Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, it is heavier. I've considered using a sling, but haven't yet. After a couple hours using it, I switch arms for a little bit.

It is fairly tough getting to know the machine, a long learning curve. But once you get used to what you're hearing, it is a beast! I don't pay so much attention to the FE-CO readings, rely on the sound. I DO look at the numbers before I dig, specifically in pin pointing - you're apt to hear a lot of falsing signals if you have your sensitivity set high. I've noticed those "documented" FE-CO coin values can vary quite a bit. If I've what I consider a good sound, I dig it whatever the numbers.

If you go back to the basics of detecting when we just had VLF or BFO sounds to rely on, then you're in the groove to easily learn the E-Trac sounds. With VLF, I knew I had a deep silver dime before even digging. It's all about what the machine tells you.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it's not really that much heavier than many others, it's just that the balance of it sucks. Get a sling for it, it's a world of difference. You can also get a Sunray X-8 coil which is lighter and makes a big difference too.

The Minelab CTX is heavier than the E-Trac by about a pound but it's easy as pie to swing all day because it has better ergonomics.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is heavier. I've considered using a sling, but haven't yet. After a couple hours using it, I switch arms for a little bit.

It is fairly tough getting to know the machine, a long learning curve. But once you get used to what you're hearing, it is a beast! I don't pay so much attention to the FE-CO readings, rely on the sound. I DO look at the numbers before I dig, specifically in pin pointing - you're apt to hear a lot of falsing signals if you have your sensitivity set high. I've noticed those "documented" FE-CO coin values can vary quite a bit. If I've what I consider a good sound, I dig it whatever the numbers.

If you go back to the basics of detecting when we just had VLF or BFO sounds to rely on, then you're in the groove to easily learn the E-Trac sounds. With VLF, I knew I had a deep silver dime before even digging. It's all about what the machine tells you.

If ur in the market for a sling I recommend the detecting buddy its cheap compared to others,I've used it on the Atpro,v3i & couple others & it makes them all honestly weightless 1 finger to swing em

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... A little heavier than the T2, but not by much. Like the others have said, go by sound instead of the numbers.... I don't look at the numbers until I have it pinpointed- then wiggle a little to get the most accurate numerical ID it will give you. The deeper the target is, the more the FE number will be off. The highest FE number I've seen for a silver is 19, so they can vary a little from the "12 line".

Hope that helps!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great all around detector. If you're going to use it at the beach or a large field, get a 15" Coiltek WOT coil for it. You can cover lots of ground and it still picks up small targets. I have the stock coil, 5X10 Coiltek Joey, and the WOT. All work great on coins and jewelry. I use the Detecting Buddy sling with the WOT coil but not often with the others. A lot will depend on your arm strength and how long you hunt. It's only $20 so it's not a big investment.

BHNugget

Aug 8, 2009
Western,SD
Detector(s) used
ETrac/X1
Sovereign GT/S1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one with an X-1 on it. I pretty much use it for parks and don't think its too much heavier than other machines Ive had, but I almost always let the coil ride in the grass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread