth the money spent. A item you hunt down and dig from the ground is better than anything you can purchase. Anyway, if you do decide to start up I recommend the Fisher F2. The F2 is light, easy to use and gets pretty good depth. You can find good deals on eBay if you don't want to buy new. Good luck either way you decide/

OP
OP
P

pennynoob

Jul 14, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to invest in metal detecting as a source of profit, you might want to find another way of making money. I have never sold anything that I've found. This hobby is more of a addiction, and if you get addicted, you'll find yourself spending more and more money on equipment. All the great finds I have mean much more than money and it would be hard to sell them. The odds of finding high value items on a regular basis is pretty slim to none. If you want to start out for profit it's probably a bad idea. If you love old coins and relics it is well worth the money spent. A item you hunt down and dig from the ground is better than anything you can purchase. Anyway, if you do decide to start up I recommend the Fisher F2. The F2 is light, easy to use and gets pretty good depth. You can find good deals on eBay if you don't want to buy new. Good luck either way you decide/

I just want to make the price back and then I don't care. I love finding old stuff!!

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't buy one to try to make money unless you have a lot of time on your hands. Maybe like if you're retired or something? I wouldn't get into this if you are just in it for the money.

I've seen posts here in which people claim to make $X.XX PER HOUR digging clad, and while I'm not trying to call anyone a liar, and I'm deff not saying any names, but I find some of it very hard to believe.

On my best day of detecting (coin shooting at a nearby park) I found about $5 in about 4 hours. Now I would consider myself a novice MDer. But even if you're "pro" level and have the absolute best equipment money can buy, I find it very hard to believe a lot of what I read here- stuff like this...

"I stopped by a local spot that I often detect at to do some MDing today with my new (insert your dream detector of choice here) and in about 45 minutes I found $23 in clad plus 5 silver coins and a ladies watch with diamond studs!"

....... No you didn't.

If you detect someplace "often" how would one have missed all these things before? Did they throw a huge drunken bash at the city park where everyone just emptied there pockets randomly onto the ground? Between this time and last time you hunted it? Which was just on Tuesday? Even with the worst detector available you'd find some of it!

And something else to consider was even if you were to buy some new "wonder detector" that made that huge of a difference, is the amount of time it would take to dig that many holes for recovery to reach x amount of dollars. I don't care If you got a Quarter in every hole you dig! Or even a half in every hole...... And at various depths???

I'm sorry, it's hard to swallow that people go to places that they tell you either they themselves or some else has hunted- maybe countless times and found some crazy amount of coinage plus jewelry. I often times read things like this and try to do the math in my head, a rough guesstimate of how long it would take.....

Then there are other factors like things you are positive are dimes or Quarters because you spent a good minute maybe longer listening to it before you dig, only for it to be can slaw or whatever. Then you factor in the time spent filling the hole and replacing the plug properly to "leave no trace" which we all know EVERYONE DOES who post on Tnet?!?! Gimme a break!

The reason I went all off into that, is because I'm sure you have read wonderful stories here on Tnet, but that's the thing. They're just stories.

You need to wear long pants while actually detecting, but short ones when you read some of the post on here if you catch my drift. Don't rush out and buy a detector at all, if you feel like all you need to do is spend a grand or more on a Whites, Minelab, or Fisher plus accessories to just immediately strike it rich. Has it happened before? Sure. Will it happen for 99.9% of average detectorist? Chances are slim to none.

Only do it if you think it's something you'll enjoy. Something to be into as a hobby....... If you plan on making a living off it, I wish you the best of luck, and warn you that the insurance benefits and 401k plan suck.

As to which MD you should start with- there are lots of threads here lately that cover entry level detectors lol. Happy hunting bro!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy thinking you will get your money back right away you will be disappointed and frustrated. You may never get your money back, you may get it back after several years or only after several trips.

The rewards are in the hunting, the fresh air, enjoying being outside, the exercise and the potential of finding something lost for years either by man or by nature as the case with precious metal ore..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy thinking you will get your money back right away you will be disappointed and frustrated. You may never get your money back, you may get it back after several years or only after several trips.

The rewards are in the hunting, the fresh air, enjoying being outside, the exercise and the potential of finding something lost for years either by man or by nature as the case with precious metal ore..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Agreed as well with what others had said to theres no guarantee ur gonna make ur money back, its just a fun hobby can.u yes guaranteed no sounds to me like ur kinda looking for a get rich quick deal its really, well to me at least not what this is about, Ive found quite a bit but im also hooked on the hobby so i tend to get more things & up goes what I got into it, but im not not looking at it how u r I like collecting & finding cool things & Meeting great people good luck

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you want to make money metal detecting you may want to become a metal detector dealer. It's really just a sick obsession we have and we can't wait for the next trip as soon as we get home. Lol Do it for the enjoyment of getting out in the fresh air, getting some good exercise, sweating off a few pounds and sometimes you find something that will blow your mind. Most of the time not so much. Have fun!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at the time you put into it, the cost of the equipment and supplies, and the travel cost, you'd be better off getting a second job than using detecting as a major source of income. Naturally, you can get lucky and find a $50k ring or something similar, but odds are you won't. Still, it's a great hobby that does pay you "something" back monetarily, but even more in enjoyment. It's like asking a sport fisherman if it pays back all his costs. Most fisherman I know would be dollars ahead just buying the fish at the store. But that's not why they fish........

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been at it for a month and LOVE IT! I have $25 in coins and a silver ring so far. Its all about the chase....as Motorhead says....the chase is better than the catch! Buy one and DO IT!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like most everyone has said you need to approach it as a hobby not something you make money at. As some have said you could get lucky and make some nice finds and recoup your investment really fast but don't count on it. I have about 1400 hours detecting and picked up a little over $400 in clad and a a cpl rings. I bought an ACE 250 at first then 3 months later I bought an AT Pro. I have found enough to cover the cost of the Ace 250 but a long way from covering the ATP. What I can also tell you I have about $250 in gas for my truck. My best day I found $25 in clad, I also have a cpl $10 -$12 days but for the most part it's been $3 to $5 on a 4 hour hunt. I have drove as far as 40 miles to hunt and came back with less than $2. As the one man said it's a hobby that becomes addicting. The big find is just one swing away from the last swing.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WARNING! Metal Detecting can become addictive! The more treasure you find, you'll want MORE! Then it will be a moot point to pursue getting your money back - you won't care, after awhile - you'll see!! =D

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING! Metal Detecting can become addictive! The more treasure you find, you'll want MORE! Then it will be a moot point to pursue getting your money back - you won't care, after awhile - you'll see!! =D

Agreed 100% addictive & so is buying detectors & equipment lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread