Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a $1000 budget for a metal detector. I would prefer one with a item ID that can go at least 10-12'' CONSISTENTLY!!!! on a dime. I was thinking about a Minelab explorer SE pro, are there any users of it that can tell me how deep it can go and how reliable it is. Also, are there any other good metal detectors I could chose.

P.S. I want want honest options.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Search around for a good deal on a Minelab Sovereign Elite Metal Detector and save the rest of the money for other things! I have owned lots of metal detectors over the years and loved some of my' White's Metal Detectors but my' Minelab Sovereign Elite that I picked up for only $180 is trully amazing. We were running over some mud mound surfaces in a cave and I kept getting a strong signal as I swung it towards my' left leg. Come to find out, it was picking up the foil lined plastic zip lock packaging for the Bug Repellent Wipes in my' Cargo Pants pocket from 2' to 2 1/2' away, no joking! I am not saying that it will pick up a coin in the ground that deep but I am saying that they are amazingly sensitive and if you can get one at a cheap price, then go fo it. These sold for around $350 new and usually sell for around $300 to $325 in used condition but sometimes you can find one a lot cheaper. As stated I got mine' for $180 and that was off of Craigslist.

Frank

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of great detector NEW out there with warranty.
What kind of detecting do you want to do?
Coin?
Relic?
Gold Nugget.
If your Gold nugget hunting your probably going to be in
mineralized soil and will need a machine you can ground balance.
If that's NOT you plan you can get along without the GB feature and
save some money. Most Factory set ground balance are just fine
for coin,relic, and jewelry hunting.

On Target

Jul 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post(hope not my last). I've been researching about detectors to purchase. So much info! I'm looking at a Garrett ATPro, a Mine Lab 505,705. One question is with these units, will I be able to change coil sizes and still get good results or is the unit designed for the coil that it came with? Will mostly be hunting for coins,jewlery,etc. I will be hunting in Montgomery County,Pa. Any idea of the make up of the soil in this area? All info highly welcomed!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post(hope not my last). I've been researching about detectors to purchase. So much info! I'm looking at a Garrett ATPro, a Mine Lab 505,705. One question is with these units, will I be able to change coil sizes and still get good results or is the unit designed for the coil that it came with? Will mostly be hunting for coins,jewlery,etc. I will be hunting in Montgomery County,Pa. Any idea of the make up of the soil in this area? All info highly welcomed!

Yes I don't have minelabs yet but I have the Atpro & both coils changing them doesn't compromise the performance smaller not as much depth but better separation,lighter,balanced better,bigger more ground cover,deeper. Goin big & smaller will have advantages in each area its about using the right coil for the job just like the right tool for the job, I mean ur not gonna change ur tire on ur car with a hammer right lol good luck man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread