winter detecting idea. Any thoughts on this one?

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
I was talking to whitesid in chatroom and we were discussing using a torch on the frozen ground to see if it would make it easier to dig by thawing it out. Anyone ever try this crazy idea? I have one of those little propane torches that you get at Lowes or Home Depot and thought I might give it a shot, just to see if I can thaw the ground enough to get through the frozen tundra. I'll let you all know when I try it but would like to hear if anyone has tried.

Thanks.

Funkman

Upvote 0

onlylar

Feb 2, 2007
Northwest NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Sounds like the 'Scorched Earth policy', alot of work if you could, have to heat up ever signal you think is good,,,first shovel the snow away too

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow I thought I had cabin fever! I think you are barking up the wrong tree. find a friend with a dirt basement or better yet under porches that dirt is so dry there is nothing to freeze both are great places to find a cash if it is an older home. root cellars, spring houses, crawl spaces, barn basements, all notorious cash spots! just think dirt floors you must know of a few at least. or am I the only hillbilly here?

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
I would be careful with a torch on frozen ground,it could very well pop high velocity chunks in your face. My Dad used to dig graves in the winter and he used hot water

emesis

Mar 12, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thermite bomb, similar to the one used in "The Thing From Another World"(the 1950's original). I personally would wait for spring.
PFP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread