I cant find anywhere to find civil war stuff.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find anywhere to find civil war stuff.

So to get this started I live in Colorado right around Fort Collins. I have been metal detecting old homesteads and the like and found some platters and hammers and the sort but I want to find civil war stuff like mini-balls or buttons. I have looked online and can't find anything and the guy I know will only tell me about this site up in Nebraska and I don't want to spend more than half my day driving to get to a place. So does anyone know a site that it is legal to detect and is in my area of Colorado? Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't mean this to offend, but it's kind of like asking why I'm not finding World War II Japanese relics at my house in North Dakota.
You're not in an area that had much Civil War activity.

The people who find that stuff are usually detecting encampment areas or privately owned sections of land that encompassed the battlefield. These areas are usually going to be in the south but the term "beaten to death" does not adequately describe the current state of CW relic hunting. It's arrived at the point of needle in a haystack to get the most mundane relics.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
ethanfez, to my knowledge, there wasn't any CW activity (battles, camps, etc... ) in Colorado. The war never got over that far to the west, did it? Some of western states or "territories" might have had militias (in case the war ever DID get that far west). And Colorado wasn't even a state yet (but perhaps had a militia as a mere "territory" ?

But that's not to say there wasn't people there in the 1860s, of the CW times though (early homesteaders, and the very earliest beginnings of cities, ranches, etc....). And CW soldiers moving to your area might have brought buttons with them, to where the eventually settled. As for pistol balls, sure: Any gun date to before the 1860s would be firing pistol balls. So it's entirely possible to find pistol balls there. Not necessarily d/t "civil war" activity, but simply because those were the kinds of guns people still used during the 1860 and '70s (before the eventual retirement of all such older guns, when people were switching over to the better modern guns).

So just go look for places that had history of settlement as early as the mid 1860s in your area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ethanfez, to my knowledge, there wasn't any CW activity (battles, camps, etc... ) in Colorado. The war never got over that far to the west, did it? Some of western states or "territories" might have had militias (in case the war ever DID get that far west). And Colorado wasn't even a state yet (but perhaps had a militia as a mere "territory" ?

But that's not to say there wasn't people there in the 1860s, of the CW times though (early homesteaders, and the very earliest beginnings of cities, ranches, etc....). And CW soldiers moving to your area might have brought buttons with them, to where the eventually settled. As for pistol balls, sure: Any gun date to before the 1860s would be firing pistol balls. So it's entirely possible to find pistol balls there. Not necessarily d/t "civil war" activity, but simply because those were the kinds of guns people still used during the 1860 and '70s (before the eventual retirement of all such older guns, when people were switching over to the better modern guns).

So just go look for places that had history of settlement as early as the mid 1860s in your area.

Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Another thought: In that time period of the CW , your state had military fort sites . Not necessarilly d/t the CW , but for westward expansion and settler/indian stuff . You can research fort sites , and those would have the type relics you list.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't there a gold rush in Colorado at some point? It might be worthwhile to research that to see what areas where prospected and mined. Companies that would have funded these excursions are pretty good at leaving nothing no gold behind once they are on it, but it could mean finding some cool artifacts from the era?!?!

Pickaxes, lanterns, pistols, any personal belongs made of metal etc. used by the miners then left behind..... That could be cool!

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the above comment about gold mining ---- When the Georgia Gold Rush was at it fullest , there was a town in Georgia named , AURARIA When gold was discovered out west in 1849 large groups left Georgia to find their richs elsewhere, Some when to CO. and in respect for the previous town AURARIA founded what you call AURORA That might be a jumping off point for your adventures ------
Also try to find a CO. state website that lists all the historical road side markers ------ Although the markers rarely sit directly on a site usually just off a highway , they will give you insight into areas where activity had taken place < Stagestops , Bars , forts ect ----- We have found these to be very useful in locating areas of CW line of march ect down here
Always remember activity was always very fluid so areas around a location will produce ------ Also areas around water , streams creeks are also productive
This sounds silly but sometimes you actually have to visit the prospective location , without all you gear and just stand there and look in over--- We call it down here picking up the VIBES You would be very suprised in the thoughts that will cross you mind If you look at the area with a clear head and think as a person would have back in those times
We found a very productive area about 50 feet off a creek that had a huge flat boulder sticking out at ground level , We realized that it would have been a perfect CAMPSITE ------ Upon returning we located a small cave , ( rock overhang ) took us 4 visits to fully explore it , found stuff from the 1850's through the present ( boy friend / Girlfriend stuff ) Guess it was a big " hook up " spot
Again as I always say RESEARCH IS THE KEY The more research the better you chances ----without research your wasting your time

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread