Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got a $1000 budget for a metal detector. I would prefer one with a item ID that can go at least 10-12'' CONSISTENTLY!!!! on a dime. I was thinking about a Minelab explorer SE pro, are there any users of it that can tell me how deep it can go and how reliable it is. Also, are there any other good metal detectors I could chose.

P.S. I want want honest options.

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will not find a detector for $1000 that will ID 10-12" on a dime consistently. I will go out on a limb and say you will never find a detector at any price that will do it.

elijahhenry10

Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll be pushing an accurate id on an 8" dime, and even that it may have jumpy numbers, where you will just have to go by sound. My F-75 will give jumpy numbers on a 8" dime, but high pitch sound.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can find a used E-trac for under 1000. I just bought one today for less than 1,000.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a $1000 budget for a metal detector. I would prefer one with a item ID that can go at least 10-12'' CONSISTENTLY!!!! on a dime. I was thinking about a Minelab explorer SE pro, are there any users of it that can tell me how deep it can go and how reliable it is. Also, are there any other good metal detectors I could chose.

P.S. I want want honest options.

Thats like more of a dream detector I mean 10"-12",consistantly u have to have perfect soil & some other variables to get there a big coil & for a machine to hit a small silver dime at that depth & b accurate all the time ya not sure ur gonna find that there r that will come close but probly not to what ur expecting

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe in dry sand you could, I do not own one, but I have heard that the Tesoro Tejon gets real deep for the price of about $650. It has no i.d. screen or vdi numbers, it its audio tones only.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think what you are asking for exist. If ya find it, let us know because we all might be interested!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hit a dime at 8" with my ATP a few days ago but that is rare. I was really surprised when I dug it because i was suspecting a tab. I get a lot of signals at 8" but when you take off 2" for the height of your swing your only going a true 6". If you wanting 10"-12" depth that is a lot of digging

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab safari u won't regret it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of choices here. My F75 will hit dimes all day long. Ten inches is a deep hole, and not legal in our parks. But I have dug coins past 12" inches. F75 is noisy, the VDI is not stable. You have over 500 settings on the F75. On 3 tone you can avoid digging most trash. Seven inches is more consistent of a hole. Ten inches does happen. Tesero makes some good detectors, T2 is a deep machine. See if you can get someone local to show you the pros and cons of their detector. I am looking at the Tesoro Vaquero right now. I have the F75, and I have seen the T2 hunt most weekends. Buy from someone you know, I dont suggest paying by making a gift through pay pal. There will be a learning curve for these mid range detectors. Good Luck.

SeminoleCo Treasure

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was pretty much looking for similar thing in a detector. JW over at Kellyco Metal Detectors recommended me the E-Series or the Safari from Minelab. Give him a call he was pretty helpful to me.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would recommend calling several of the forum sponsors for their opinion on this. Most of the sponsor use the machines they sell and having used most of the brands can give you some real good fact based opinions. I won't base my opinion on a larger purchase on just one person. That's just me though.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with dholland2. I have a Minelab Safari, I purchased it for just over a thousand with some extras they through in. I can't tell you that I can identify a dime at 8" I do a lot of digging. As some of the other guys mentioned there's no way to be sure what it is at 11". I am still learning how to use the Safari, I go by the sound more then what icon is on screen. It is a good MD and I am happy with it.

Jim

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used Minelab Explorer 2 for half a grand.

Great machine matter of fact just seen one on feebay 450$ with a sunray probe has a small ding on the screens top corner barley notice. Might b something u wanna check out I think it ends today later on

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinman123! The other day I pinged a heck of a signal with my ATP and thought I hit paydirt, after digging for what seemed a hour I finally found the natural gas line to my house!! Now thats a machine!! Then I had to fill the dang hole up!! VERDE!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I get a little giggle over the posts offering various minelab tecters as a solution to something that is simply a well accepted impossibility. No tecter can accurately id anything period, no matter what the depth, no matter what the target. OP, dont fall for bum steers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread