Need Natural Bug Off Recommendation

cusedpjd

Jun 4, 2013
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went into the woods for a hunt today. It was hot and I was covered from head to toe. The only skin exposed was my face, the back of my neck, lower back of my head, and lower back when bending over. I had a thin long sleeve shirt on and the bus did not care. They bit through my shirt, especially the shoulder area. The most annoying thing was them buzzing at me every 5 seconds. Definitely can't do this again without some type of bug off. I don't want to rub chemicals like DEET all over and was wondering if anyone had an all natural bug off product to suggest, hopefully something that smells bad to the bugs but doesn't make me smell vile to others. :) I appreciate it in advance. Thanks!

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eucalyptus oil n almond oil 50%50%

Huh kinda like the one I had mentioned aswell will the oils herbal armor does work

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the Jungles of Louisiana, a towel around the neck Vietnam style helps keep the mosquitoes away.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also just posted this in tech talk thread, I seen this article today,
I don't know if ya'll are already aware of it or it's been discussed previously,
but if not, I hope this info can help some out there. HH!

A Force Field Against Mosquitoes?

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem with bugs. I hate deet so I did :read2:some research about natural and native bug deterrents. I didn't find too much really, just the stuff that's all ready been talked about. Then I found a suggestion about using sassafras. Can't remember the website. Just pick a couple leaves and tear them up then rub them between your hands to get the juices flowing then rub on exposed skin. It smells good too, kinda like orange or lemon zest. I was amazed how good this worked. The mosquitoes can't stand the stuff. It does wear off after a couple hours. But just pick a couple more leaves and reapply. I don't know how good it works for ticks but I have other stuff for that.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eating garlic, dryer sheets, those therms cells work great. Maybe onion also since its in the same family as garlic. I'm allergic to deet and Try'd that skinsosoft and it didnt work to well for any of us.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather used to fish at a place called "Bull Gnat Creek", nobody would go there due to all the gnats. He used to rub vanilla extract on himself and us kids that went with him, and none of us ever got bit, bugs would buzz around but no bites. Ticks and fleas i know my grandmother used to make us take sulphur pills, and she put a little vinegar or sulphur in the dogs water bowls and they never got them either. Something about it making your blood acidic and if a flea or tick wanted to munch on you it reconsidered. For mosquitos i think she used some kind of mint or camphor oils mixed with other stuff and diluted in water. Sorry i don't have any other remedies, i will try asking my grandmother and uncle they are big herbalists and may have other recipes.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I have used Crocodile herbal insect repellent in California, Nicaragua, El Salvador and other places. I am usually the only one that doesn't get bit. I also take B complex vitamins, which is all I used to use unless they were real bad. Then I found the Crocodile repellent. I have been through several containers of it.
Their candle worked well in El Salvador, which is the only place I have had to use it.
Dancing Roots: Crocodile! Insect Repellent

It even works against bed bugs......(At least we had a room.)
R

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A thermocell and a generous application of 100% deet sprayed on your clothes and a towel that you keep across your neck. It is the only thing that works when them darn alaskan mosquitos attack. Works well in the woods down here in the lower 48 too.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread