1st time out Perdido Key

Lord E-Z

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
My son and I did our first beach hunt today. Had fun and found lots of beer cans, soda cans, bobby pins etc. we the decided to go hunt an old home foundation near by and for all sorts of junk. Was almost done when we found these two bullets...wow!
Not sure what kind but they look different and were about 4 inches deep in the same general location. Anyone have a clue what kind they might be?

Michael E-Z Amstutz (Minelab Xterra 305)

Attachments

• image-2374762386.jpg
    image-2374762386.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 173
  • image-2069330392.jpg
    image-2069330392.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds especially when you share the hunt with your son Lord E-Z. A member will jump in shortly with your cartridge ID.

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the bullets. The beach has lots of junk, but you usually have to dig the junk to find the gold.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not .50 AE, looks like somebody got happy with an M2! Any military activity in the area before?

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I looked again, deff probably came from an M2 if they're the same diameter, I notice one is boattail and one is flat, the flat one is most likely the tracer round, the other looks like AP. So I'm with Jason probably .50 ( the full size, not .50 AE from a handgun).

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes agreed its like the only other thing that makes this hobby that much more fun is doin it with the family, nicley done happy hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Located near NAS Pensacola

Michael E-Z Amstutz (Minelab Xterra 305)

Then these are probably from WW2 training. I have found some off of Venice beach and they had a WW2 air base there.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Then these are probably from WW2 training. I have found some off of Venice beach and they had a WW2 air base there.

Agreed, but they but they may or may not be, older or newer, than that- we've been using that round for almost 100 years now!

They are in pretty good shape, for fired projectiles?!? How deep down were they?

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read years ago about these inflatable "balloon" type things the navy used to use for air combat target practice before/ during WW2.... It's cool to think these may have been fired from a Wildcat, Hellcat, or Corsair during a live fire exercise!

OP
OP
Lord E-Z

Lord E-Z

Greenie
Jul 20, 2013
Found this in an online Pensacola forum and it gives a little insight into why I'm finding 50 cal bullets and other stuff all over the beach.

"Perdido Key used to be a training ground during WW-II. I have found practice bombs... LIVE .50 caliber ammo... and tons of bullets." -(poster unknown)

E-Z Amstutz (Minelab Xterra 305)

Pressureman

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 and 30 cal rounds on Perdido Key

I read years ago about these inflatable "balloon" type things the navy used to use for air combat target practice before/ during WW2.... It's cool to think these may have been fired from a Wildcat, Hellcat, or Corsair during a live fire exercise!

I have been finding spent 50 and 30 cal. Rounds off the beach from when I was a child in the early 60's. We had a beach house there and right next door was some old school buses or what was left of them. They were used as target practice during or before WW2. Where did you find those?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions